Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Miroslav Philharmonik COMBI Experiments

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Miroslav Philharmonik COMBI Experiments

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 pm

I did an experiment in enumerating this morning, and so far it maps to using four VSTi virtual instrument instances of Miroslav Philharmonik (IK Multimedia) in the 32-bit version of NOTION 4, where each Miroslav Philharmonik VSTi instance has a user-defined custom COMBI with 16 parts, which then are assigned to 15 NOTION 4 Basic Staves and the original VSTi instance stave for a total of 16 staves per VSTi instance. Hence, the NOTION 4 score has 64 staves, 4 VSTi virtual instrument staves and 60 NOTION 4 Basic Staves, and it works nicely on the Mac running Mac OS X 10.9.2 (Mavericks) . . .

[NOTE: These two examples do not use the predefined Miroslav Philharmonik templates. Instead, they use simple VSTi instances of Miroslav Philharmonik, each of which is loaded with a custom set of 16 instruments as a "COMBI", and then SHIFT+i is used to assign the respective 16 channels of each VSTi instance to its respective staff and its 15 NOTION 4 Basic Staves. So, in these two examples there are 64 instruments, but only four actual VSTi instances are providing the sampled sounds. I tried it first with the NOTION 4 predefined Miroslav Philharmonik templates, but the maximum was around 50 instruments, which is expected since each one is a separate instance of Miroslav Philharmonik and 50 is near or beyond the upper limit in the 32-bit universe. The drawback is that each instrument is exactly one articulation, but the benefit is that each articulation is recorded with the respective musician playing the articulation, so it is not a computed articulation . . . ]

N4 32 MP 64 Staves ~ YouTube music video

This YouTube music video has the same instruments but all playing something most of the time . . .

N4 32 MP Four VSTi 64 Parts ~ YouTube music video

It takes a few hours to setup a score like this, but you need to do it only one time . . .

The names of the staves can be changed, but I did not change them for the YouTube music videos . . .

The strategy is to work on a NOTION 4 score like this for several days until everything is the way you desire, and then you can use it as a template for new scores via "Save As . . . ", so while it is a lot of work, you only need to do it one time, and then you have a custom orchestra template . . .

The reasons for working several days on configuring the setup for a score like this is that this allows time to experiment with different instruments and articulations, as well as changing the names to match the selected instruments, and so forth, which includes time for testing to set panning locations, volume levels, and other parameters of each part in each of the four Miroslav Philharmonik VSTi instances, which generally look like the following screen capture, which shows the first eight parts or instruments of a COMBI . . .

[NOTE: A "COMBI" in IK Multimedia terminology is the same concept as a "Multi" in Kontakt 5 and MachFive 3 terminology, and the 16 parts can be a set of different instruments and choir voices or they can be different articulations of the same instruments. It is very flexible, and you can tailor a "COMBI" or "Multi" as you desire . . . ]

You can have several of these for different styles and so forth . . .

This is done on the Mac running Mac OS X 10.9.2 (Mavericks) but with NOTION 4 running in 32-bit mode . . .

When SampleTank 3 (IK Multimedia) is released, you can work in 64-bit mode and have a larger and more customized orchestra, since in addition to 2,000 new instruments, all the existing IK Multimedia virtual instrument sampled sound libraries work with SampleTank 3 . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I am curious to discover how many staves are possible based on one VSTi instance of Miroslav Philharmonik providing the parts for 16 NOTION 4 Basic Staves, noting that this is done with NOTION 4 running in 32-bit mode . . .

64 instruments is no problem done this way, so I am planning to do more experiments, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik COMBI Experiments

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:06 am

I added a fifth VSTi instance of Miroslav Philharmonik and another 15 NOTION 4 Basic Staves, so now there are 80 staves in the 32-bit NOTION 4 score, and the instruments are provided by the five VSTi instances of Miroslav Philharmonik, where for reference in total there are five VSTi staves and 75 NOTION 4 Basic Staves, which is fabulous . . .

N4 32 MP 5 VSTi 80 Parts ~ YouTube music video

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION