Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Bundled sounds download crash???

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Bundled sounds download crash???

Postby LarsikComposer » Tue May 13, 2014 6:12 pm

I`ve just upgraded from notion3 to notion4. The installation of the program worked fine, but when I try to install the bundled sounds it crashes everytime. What can I do? This is really frustrating.
LarsikComposer

Re: Bundled sounds download crash???

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed May 14, 2014 5:19 am

LarsikComposer wrote:I`ve just upgraded from notion3 to notion4. The installation of the program worked fine, but when I try to install the bundled sounds it crashes everytime. What can I do? This is really frustrating.

As I recall, there are a few scenarios in which this or something similar can happen, but without more information it is not so easy to provide specific advice . . .

Nevertheless, there are a few bits of information that might be helpful . . .

[NOTE: I do everything on the Mac, so the screens are the Mac versions . . . ]

(1) There is a download page for the NOTION 4 bundled sounds at the Notion Music website, and the way you navigate to it begins by starting NOTION 4 . . .

When NOTION 4 is loaded and running, click on the "Notion" menu, and then click on the "Check For Sounds Updates . . ." menu item . . .

This will cause the "Update Instruments" dialog to appear, at which time you will click on the "Visit Download Page" button at the lower-left corner . . .

This will start your web browser, which on the Mac will be Safari. On a Windows computer, it probably will be Internet Explorer, but this is only a guess since I do everything on the Mac and at present do not have a Windows computer from this century or millennium, which if nothing else provides a clue regarding when I made the vastly brilliant decision to switch to the Mac . . .

On the "NOTION Music ~ Notion 4 Sample Update" website page, you will find links to the Mac and Windows "Notion Bundled Sounds Installer", and if you use this strategy a download will be started which proceeds to download the entire set of sampled sounds (approximately 6.5GB of data) . . .

Depending on your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and download speed, the installer strategy can work nicely, but as noted (see above), it is a large download and this can be troublesome if your ISP is aggressive in its implementation of throttling or metering web traffic, where what happens is that the download speed is fast for the first 100MB of data but then slows to a crawl and essentially never completes, which when this occurs is entirely due to the local or regional ISP, because the download servers Notion Music uses are very fast with more than sufficient bandwidth resources to handle large downloads for multiple sets of Notion Music customers simultaneously. In particular, Cox and Comcast tend to use nearly Draconian throttling and metering algorithms, as do some of the other national and regional ISP companies; and on a related note, all of them are trying to get the FCC to allow various types of throttling and metering schemes that, if allowed, will be the end of so-called "net neutrality", where high-speed downloads only will be available when companies and customers pay extra for it, with the common folk typically getting slow response and lousy throughput in general . . .

FCC Net-Neutrality Plan in Chaos (Time Magazine, May 2014)

The other strategy, which also is explained at the "NOTION Music ~ Notion 4 Sample Update" website page, consists of downloading individual sections or instrument groups separately, which keeps the download file sizes smaller, hence is less likely to cause the downloads to be throttled or metered by the local ISP, although if you stack them, the same thing happens, hence if this is the strategy you select, then you will want to do them in small sets or individually in a sequence. And there are instructions that explain how to get the files into the correct locations, which basically is to unzip the files; to start NOTION 4; and then to double-click on each of the sampled sound libraries, which causes NOTION 4 to do the copying and installing . . .

THOUGHTS

If you are trying to install the NOTION 4 bundled sounds from a DVD, then try copying the files manually to your computer, which is like the second strategy (see above). Sometimes installer programs do not work so well or the licensing scheme changes, where for example this is something that happened for a while with some of the IK Multimedia products when they switched to a different licensing scheme . . .

One of these strategies will work, but if not then you can call Notion Music customer support and get more specific help, although you should be able to get the NOTION 4 bundled sounds installed with the information provided in this post. The only reason for this not working that comes to mind is that you might be doing something non-standard with respect to the way you installed NOTION 4 or the particular type of user account you are using, which for the Mac should be an account with full administrator privileges. For Windows, the account privilege requirements are a bit different, but an account with full administrator privileges can do anything, which is a useful thing to remember . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby LarsikComposer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:36 pm

Thank you very much for your long and informational reply.
I downloaded the samples from the download page
http://www.notionmusic.com/support/noti ... pdate.html
and it worked fine:)

But one more question? Are the sounds new? Some of the sounds are different from the ones I had with Notion 3 (especially the woodwinds).
LarsikComposer

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:37 pm

LarsikComposer wrote:Thank you very much for your long and informational reply.
I downloaded the samples from the download page
http://www.notionmusic.com/support/noti ... pdate.html
and it worked fine:)

But one more question? Are the sounds new? Some of the sounds are different from the ones I had with Notion 3 (especially the woodwinds).

