Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Move License

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Move License

Postby Cesare » Sat May 17, 2014 6:47 am

Hallo,
just upgraded to Mac OS X.9 on a new separate SSD drive. I want to move my license of Notion there. What should I do?
Best,
Cesare
Cesare

Re: Move License

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat May 17, 2014 7:10 am

Cesare wrote:Hallo,
just upgraded to Mac OS X.9 on a new separate SSD drive. I want to move my license of Notion there. What should I do?
Best,
Cesare

Call Notion Music customer support, and they can provide the best advice, plus if you need any updates to your NOTION 4 license they are the only folks who can do it . . .

THOUGHTS

Another possible strategy is to clone your existing internal hard drive to the new SSD drive using SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket), but (a) this only works if your SSD drive has enough capacity; (b) it requires redoing the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks); and (c) depending on the way the NOTION licensing software uniquely identifies your Mac, it might not work because the SSD drive probably will have a different ID or numeric footprint . . .

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

If you are going to keep the current internal hard drive and if the current internal hard drive has the actual license, then you probably can copy the NOTION 4 application to the SSD drive and run the application from the SSD drive . . .

The strategy I use is to get a new Seagate internal hard drive and then to clone the existing primary Seagate internal hard drive with SuperDuper!, followed by doing a bit of testing; and then I remove the "old" primary internal hard drive and start using the newly cloned primary internal hard drive, which I use to do the operating system update . . .

This has the advantage of making it possible to revert if there are any problems, and so far I have not had to do anything with software licenses other than the license for Digital Performer (MOTU), which requires inserting the original DVD and the license for Reason (Propellerhead Software), which just requires a soft reboot since its license is on a Propellerhead Software USB dongle. And one time, I had to update the license for MachFIve 3, but it is done with a iLok USB dongle, hence is done via the iLok authorizer application, because the actual licenses are stored and maintained by the iLok folks . . .

All things considered, it is easiest to call Notion Music customer support . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Re: Move License

Postby Wolfgang » Sun May 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Once I backed up my whole HDD and restored it using Time Machine. Afterwards Notion still was activated and working properly.
If it fails, write the support.
Wolfgang

Return to NOTION