Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

rewire.dll was not found?!

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

rewire.dll was not found?!

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 pm

hey guys, i did rewire in like one or two months ago
now i want rewire again
but it says: the system rewire dll was not found
how to fix it :?
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Re: rewire.dll was not found?!

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm

1. Go to: Notion>Preferences>Audio
2. If Rewire is Enabled, disable it and re-enable it.
3. Type your administrator password

TIP: Make sure that you are using the same bit mode (32bit or 64bit) between the two programs that you are rewiring before doing the above steps.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:18 am

Admin wrote:1. Go to: Notion>Preferences>Audio

TIP: Make sure that you are using the same bit mode (32bit or 64bit) between the two programs that you are rewiring before doing the above steps.

-Admin

im using 32bit, so bit mode is not the reason
heres the screenshot to show what happens when i try to enable rewire
REWIRE.JPG
REWIRE.JPG (10.3 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:57 am

bump!
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:46 pm

Admin wrote:1. Go to: Notion>Preferences>Audio

-Admin

SouLcRusaDer_kA wrote:im using 32bit, so bit mode is not the reason
heres the screenshot to show what happens when i try to enable rewire

Based on the text for the button in the error message you posted, I am guessing that you are using a Japanese or Chinese version of Windows, which might make a difference. Providing a bit more information about the version of Windows you are running will be helpful (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8) . . .

Since you are doing this on a Windows computer and are running NOTION 4 in 32-bit mode, it is very likely that the 32-bit ReWire 2 infrastructure is not installed correctly . . .

[NOTE: I am presuming that you are running NOTION 4 in 32-bit mode, but if you are running NOTION 3, which is 32-bit only, let me know . . . ]

If you are running the Japanese version of Windows, then it is useful to know that Reason 7 (Propellerhead Software) is available in a Japanese version but only for Windows 7 or higher, as is the case for all the Reason 7 language versions . . .

With the caveat that I do everything on the Mac, the fact of the matter is that ReWire is very sensitive to the way its infrastructure is installed, and one way to ensure that you have the correct ReWire infrastructure is to download the trial version of Reason 7 (Propellerhead Software) and then to install it . . .

[NOTE: For reference, the technology is called "ReWire", but to be precise there is ReWire 1.7 which is 32-bit only and is the older version of ReWire, while ReWire 2 is the newer version; and ReWire 2 supports both 32-bit and 64-bit, but not at the same time, of course . . . ]

This installs Reason 7 and the current ReWire 2 infrastructure, which will be correct for use with NOTION 4 . . .

The trial version of Reason 7 for Windows is approximately 3.8 GB, and you can download it at this link to the Propellerhead Software website:

[NOTE: The installation manual is found at this link in PDF format, which you can download; and it has specific instructions for installing to Windows computers, which includes the requirement that you have an ASIO driver and appropriate audio hardware. There are specific instructions for installing Reason 7 to a Windows computer, and the version that is installed depends on the specific bit mode of the operating system, as explained in the Reason 7 Installation Guide. Observe that Reason 7 requires Windows 7 or higher. On the Mac, you just install it and it works . . . ]

Reason 7 Downloads (Propellerhead Software)

The reason I suggest this is that it is one of the common troubleshooting strategies when folks are having difficulties getting ReWire to work, and the logic is that since ReWire is a Propellerhead Software technology, (a) it obviously works correctly with Reason 7 and (b) installing the Reason 7 trial version ensures that you have the ReWire 2 infrastructure correctly installed . . .

Reason 7 only works as a ReWire 2 slave, where ReWire 2 is the current version of ReWire which moves ReWire 1.7 (32-bit only) to 64-bit support; but it also works in 32-bit mode . . .

NOTION 4 acts as both a ReWire 2 host controller and a ReWire 2 slave, depending on when it is started in the sequence of a ReWire 2 session; so after installing the Reason 7 trial version, which actually is the full version but with a 30-day trial limitation (running in "Demo mode"), you should be able first to start NOTION 4 and then secondly to start Reason 7 with the result that NOTION 4 will be the ReWire 2 host controller and Reason 7 will be the ReWire 2 slave . . .

If this does not work, then there should be more clues to help determine the exact problem . . .

