Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Concertmaster Solo on VI staff

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Concertmaster Solo on VI staff

Postby broozar » Wed May 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi folks,

I want a concertmaster solo in my orchestral piece, and I want it to be in the same staff as all the other 1st violins. I will probably just write "Solo" over the part, but that does not help with the audio playback. Do you have any suggestions on how to accurately (notation + playback) handle this case?

cheers
felix
broozar

Re: Concertmaster Solo on VI staff

Postby idiotSavant » Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Are you using Notion Instruments for playback? I can answer easily for VSL instruments but not Notion.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am

Using the definition and information about the "concertmaster" provided by wikipedia (see below), it is logical to expect that "Violin (solo)" is the concertmaster or first violin section leader, in which case the NOTION 4 Expansion Sounds "Violin Section for Notion" is necessary to have the complete set of all available techniques and articulations . . .

In an orchestra, the concertmaster is the leader of the first violin section. Any violin solo in an orchestral work is played by the concertmaster (except in the case of a concerto, in which case a guest soloist usually plays).

[SOURCE: Orchestral Concertmaster (wikipedia) ]

Recorded using the London Symphony Orchestra section leaders and players at Abbey Road Studios, London.

Completes the Violin Section for all available techniques and articulations.

For use with Notion version 4 and later.

Techniques include: Sul Ponticello, Sul Ponticello Tremolo, Natural Harmonics, Artificial Harmonics, Col Legno, Bartok Pizzicato, Minor Third Tremolo, Major Third Tremolo, and Perfect Four Tremolo.

[SOURCE: PreSonus Violin Section Techniques ~ Violin Section for NOTION (PreSonus Shop) ]

THOUGHTS

For the standard violin techniques, I think that "Violin (solo)" for NOTION 4 is the correct choice based on the wikipedia definition and information for "concertmaster", where in this context the Expansion Sounds package (see above) completes the set of techniques and playing styles. And since there are both "Violin I Section" and "Violin II Section" in NOTION 4, it is logical to use "Violin I Section", since I think this is the first violin section, hence is the violin section which includes the concertmaster . . .

Depending on the way one reads the description regarding "section leaders", if there is only one "Violin (solo)" after purchasing and installing the "Violin Section for Notion" Expansion Sounds package, then my guess is that "Violin (solo)" will have some techniques and articulations played by the concertmaster and other techniques and articulations played by the second violin section leader, although perhaps not . . .

Nevertheless, I think it is reasonable to presume that "Violin (solo)" is the correct choice for solo violin, hence is the correct choice for the concertmaster role . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby tubatimberinger » Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 am

can't you just do an instrument change and use/assisgn the 'solo violin' (as opposed to violin section; the default) sample that comes with Notion? That's what I do.

-t
tubatimberinger

Return to NOTION