Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Key Signature question

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Key Signature question

Postby msplaya10 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Alright so let's just say I have a chord of D natural, A, and D flat. The key signature has C# in it, so basically i'm defying the key signature (i don't want to use a C#, i want to use Db). has anyone seen this before? sorry if i'm not clear enough.
msplaya10

Re: Key Signature question

Postby thorrild » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:13 am

Msplaya10,

It depends on the style of music.

But in musical styles where this question arises, it tends to depend not only on key signature and what comes before the Db/C# chord, but also on what comes after it, and on its rhythic importance. If the music is geared toward children or amateurs, it is often a good idea to stay away from chords with double-sharps and -flats.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Re: Key Signature question

Postby tubatimberinger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:51 am

This is common when writing with 'pitches' as opposed to common practice harmony. As Thorrild said, avoid double sharps/flats in chords. Also, in melodic figures, augmented and diminished intervals are also best avoided; especially from the standpoint of readability. A rule of thumb I use also, when no key signature is present, is flats for descending figures and sharps for ascending figures. Again, this is just easier for players to play when they don't have the reference of a key sig.

-t
tubatimberinger

Return to NOTION