Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

newbie help in importing midi file

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: newbie help in importing midi file (separating tracks)

Postby David Smith » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:09 am

... Notion will import it as two separate instruments, but you can then easily cut and paste it into one.

What an obvious solution!! Wasn't thinking that way - thanks!!

I have two problems with this answer from my experience:
2) As far as I've discovered in years with Notion, there is no way to combine two tracks into one using cut and paste [only manually, whether to one part or to two parts within a track). I so wish it were possible to combine/merge or separate two tracks to/from parts or to/from voices. (Has anyone discovered a way?)

1) Also, at least from Logic, I have tried to export tracks even one at a time to std midi and invariably get jumbled import, with measures off by a note in sections, but most difficult, a single track import will have a multi-part lines which must be tediously re-built. I've never been able to reliably import an entire part to a single track. (If only there were a merge parts to one voice)
David Smith

Re: newbie help in importing midi file (separating tracks)

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:20 am

David Smith wrote:
... Notion will import it as two separate instruments, but you can then easily cut and paste it into one.

What an obvious solution!! Wasn't thinking that way - thanks!!

I have two problems with this answer from my experience:
2) As far as I've discovered in years with Notion, there is no way to combine two tracks into one using cut and paste [only manually, whether to one part or to two parts within a track). I so wish it were possible to combine/merge or separate two tracks to/from parts or to/from voices. (Has anyone discovered a way?)

1) Also, at least from Logic, I have tried to export tracks even one at a time to std midi and invariably get jumbled import, with measures off by a note in sections, but most difficult, a single track import will have a multi-part lines which must be tediously re-built. I've never been able to reliably import an entire part to a single track. (If only there were a merge parts to one voice)

The technique works nicely once you understand it! :)

Remember that the goals in the relevant scenario are (a) to separate the bass clef notes from the treble clef notes while in Reason 7 and then (b) to import into NOTION 4 the two MIDI files, each of which creates a single NOTION 4 staff, which you then combine via two simple copy and paste actions to a NOTION 4 grand staff . . .

The key to this technique is to use a grand staff in NOTION 4, since you can paste separately into each staff (bass and treble) of a NOTION 4 grand staff . . .

[NOTE: Once you have pasted the melody onto the treble staff of the NOTION 4 grand staff and have pasted the bass onto the bass staff of NOTION 4 grand staff, if you desire, you can change the staff to a standard staff via NOTION 4 Score Setup and the melody and bass lines will merge. They will play correctly but instead of being separated to bass and treble staves, the notes will be on a single staff. The "split" information is preserved, so you can switch it back to a grand staff later, if you desire. NOTION 4 does a lot more stuff than is documented in the NOTION 4 User Guide, but discovering the details is an advanced activity which primarily requires doing experiments. At present, the most mind-boggling experiment I have performed involved a ReWire 2 session where both NOTION 4 and Reason 7 were ReWire 2 slaves. NOTION 4 controlled its own virtual instruments, VSTi virtual instruments, and Reason 7 synthesizers (the latter via NOTION 4 External MIDI staves and a "virtual MIDI cable"). At the same time, Reason 7 controlled its synthesizers and played NOTION 4 virtual instruments as well as VSTi virtual instruments hosted by NOTION 4 (via the new Reason 7 External MIDI Instrument functionality). In addition, both NOTION 4 and Reason 7 were able to play virtual instruments hosted by the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application which was the ReWire 2 host controller; and the DAW application was able to play NOTION 4 and Reason 7 virtual instruments and synthesizers via MIDI, which is the way it works when skilled software engineers follow the rules for implementing the various industry standard technologies . . . ]

This NOTION 4 score using the NOTION 4 Piano demonstrates the general concept, where the top two sequence staves are the MIDI exported by Reason 7 and then imported to NOTION 4 . . .

[NOTE: I left the two MIDI files imported from Reason 7 in sequencer format for clarity, but as you know, you can convert the sequencer information to music notation once it has been imported to NOTION 4 . . . ]

"R7-MIDI-Export-N4-MIDI-Import.notion" (approximately 106KB)

Once the MIDI was imported from Reason 7, I copied and pasted the bass notes (channel 1) to the bass clef of the NOTION 4 Piano staff and then copied and pasted the melody notes to the treble clef of the NOTION 4 Piano staff . . .

THOUGHTS

As noted (see above), the key is that you are exporting single staves from Reason 7 and then importing them as single staves in NOTION 4, after which you copy and paste them to their respective staves on a grand staff . . .

Regarding the Logic Pro behaviors, if you can provide a bit more information, I can do some experiments toward the goal of determining whether there is a nice solution . . .

A simple example might be helpful in understanding what you want to do in this respect . . .

Lots of FUN! :D

P. S. If you have been spending a lot of time in the mathematical fourth dimension, then you might be turned-around, which occasionally happens . . .

It's not a big deal, and all you need to do is turn-around the other way before returning the next time you jump into the mathematical fourth dimension . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Re: newbie help in importing midi file

Postby ghess1000 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:52 pm

David

Are you using Type 1 MIDI files? Type 0 will put everything on one channel, type 1 will separate them. You shouldn't have a problem importing Type 1 files. And as Whammy said in his unique verbose way, the OP was importing a piano part on a grand staff. You are right that you can't overlay a new voice over an existing voice on the same staff in N4.
George Hess
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
National University of Singapore
MBP, 2.3 GHZ Quad i7, OSX 10.9.3, 16 GB RAM
ghess1000

Previous

Return to NOTION