Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How do you do drum rolls/flams?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How do you do drum rolls/flams?

Postby saintdufus » Thu May 22, 2014 8:53 pm

A couple of questions about composing drums:

1. How do you do a snare or cymbal roll?

I've managed to simulate a halfway-decent snare roll using trill, but I'm wondering if there's a more realistic-sounding method. (Timpani rolls sound great using the trill.) As for a cymbal roll, I have not yet figured out how to do even an artificial one--the above technique doesn't seem to work.

2. How do you do a snare flam?

I've tried using a grace note, but this didn't give me as tight a flam as I would like; is there a better way?

Thanks for your help!
saintdufus

Re: How do you do drum rolls/flams?

Postby thorrild » Fri May 23, 2014 8:03 am

saintdufus wrote:A couple of questions about composing drums:

Select the note(s) you want to roll and press the slash key [/] 3 times.

saintdufus wrote:2. How do you do a snare flam?

I think the grace note is your only option so far. You are right that it is limited, because it always plays back as a strict 32nd note. Even pressing Tab to adjust its starting point manually doesn't seem to work for me. Several months ago, I emailed a feature request to Brian in tech support about the ability to adjust the duration of gracenotes. Who knows, maybe it will make it into an update one of these days. Perhaps if you add your voice to the chorus and email Brian at support@notionmusic.com it will move the feature request up a step on the ladder to reality.

Best,
Thorrild

PS: There is an express entry feature for flam (type ' + flam) described in the User Guide under Special Markings for Percussion, but unfortunately it is not hooked up for playback, at least not with Notion's built-in snare drum.
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby kmlandre » Fri May 23, 2014 3:35 pm

SnareExample.wav
(3.95 MiB) Downloaded 565 times
I will have to beg to differe, Meister Thorrild.

I believe the markup works just fine, but I enter mine from the palette as opposed to the keyboard shortcuts...

I've included a screen shot and audio example:

SnareExample.png
SnareExample.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 8659 times

SnareExample.wav
(3.95 MiB) Downloaded 565 times

Is it possible your entry method is breaking the flam for you?

Kurt M. Landre'
https://www.SoundCloud.com/kmlandre
kmlandre

Postby saintdufus » Fri May 23, 2014 7:14 pm

thorrild wrote:
saintdufus wrote:A couple of questions about composing drums:

Select the note(s) you want to roll and press the slash key [/] 3 times.

saintdufus wrote:2. How do you do a snare flam?

I think the grace note is your only option so far. You are right that it is limited, because it always plays back as a strict 32nd note. Even pressing Tab to adjust its starting point manually doesn't seem to work for me. Several months ago, I emailed a feature request to Brian in tech support about the ability to adjust the duration of gracenotes. Who knows, maybe it will make it into an update one of these days. Perhaps if you add your voice to the chorus and email Brian at support@notionmusic.com it will move the feature request up a step on the ladder to reality.

Best,
Thorrild

PS: There is an express entry feature for flam (type ' + flam) described in the User Guide under Special Markings for Percussion, but unfortunately it is not hooked up for playback, at least not with Notion's built-in snare drum.

Thorrild, thanks so much for your help with this--I had not yet found that keyboard shortcut.

Kurt's flam solution below worked for me (does it work for you?), but I totally agree with you about the need to tighten grace notes in general--indeed, I have been rueing this very defect throughout my current composition, which is replete with grace notes. I will gladly add my voice to your chorus.
saintdufus

Postby saintdufus » Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm

kmlandre wrote:
SnareExample.wav

I believe the markup works just fine, but I enter mine from the palette as opposed to the keyboard shortcuts...

I've included a screen shot and audio example:

SnareExample.png

SnareExample.wav

Kurt M. Landre'

Kurt, thanks for your help--I had completely missed the flam command on the palette. Cheers!
saintdufus

Postby thorrild » Sat May 24, 2014 1:23 pm

kmlandre wrote:
The attachment SnareExample.wav is no longer available

[snip]

Kurt M. Landre'

Kurt, you are exactly right, of course. My mistake was that I used the snare drum in the drum set sample, and it doesn't recognize the flam marking. Only the single-line snare instrument does it. Here is a file that illustrates it. The flam marking is entered twice on each instrument — once using the apostrophe shortcut, and once using the technique from the palette. There is no difference in how it is entered.

Best,
Thorrild
Snare flam.notion
(40.8 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to NOTION