Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

MusicXML import inquiry/problem

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

MusicXML import inquiry/problem

Postby Chip » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:24 pm

I am working with a score that includes transposed instruments. Flutes are in A (3 sharps). Bb clarinets are in B (5 sharps). I do a MusicXML import and assign "Flute" to the top line and "Clarinet in Bb" to the second line. If I view the score in "Transposed" mode, Notion transposes everything AN ADDITIONAL step upward and my clarinet line is written with 7 sharps.

Am I overlooking a way to tell Notion that I want to assign a clarinet voice to a line, but because I've already transposed it, Notion doesn't have to?

CHIP

(Edited to show that I know that "3 sharps" is "A", rather than "G".)
Last edited by Chip on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip

Re: MusicXML import inquiry/problem

Postby fabiolcati » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:37 am

Hi Chip.

Looks like a case of "transposing it twice".

Maybe this can help you:

http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=424&hilit=transposition

Regards
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Chip » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks, Fabio. I had looked to see if someone else had had a similar problem and had already run across the thread you suggested. (And I particularly enjoyed your final comment.)

I agree that the problem looks (or sounds) as though it is a double transposition. If I were entering notes by hand, I could--as you suggest--start in the "transposed" view. Because I am doing a MusicXML import, I cannot see that that is an option. I can fix the sound by selecting the clarinet line and--by way of Tools-Transpose--moving it down a major second. But then the score is all wrong ... which is an odd feature of a music notation program.

CHIP
Last edited by Chip on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip

Postby fabiolcati » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:24 am

Sorry, the only thing XML means to me is choosing the right size when buying wear. :D

Hope you could find more help.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Return to NOTION