Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

accel and rit not working constantly

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

accel and rit not working constantly

Postby Frieda » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi,

I have some problems with rit. and accel. Is it necessary to put a metronome mark after a rit. or accel.? Can someone explain to me the procedure. I cannot figure it out in the user guide

Frieda
Frieda

Re: accel and rit not working constantly

Postby comet61 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:57 pm

In the user guide section 11.33 has the rit./accel./metronome part. The only thing...it states: where it says "add a metronome mark" Item 6. it says to either click outside the metronome window or press enter. When I click, I get a fatal error and a bug report window pops up. So hit enter. I always save my work before I fiddle with rit./accel.

I'm not sure, but I believe there is an option to render that invisable. However, I leave mine on the sheet. I use rit. and accel. on my piano compositions...took me awhile to get the hang of it.
comet61

Postby idiotSavant » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Frieda, yes, you need to place a metronome mark at the point where you want Rit or Accel to no longer occur. If you don't then the piece will continue to slow or speed up until the end of the piece.

Also, when you place a rit or accel, you need to enter the tempo that you want it to reach when it hits the next metronome mark. You can adjust it later by double-clicking it and modifying the tempo value.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby comet61 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:34 pm

If you go to section 11.33 of the user guide, there is a paragraph there that will show you how to just use descriptors instead of a metronome mark.
comet61

Postby Frieda » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:49 am

Hi Michael,

Thanks Michael but I have still two questions

1 .Do I have to place a metronome mark even at the end of a piece? It seems as if rit and accel. do not work alone.

2 Can I enter for example rit to q=50 instead of bpm.
When I for example put in a accel. to q=200 it transforms itself in a "rit to 4.48438 bpm" although the beginning of the piece start with a metronome mark of q=80

What am I doing wrong?

Frieda
Frieda

Postby idiotSavant » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:08 pm

In my experience, you do not have to place a metronome mark at the end of the piece.

I've never seen the rit or acccel change from tempo to bpm like that. Not sure what's going on there.

Sorry!
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby Frieda » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi,

It happens when you doubleclivk on fit or accel. Then you see for instance the text "to 85 bpm"

Frieda
Frieda

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:42 am

Frieda,

Can you upload a screen shot of that or a score that displays an example of this happening?

Thanks,

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Frieda » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Admin,

Sorry for the late reply. Her is the screen dump. I thought it was possible to enter a note value q = quarter, e =eight or s= sixteenth. Maybe not possible?

When the tempo is q=90 and I want to put for instance an accelerando of q=200 when I push the <Enter> Key it transform in a Rit. with 4.45508 bpm

Frieda
Attachments
Accel to q=200.png
Accel to q=200
Accel to q=200.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Frieda

Postby thorrild » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Frieda,

Follow the syntax that is given to you when you first double-click on a ritardando or accelerando: It is phrased in bpm (beats per minute), not as a metronome mark. Your example, which starts at quarter=90, should have an accel. mark with the syntax "accel to 200 bpm." If the "beat note" in your score is a half note, or a dotted quarter, then this is is the number that you need to consider when entering a rit. or accel. But leave out the note value letters and equation marks, and everything should work as intended.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Next

Return to NOTION