Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Trial?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion 4 Trial?

Postby metallissimus » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a notation software with good support for my EWQL SO Gold and so far Notion 4 seems to be clearly the best choice. However I'd like to try it out before buying and I just can't find a trial download.
Is there really no possibility to try it out, or am I just unable to find it?
metallissimus

Re: Notion 4 Trial?

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:31 am

theres no official trial
and i do know that trial is essential from any customer's stand
so u may want to visit audioZ

(im a legal notion owner)
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby metallissimus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:46 am

Thank you for the clarification. That's pretty disappointing...
Even if 99€ is quite a bargain compared to the competition, I don't want to spend them without ever having my hands on the product first.
I'm not sure though if I like the audioz idea...
metallissimus

Postby metallissimus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 am

In the abscence of a trial I have now read most of the downloadable Notion 4 Guide and I really liked some of the well thought out features. Some questions remaining:
1. Is it possible to customize keyboard shortcuts?
2. a) Is it possible to highlight a part of a multi-voice-staff and delete (/cut/copy) only one voice?
b) How can I efficiently manage dynamic parts of multi-voice-staffs? E.g. two flutes in one staff, how can I print them seperately?
metallissimus

Postby SouLcRusaDer_kA » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 am

i afraid that 'No' is the answer for your 3 questions
and do check out the sustaining pedal issue, switch channel issue
u probably want to wait for the next update

right now(v. 4.329), other than vst support, i would say Notion's strength are
clear & intuitive interface
better note-insert function than Sebilus, Finale
sequencer overlay
SouLcRusaDer_kA

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:33 am

Dear metallissimus.

1. Currently, it is not possible to customize keyboard shortcuts. It is a feature that is in development.

2. Currently, it is not possible to separate/filter voices. This is also a feature that is in development.

The way to print these Flute voices would be to write them on a separate staff. This can be accomplished in several ways. And, the intuitive writing mechanisms in Notion make it possible to write this quickly. These features are that you are looking for are priorities of ours.

Thank you for your interest.

Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby metallissimus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks SouLcRusaDer_kA and Admin.

The problem is that the music I want to edit is already written with multi-voice staffs and I only have musicxml-files.
I can think of a workaround, but I am not sure if this is possible: When I select a voice in the entry palette and then select the last note of that voice, can I simply delete all the notes one by one by pressing backspace repeatedly (or even better by holding it down)?
Then I could duplicate the original staff two times and delete one voice in each of the duplicates, so I have single-voice staffs for the print out parts that I can simply hide in the print out score.

Admin, if you say the features are currently in development, are these rather something that may be implemented in an upcoming update to Notion 4 or rather something new for Notion 5? Either way, can you say anything about the rough timing - is that something to expect in the next weeks, months or years?
metallissimus

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:46 pm

The relative timing is sooner than later. Maybe months or less.

I think you would be better off using Step-Entry to re-write the parts. Import the multi-voice version and then Step-Time the parts out to new individual staves.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby metallissimus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Admin wrote:I think you would be better off using Step-Entry to re-write the parts.

I take that as a "no" to my first question above? Re-writing the parts is an option I actually don't even want to think about, considering the size of the work I want to import.

I guess I'll just have to wait then to see when "Maybe months or less" will be and hope that it brings a solution for me.
metallissimus

Return to NOTION