Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Glitches at bars start sequencing

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Glitches at bars start sequencing

Postby Cerb » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:37 am

Hi

With a quite heavy template (nearly full orchestra with light EWQLSO presets), I suffer quite systematic glitches during playback in edit mode, at the precise moment when the playback marker jumps from one bar to the other.

I already tried to set my ASIO drivers buffer since I'm around 80% of my CPU capacity, but it doesn't change anything.

Do you guys encounter the same behavior?
Is it a Notion issue?

Cerb
Cerb

Re: Glitches at bars start sequencing

Postby pcartwright » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Have you tried using Notion's bundled sounds as a comparison? I don't use EWQLSO (so this is a total guess), but the situation you're describing sounds like you've maxed out your RAM (or you're close to maximizing your RAM). Try playing your piece with the Notion bundled sounds and see if you get the same glitches during playback; if you don't hear the same glitches then I'd be willing to bet it's a RAM issue.
pcartwright

Postby Cerb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for your answer pcartwright.

Actually it seems that after reboot of my pc things are far better. Wondering if this was a pc issue or a bad refreshing of my ASIO settings. Indeed it ooked very much like a RAM issue, but the fact that it was systematic on the first beat of a bar made me wonder anyway.

I'll try to monitor this behaviour.
Cerb

Postby FX1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:12 am

I'm getting a "glitch" while entering notes using the stock samples supplied with Notion. So far I only have woodwinds scored, about 700 measures of a Beethoven score. Two of each instrument. About the time I started the Bassoons I started getting major hang time when entering the first note of each measure. Subsequent notes in that measure work fine. Only the first beat of every bar. The computer hangs for a minute then enters the note.

If I shut down and reboot it's all fine again for a while then back to the hang time.

fyi: I'm on xp pro with 3 GB of ram.
FX1

Postby posssu » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 am

FX1 wrote:I'm getting a "glitch" while entering notes using the stock samples supplied with Notion. So far I only have woodwinds scored, about 700 measures of a Beethoven score. Two of each instrument. About the time I started the Bassoons I started getting major hang time when entering the first note of each measure. Subsequent notes in that measure work fine. Only the first beat of every bar. The computer hangs for a minute then enters the note.

If I shut down and reboot it's all fine again for a while then back to the hang time.

fyi: I'm on xp pro with 3 GB of ram.

I'm on a mac, but I've also noticed that Notion gets a bit slower when you use it for a while (although not as much as you're experiencing) - I was wondering if this might be caused by a growing undo history? If you restart just Notion, does this have any effect or do you always have to restart the computer as well?
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby FX1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm

For me, I downloaded and installed the latest upgrade and although I have not had the total hang time (hourglass hold time) like before, each first note hangs when it sounds as you insert it. Subsequent notes are the normal short sound for me.

Testing it again... a reboot of Notion only did not fix it. Rebooting the whole system and reloading Notion and the score... first note of first bar still sounding for an extraordinary amount of time.

So to answer your question, with the update although there seems to be improvement with this issue, it still exists in a slightly lesser irritating form. :D

***Update, it's just as bad as before on the new build. Maybe worse. I tried checking asio settings and notion crashed.
FX1

Return to NOTION