Glad to help!

There are new and updated sounds in NOTION 4, and since the first version of NOTION 4 was released, Notion Music has added more sounds . . .

Lots of FUN! :D
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby LarsikComposer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 am

Ok, thank you :)

Unfortunately, I have found out that my CSR Hall doesn`t work in Notion 4. Is this normal or do have to do something to make it work again?
LarsikComposer

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:30 pm

LarsikComposer wrote:Ok, thank you :)

Unfortunately, I have found out that my CSR Hall doesn`t work in Notion 4. Is this normal or do have to do something to make it work again?

The IK Multimedia CSR Hall reverb unit that came with NOTION 3 is 32-bit only, and you are running NOTION 4 in 64-bit mode . . .

There is a newer version that runs in 64-bit mode, but you have to purchase it; and at present there are no attractive discount sales at IK Multimedia, hence this is not a good time to purchase IK Multimedia desktop computer products . . .

If I were making predictions, one prediction is that when IK Multimedia gets around to releasing SampleTank 3, perhaps sometime this year (2014), they will have a discount extravaganza, and that will be the time to do some outstanding discount shopping, but at present all the IK Multimedia virtual instruments are 32-bit only, although everything else works nicely in 64-bit mode (ARC System 2, AmpliTube, CSR Classik Reverb, T-RackS) . . .

You can purchase CSR Hall separately via T-RackS Custom Shop for $80 (US); and you can purchase CSR Classik Studio Reverb (CSR Hall, CSR Plate, CSR Room, and CSR Inverse) for $100 (US), but these are not attractive prices compared to the typical prices when IK Multimedia is having a discount extravaganza . . .

Depending on your preferred musical genres, you might want to consider Timeless 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments), which among other things is the best echo unit available on this planet. It also does reverb, and it has several intriguing reverb presets. It costs $145 (US), and there are a few other FabFilter Software Instrument products that in my view are mandatory for producing songs in modern musical genres, especially Pop songs . . .

Timeless 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments)

Pro-C (FabFilter Software Instruments) is the best plug-in for "ducking", and "ducking" is one of the best kept secrets of producing. I also use Pro-Q, Saturn, Twin 2, and Volcano . . .

THOUGHTS

It is possible that since you have a license for CSR Hall, this might qualify you for a free upgrade to the 64-bit version of CSR Hall. This is the case if you have the 32-bit only version of CSR Classik Studio Reverb, so it might be the case for CSR Hall only . . .

It does not cost anything to do the experiment . . .

(1) You need to register CSR Hall with IK Multimedia, which includes creating an IK Multimedia User Account. This does not cost anything, and it gets you $5 (US) of Jam Points as a bonus for registering . . .

(2) You will download and install the free version of T-RackS Custom Shop and then do a refresh of your registered product(s) from within T-RackS CS . . .

(3) If there is a free update for CSR Hall, it will be downloaded and installed as part of the refresh; and it also will install the VST effects plug-in that you will need for NOTION 4 . . .

This might work, but if not then at least you get a free compressor-limiter and metering section, which are useful (more so the metering section) . . .

[NOTE: The link to download the free version of T-RackS CS is on the left side of the page . . . ]

T-RackS CS (IK Multimedia)

I use CSR Classik Studio Reverb for my primary reverb, and I use Timeless 2 for my primary echo; but I also use Timeless 2 for certain types of reverb configurations . . .

This song has lot of finely tuned reverb and custom echoes, and it started as a bit of silliness in a post in the Songwriting section of the GuitarZone.com FORUM, where I explained that one way to create a new song is to have a bit of FUN doing a caricature of an existing hit song, where the song I used was "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" (Beatles); but after pondering the caricatured lyrics for a while, I decided that it was not so silly, so I composed music and then, since the lyrics were too complex to map to a melody, I did it as a melodic spoken word type of thing with a bit of singing every once in a while. The interlude "borrows" a few ideas from "Not Myself Tonight" (Christina Aguilera), since the general strategy here in the sound isolation studio is to avoid having any original ideas whenever possible, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: This is best enjoyed when listening with studio quality headphones, and all the instrumentation was done with music notation and virtual instruments in NOTION, but it was produced and mixed in Digital Performer (MOTU), where is where I did the reverb and custom echoes . . . ]

"Baby You Were Only Dreaming" (The Surf Whammys) ~ YouTube music video

Fabulous! :P
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby LarsikComposer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Your replies are very good and with lots of information. I really appreciate it. Thank you for your time :)
LarsikComposer

Return to NOTION