Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Smoothing out Crescendo Decrescendo

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Smoothing out Crescendo Decrescendo

Postby liquidnotion » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Ugh.. ok i know i saw this on a video but i just can't figure out where I saw it. Maybe you most awesome peeps can help.

I have a 4 bar phrase with Viola Cello Bass and I'm trying to get a smooth crescendo from P to FFF. but every measure that plays gets louder incrementally not smoothly. Man I should have book marked that or wrote it down..

I have tried clearing the velocities

and I'm using the Notion sounds, no other library..

thanks

WERD
liquidnotion

Re: Smoothing out Crescendo Decrescendo

Postby thorrild » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:17 am

What does the music look like? Is it one held note or a sequence?
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby liquidnotion » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Just a whole note for 4 bars
liquidnotion

Postby thorrild » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Well I made a little test file, and I am mostly satisfied with how it works.

I didn't know if you were talking about solo samples or sections, and it wasn't totally clear if the whole notes were tied or not, so I covered all the choices. The only thing I find truly harsh is that the solo cello sample has a noticeable, accented noise on long, held notes (presumably the sound of changing bow direction). The solo viola and solo bass don't have that problem.

Also, in the test file, I turned down the p at the beginning (-2) and added a soft start articulation on the tied examples.

Best,
Thorrild
String cresc.notion
(103.4 KiB) Downloaded 353 times

String cresc.wav
(4.35 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby liquidnotion » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Hey thanks for posting that. I had to buy the "Section" samples I didn't have them. My solo instruments were setup just like measure 3 and like you pointed out there is a difference between the section and the solo instruments.

But i remember seeing a video where josh had said if you do this (change a setting somewhere) you get a smoother crescendo.. man i just wish I could find it..
liquidnotion

Postby idiotSavant » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:47 pm

I always have best luck using hairpins rather than the crescendo and decrescendo symbols in my work. Not sure how you're inputting these transitions but you might try that. Also, sometimes I've found that if you have a second voice anywhere on the same staff, you sometimes need to place the hairpins both above and below the staff for the best result. I say sometimes, because I've never been able to figure out what causes the problems with cresc and decresc.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Return to NOTION