Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Digital Performer Rewire Problem

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 Digital Performer Rewire Problem

Postby Johnny » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:The audio generated by NOTION 4 is standard CD quality (44.1-kHz at 16-bits), and this needs to be the audio resolution for the Digital Performer project . . .

[NOTE: If you have the audio resolution for Digital Performer set to a higher value, recording a guitar or vocal with a microphone will work nicely, but you either (a) will not hear any audio from NOTION 4 or (b) the audio from NOTION 4 will be too fast, distorted, or something not good . . .]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW,

The 24-Bit "Depth" audio setting on "Rubens" computer system will not effect the Rewire synchronization with Notion. Bit Depth is a property of dynamics/amplitude/volume. The kilo-hertz "KHz" setting (timing); however, must be the same in the master/slave applications.

, Johnny

:arrow:
Johnny

Re: Notion 4 Digital Performer Rewire Problem

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:The audio generated by NOTION 4 is standard CD quality (44.1-kHz at 16-bits), and this needs to be the audio resolution for the Digital Performer project . . .

[NOTE: If you have the audio resolution for Digital Performer set to a higher value, recording a guitar or vocal with a microphone will work nicely, but you either (a) will not hear any audio from NOTION 4 or (b) the audio from NOTION 4 will be too fast, distorted, or something not good . . .]

The information I provided (see above) is accurate information, and it is relevant to the goal of finding a solution for the problem Rubens is having with not hearing the NOTION 4 audio sent via ReWire 2 to stereo audio tracks in Digital Performer 8 on the Mac when the external digital audio and MIDI interface is a MOTU UltraLite-mk3 . . .

Everything works nicely for me on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, and Rubens is doing this on a Mac with the same software (presuming the MOTU driver has been updated); and there is not so much difference in the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid I use and the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Rubens uses; hence the logic that if Rubens configures everything the same way I have it configured, then this will map to identifying the cause of the problem and fixing it . . .

It takes a while to do this via posts in an online FORUM, and there certainly is a virtual festival of parameters and options, which for reference is the case in the Windows universe, as well, but so what . . .

The operating system (Mac OS X), MOTU UltraLite-mk3, Digital Performer 8, and NOTION 4 have parameters and options that need to be configured correctly, and when this is done everything will work very nicely . . .

Johnny wrote:The 24-Bit "Depth" audio setting on "Rubens" computer system will not effect the Rewire synchronization with Notion. Bit Depth is a property of dynamics/amplitude/volume. The kilo-hertz "KHz" setting (timing); however, must be the same in the master/slave applications.

This is fine with me, although I am not certain how it applies to finding a solution for the problem Rubens is having, which for reference is not a problem involving ReWire synchronization . . .

Bit-depth is interesting, and this is the relevant information for Digital Performer 8:

Digital Performer’s mixing and processing engine employs 32-bit resolution. When 16-bit or 24-bit digital audio first enters Digital Performer, its bit depth (resolution) is raised to 32-bits. From then on, as the audio is mixed and processed, it remains at 32 bits until it leaves Digital Performer.

You might be confused by my use of the term "audio resolution", which is the combination of (a) sample rate and (b) bit depth . . .

It might be a subtle difference ("audio resolution" vs. "resolution"), but when one is troubleshooting ReWire problems, nothing is subtle, because (a) everything matters and (b) all that is required to cause a problem in a ReWire session is one apparently insignificant parameter or option being set incorrectly . . .

This is an excellent explanation of my perspective on bit-depth:

"24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!" (gregorio, Head-Fi) ~ Post #1

Making it all the more nonsensical in a practical way is the fact that nearly nobody these days has a calibrated full-range studio monitor system--which I specifically define as having a frequency range running from 10-Hz to 20,000-Hz with a flat equal loudness curve at 85 dB SPL, since I like to extend the frequency range of "normal" human hearing downward into the subsonic range, because a few modern musical genres include subsonic audio, even though it is tactile rather than auditory--hence even if there were any audible and tactile differences, it is unlikely such folks would be able to hear it or to feel it when the music was played through their studio monitor systems . . .

SUMMARY

ReWire 2 with Digital Performer 8.06, NOTION 4, and Reason 7.1 is working very nicely on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, and my goal at present in this topic is to help Rubens solve what continues to be a puzzling problem, although I think the solution is on the horizon . . .

Something is not set or configured correctly, and since this is being done via posts rather than in-person or via telephone, listing everything appears to be the most logical way to identify the cause of the problem . . .

For reference, I have not listed every possibility, because for example there is a virtual festival of parameters and options for the MOTU UltraLite-mk3, and another possibility involves CueMix FX, if it is being used, where CueMix FX can be used to set various parameters and options for the MOTU UltraLite-mk3, as is the case for the MOTU 828mkII and MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid external digital audio and MIDI interfaces that I use here in the sound isolation studio . . .

Using an example from several years ago, which certainly maps to your correct observation regarding sample rate matching, for a while folks were having difficulties doing ReWire when Reaper was the ReWire 1 host controller and NOTION 3 was the ReWire 1 slave, and this happened in both supported operating systems (Mac and Windows) . . .

At the time, I did a bit of testing on the Mac and encountered some of the same problems, but after examining everything I noticed that the version of Reaper for the Mac defaulted to 48-kHz as the sample rate, so I changed it to 44.1-kHz and (a) the audio started working and (b) I was able to get one channel pair from NOTION 4 working; and while it was cumbersome compared to Digital Performer 6, it worked on the Mac. The Windows folks did not have such good results, though . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Previous

Return to NOTION