On the Mac, there is one application for Reason 7 and you can toggle it between 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode, but for Windows there are two versions, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit, which makes the installation a bit different; and there are different requirements for account privileges and so forth when you are running Windows . . .

Yet another common troubleshooting strategy is to download and to install the trial version of Ableton Live 9, since it works correctly with Reason 7 for doing ReWire 2 . . .

[NOTE: There are separate 32-bit and 64-bit version of the trial version of Ableton Live 9, so if your goal is to do everything in 64-bit mode, then download and install the 64-bit version. Click on "Show more download options" to get the link to the 64-bit version for Windows. The 64-bit version of Ableton Live 9 is approximately 700 MB . . . ]

Live 9 Trial Version (Ableton)

THOUGHTS

Observing from your post that you are running NOTION 4 in 32-bit mode, this certainly is a factor, but it also depends on the specific version of Windows and whether the specific version of Windows is running in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode . . .

If you are running a version of Windows prior to Windows 7, then the troubleshooting strategy of downloading and installing the trial version of Reason 7 and Ableton Live 9 will not work, but there is another strategy that might work, which is to download and to install the ReWIre 1.7 infrastructure, but if this is the case, then it probably is best to contact Notion Music Technical Support for more help, unless you enjoy doing experiments . . .

[NOTE: This is link to the ReWire 1.7 infrastructure download, which might be an interesting experiment, but I have no way to determine what might happen, since I do everything on the Mac, hence I am providing the link but with the advice to contact Notion Music Technical Support to get specific help with the problem . . . ]

ReWire 1.7 Infrastructure Download (Propellerhead Software)

Installing the trial version of Reason 7 might solve the problem, but if NOTION 4 will not do ReWire 2 with Reason 7, try downloading and installing the trial version of Ableton Live 9 and then doing ReWire 2 with Ableton Live 9 as the ReWire 2 host controller and Reason 7 as the ReWire 2 slave. If this does not work, then a few more clues should appear, probably in error messages . . .

NOTION 4 does ReWire 2 correctly on the Mac, and to the best of my knowledge NOTION 4 does ReWire 2 correctly with supported versions of Windows, but as noted (see above) Windows has a different way of doing application management and security with respect to account privileges and so forth, as well as handling 32-bit and 64-bit modes differently from the way it is handled on the Mac, all of which can make getting ReWire 2 correctly configured a bit more difficult, depending on how proficient one happens to be in all the Windows application management and security aspects . . .

If you are running a foreign language version of Windows, then another possibility is that the path names contain characters that cause problems when the ReWire infrastructure or something else is attempting to find the "Rewire.DLL" dynamic link library (DLL) . . .

And it is useful to understand that all it takes is one parameter or whatever to be incorrect and then ReWire 2 will not work, which can be annoying, but when everything is configured correctly ReWire 2 works very nicely . . .

Doing ReWire 2 involves at least two applications (host controller and one slave), but it also involves the operating system; and everything needs to be configured correctly . . .

[NOTE: Technically, a single application can do ReWire 2 with itself, but this is not the usual way it is done, and I think this is mostly provided to help developers understand the ReWire 2 infrastructure, although the information is available to the public, which is the reason I can post links to the diagrams . . . ]

[NOTE: To see the following full diagram, right-click on the image and select "View Image" (Firefox) or whatever your web browser provides as an option . . . ]

[SOURCE: ReWire - Technical information (Propellerhead Software) ]

The work that each application does is determined by the respective application vendors, as is the case with the operating system, although for the operating system Propellerhead Software conforms to the rules dictated by the operating system vendors (Apple and Microsoft). Applications need to conform to the rules provided by both the operating system vendor and for ReWire for the rules provided by Propellerhead Software . . .

Another reason for getting the trial version of Reason 7 is that there is a lot of stuff that one can do with Reason 7, and on the Mac one can have a ReWire 2 session with a DAW application like Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) as the ReWire 2 host controller and both NOTION 4 and Reason 7 as ReWire 2 slaves, which is a bit mind-boggling with respect to possibilities, which can include having the music notation on NOTION 4 External MIDI staves control Reason 7 synthesizers, as demonstrated in the following YouTube video, which is fabulous . . .

DP8 N4 R7 ReWire2 MIDI ~ YouTube video

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION