Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Digital Performer Rewire Problem

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 Digital Performer Rewire Problem

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Rubens wrote:Did some experiment and the thing is that if I use aux tracks instead of audio tracks everything works perfectly. So... should I stay with the auxs or there is a way to fix it?

Something is different, but it is not so easy to determine what it is . . .

I do not have any auxiliary tracks in my Digital Performer projects . . .

Stereo audio tracks work nicely for ReWire 2 . . .

The problem with using auxiliary tracks is that they do not have Solo, Mute, Input, Record, and other buttons, so you have to route them to an audio track to do anything with them, which is an extra step and doubles the number of tracks in the mixing board. You can hide the auxiliary tracks, which reduces the clutter, but I prefer using audio tracks (monaural and stereo, depending on the instrument and its source) . . .

One possibility is that the Bundles are not correct, although since they are defined automagically as needed, perhaps not . . .

This is how the Bundles for NOTION look in my Digital Performer projects:

[NOTE: If you are using the Firefox web browser, you can right-click on the image and then click on "View Image" to see the full image. There is a similar command for Safari (Open Image in New Tab) . . . ]

This is the way you examine the Bundles from the "Studio" menu for Digital Performer, where you need to click on the "Bundles" menu item:

Two differences in the way you have Digital Performer configured are (a) the OUTPUT and and (b) the audio resolution, as shown in the copy of your screen capture that I edited to add red circles . . .

[NOTE: You are using Mac OS X Core Audio rather than your MOTU UltraLite driver. Using Mac OS X Core Audio is fine, but it is different. The only time I used Mac OS X Core Audio (actually "Built-in Output 1-2" was when I needed to do something with the Melodyne Editor, which at the time only worked with Mac OS X Core Audio, noting that I call it "Mac OS X Core Audio" to distinguish it the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid external digital audio and MIDI interface and its driver. When the MOTU device is handling the audio and MIDI, there is stuff happening with Mac OS X Core Audio, so to some extent Mac OS X Core Audio is present all the time . . . ]

[NOTE: You have the bit-depth specified at "24 Bit Integer", but NOTION 4 generates audio at standard CD quality (44.1-kHz at 16-bits) . . . ]

This is the way I have it configured in Digital Performer:

[NOTE: "Main Out 1-2" is the main stereo output of the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid digital audio and MIDI interface that I use here in the sound isolation studio, but in the NOTION 4 Mixer it maps to the "Ch. 9-10" pair, because the first 8 channels are mapped to Analog channels 1 through 8 . . . ]

[NOTE: I use standard CD audio quality . . .]

Whether these settings make any difference is another matter, and since you hear audio when you use an auxiliary track, it might not make any difference, but these are differences in the way we have Digital Performer configured on the Mac . . .

THOUGHTS

If you have been experimenting with this for a while, it is good to save and exit all the application, after which you can restart them in a new ReWire 2 session. This clears all the buffers and so forth; and some parameters only take effect when you exit and then start a new ReWire 2 session . . .

I should be able to create a simple Digital Performer 8 project that uses Mac OS X Core Audio for OUTPUT and does ReWire 2 with a simple NOTION 4 score using a few native NOTION 4 virtual instruments, which I can post so that you can see how it works . . .

It will require turning-OFF the MOTU UltraLite and using headphones connected to your Mac, but this is not difficult to do . . .

Something is different, and it is just a matter of determining what it is . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Rubens » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:49 pm

ok... some part of the mystery is solved... I turned ultralite off and used ONE Apogee instead... then everything worked fine... any ideas?
Rubens

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Rubens wrote:Did some experiment and the thing is that if I use aux tracks instead of audio tracks everything works perfectly. So... should I stay with the auxs or there is a way to fix the audio tracks?

Try this Digital Performer 8.06 project and the associated NOTION 4.0.329 score. It is a simple Digital Performer project and NOTION 4 score, preconfigured for ReWire 2. The NOTION 4 score has three instruments (Drumset, Piano, and Electric Bass), but the Electric Bass is on a treble staff, since I prefer to do everything on soprano treble clef with the actual octave of the note transposed upward or downward by 1 or 2 octaves, depending on the instrument, so the Electric Bass notes are played 2 octaves lower than notated, which works nicely. This avoids needing to remember that "C" on a bass staff is "A" and then for other notes working through the annoying algorithm, "If 'C' is 'A', then 'G#'' is ____?", which is even more confusing when I cannot remember if it is two steps downward or upward and start thinking that "C" is "E". The system I use requires me to remember only (a) that there are 12 notes; (b) that there are 8 or so octaves; (c) that some instruments as low, some are in the middle, and some squeak a lot; and (d) that horn players are a rowdy bunch of anarchists but they are easily controlled when you know Barre chords . . . :P

DP8-N4-ReWire2-Surfwhammy.zip (approximately 43KB)

(1) This is configured to use Mac OS X "Built-in Output", so turn-OFF the power to your MOTU UltraLite and use headphones connected to your Mac before running the Digital Performer project, which you need to start first, of course. Then open the NOTION 4 score . . .

(2) It is best to use the Digital Performer "Start (ReWire 2)" marker to position the transport. The NOTION 4 score starts at the 1st beat of the 5th measure. If I rewind the Digital Performer transport to the 1st beat of the 1st measure, Digital Performer crashes; but after doing some experiments I discovered that if I start a few measures later, then everything works nicely, hence I use a Digital Performer marker and insert a few empty measures at the start of the NOTION 4 score. This is another part of the "procedure", and the key to doing ReWire is to have a "procedure" which you follow very carefully . . .

THOUGHTS

You might need to repeat the "Enable ReWire" step for NOTION 4 separately after you switch the output to "Built-in Output 1-2", where you want to exit both Digital Performer and NOTION 4 after toggling the NOTION 4 "Enable ReWire" option (uncheck it, then check it). Once you do this, you can start Digital Performer and then start NOTION 4, opening the respective project and score . . .

When I initially created the Digital Performer project and the NOTION 4 score and switched to using Mac OS X Core Audio rather than the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid external digital audio and MIDI interface I did not hear any audio, and there was no audio being sent from NOTION 4 to Digital Performer, so I followed the procedure I use when ReWire 2 appears to be a bit confused, which begins by toggling the "Enable ReWire" option in NOTION 4 . . .

Another thing I do is to exit all applications, which clears the various buffers; and if none of that stuff works, I reboot the Mac and MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid digital audio and MIDI interface, if I am using it . . .

ReWire 2 is an amazing interapplication communication technology, but it does a lot of complex work in the background, as do the applications participating in the ReWire 2 session. If something is changed or incorrectly configured, then this usually causes a bit of confusion that only can be resolved by ending the current ReWire 2 session and starting a new ReWire 2 session . . .

Everything needs to be configured correctly, and it only takes an apparently tiny mistake to cause nothing to work . . .

Also note, the the "input" button for a ReWire 2 sourced track in Digital Performer determines whether (a) you hear the incoming NOTION 4 generated audio (in which case you set the "input" button and it turns light blue) or (b) you hear the already recorded soundbite (in which case you clear the "input" button and it turns gray) . . .

Let me know what happens . . .

P. S. Another thing I do is to have pre-configured Digital Performer projects and NOTION 4 scores, which I use as custom user-defined templates. The ReWire 2 channels already are assigned to stereo audio tracks in Digital Performer and different sets of VSTi virtual instruments are assigned and configured in the NOTION 4 scores. This saves time when doing the initial setup for a new song; and it ensures that everything is working correctly, because the custom user-defined "templates" have been tested and verified . . .

I call them "templates", but they are just files in a folder; and the example I provided (see above) is a simple "template" where the Digital Performer project is configured for ReWire 2, as is the NOTION 4 score . . .

The "procedure" is to open a custom user-defined template and then immediately to do a "Save As . . . " to create the project or score for the new song. Then I close the template(s) and open the newly saved project and score, which just takes a few minutes, as contrasted to perhaps 30 minutes if I start with an empty project and an empty score . . .
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Rubens wrote:ok... some part of the mystery is solved... I turned ultralite off and used ONE Apogee instead... then everything worked fine... any ideas?

The MOTU UltraLite probably uses the same or similar audio driver as the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid digital audio and MIDI interface when it is connected, and this maps to some of the audio processing being done by the MOTU UltraLite, which in turn lowers the amount of computing the Mac needs to do; so this is an important difference, since when it is all done internally via the Mac hardware and Mac OS X Core Audio, it is different from the way the audio processing is done when a MOTU UltraLite or MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid is connected . . .

I am not familiar with the Apogee device, but its functionality and driver probably are different with respect to the way they operate and so forth . . .

[NOTE: Correctly configuring a computer and its digital music production applications for ReWire 2 is all about details, where the primary rule is that everything matters . . . ]

In the screen captures you posted earlier, you had the OUTPUT of Digital Performer going to "Built-in Output 1-2", which is the Mac OS X default output for the Mac, so if you were using the MOTU UltraLite, it would not be getting any output signals . . .

Another thing that happens due to the way NOTION 4 defines the "main output" is that for the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid digital audio and MIDI interface I need to set the NOTION 4 Master output to the "Ch. 9-10" pair, since this is what maps to "Main Out 1-2" for the MOTU device . . .

However, Digital Performer sees the MOTU device, so it is fine . . .

Try the sample Digital Performer and NOTION 4 test project I just posted, and if you are using "Built-in Output" in some variation, it will work nicely when (a) you listen with headphones using the Mac headphone port and (b) there are no other external audio interfaces or devices connected to your Mac . . .

[NOTE: This is the most basic configuration and it is useful for troubleshooting ReWire 2 problems, because there are fewer variables, since it is just your Mac; a pair of headphones, and the digital music production applications. If you have a MacBook or iMac and it has built-in stereo speakers, then you can use them, but for a Mac Pro if you want to hear stereo, then you need to use headphones in this basic configuration. When it works in this configuration, this provides the clue that not working in a more complex configuration probably is a matter of the more complex stuff not being setup correctly or having out of date drivers, which you know, because you did the experiment where you disconnected the MOTU UltraLite, so this is mostly for folks who might not know about the strategy of getting it to work in a minimal scenario and then moving to a more complex scenario as a troubleshooting technique . . . :idea: ]

To determine how the Apogee device factors in the equation, I need to know how you are connecting the various devices . . .

It sounds like you have one or more Apogee devices connected to your Mac and then have the MOTU UltraLite chained to one of them?

THOUGHTS

The default Mac OS X Core Audio output for the Mac is called "Built-in Output", so the additional stuff is added by Digital Performer. NOTION 4 just calls it "Output", but in this instance "Output" is the same as the Ch. 1-2 pair, which in turn maps to "Built-in Output" . . .

This is how it looks in "Audio MIDI Setup" when headphones are connected to the headphone port of the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio:

[NOTE: Depending on the output device, real instrument audio resolution, and sampled sound virtual instrument audio resolution, you might need to leave the ONE Apogee and Digital Performer audio resolution set to 24 Bit Integer, but remember that standard CD quality is 44.1-kHZ at 16-bits, and upscaling it arbitrarily to 24-bits just adds noise, because it requires padding the actual 16-bits of audio audio with 8 additional bits to get it to 24-bits. Some folks will suggest that they can hear the difference in 16-bit depth and 24-bit depth, but my perspective is that I walk on water every time I go to an ice skating rink but this does not imply that I can walk across the Gulf of Mexico to Cancun during hurricane season. Unless one has a calibrated full-range studio monitor system, expecting to be able to hear anything accurately is a grand delusion . . . ]

I think you have identified the problem, so it just a matter of discovering the rules for specifying the Master stereo output correctly for the devices you are using at the time you do the ReWire 2 session with Digital Performer and NOTION 4, but this also can affect NOTION 4 when it is running by itself (not in a ReWire 2 session) . . .

The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Rubens » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:42 pm

well, tried again with ultralite using the Ch 9-10 in Notion 4 but... no sound. Thank you anyway Surwammy!
Rubens

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 am

Rubens wrote:well, tried again with ultralite using the Ch 9-10 in Notion 4 but... no sound. Thank you anyway Surwammy!

We are almost there, and victory is on the horizon! :D

You are not hearing any sound because the audio output is not being sent to the MOTU UltraLite . . .

Instead the audio output is being sent somewhere else, so the solution is to discover how to send the audio output to the MOTU UltraLite; and this is not a difficult problem to solve, although it takes a while to explain . . .

When I want the audio output to go to the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid external audio and MIDI interface, I do this by telling the operating system which output device I want to use, which begins by selecting the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid as the output device for "Sound" in Mac OS X "System Preferences", but there is more to configuring it correctly, since I also need to specify the correct channels for the Main 1-2 stereo output, and there are other parameters which are set in Digital Performer and the MOTU Audio Setup application, such as audio resolution (sample rate and bit depth) . . .

[NOTE: You will do this, but instead of selecting "MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid", you will select "MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid" . . . ]

[IMPORTANT: The "Default Stereo Output" initially is set to "Analog 1 - 2", so you will need to change it to "Main Out 1 - 2". When you install the MOTU driver update, the "Default Stereo Output" will revert to "Analog 1 - 2", so you will need to change it again . . . ]

Image Image

I think you misunderstood what I was explaining about NOTION 4 and the Ch. 9-10 pair. If you did this in a ReWire 2 session where Digital Performer is the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 is the ReWire 2 slave, then all it did was send the audio for the selected NOTION 4 stereo track via the Ch. 9-10 ReWire 2 channel pair to Digital Performer. This has nothing to do with configuring the Mac to output audio from Digital Performer to the MOTU UltraLite and its connected studio monitors or headphones . . .

[NOTE: I fully understand that this is a bit confusing, but there is so much information that the only practical way to determine the solution for problems is to examine everything, and the way some MOTU devices are mapped with respect to MOTU drivers and channels is an important aspect of the solution. This also is the reason that there is no detailed documentation for any of this stuff, because when you provide all the information it becomes a book and in some respects can be perceived as being too much information, but so what. The facts are (a) that you can do ReWire 2 on the Mac with Digital Performer and NOTION 4 and (b) that you can use the MOTU UltraLite as your external digital audio and MIDI interface on the Mac. Doing this requires everything to be configured correctly. It works, and it is just a matter of getting everything configured correctly . . . ]

NOTION 4 AND MOTU 828MK3 HYBRID

Specifically, if you are running NOTION 4 by itself--not in a ReWire 2 session--with a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid external audio and MIDI interface handling the audio, then you will need to set the output of the Master stereo output track in the NOTION 4 Mixer to the Ch. 9-10 pair, because these are the channels that map to Main 1-2 for the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, which is the case because the MOTU driver maps the first eight (8) channels to Analog-1 through Analog-8, respectively, and channels 9 and 10 to Main 1-2 . . .

[NOTE: This also applies to NOTION 4 if it is the ReWire 2 host controller, which is possible, since NOTION 4 can be a ReWire 2 host controller or a ReWire 2 slave, depending on whether it is started first. Also note that these are channels, but the usage is different when it is ReWire . . . ]

This has nothing to do with ReWire 2, unless your DAW application by default maps its master stereo output to channels 1-2 and you are using a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, in which case you will need to change it to output to channels 9-10 . . .

With Digital Performer (MOTU), you do not need to do this, but you will need to do it with Studio One 2.6+, Logic Pro 9/X, Ableton Live 9, and so forth . . .

This might be the case with the MOTU driver for the MOTU UltraLite, but since I do not have a MOTU UltraLite I have no easy way to determine whether this rule applies, and for reference this was not the case with the MOTU 828mkII, which has its first two channels (1-2) mapped to Main 1-2 . . .

THOUGHTS

If you are not getting sounds when the MOTU UltraLite is used, then I need more information to make suggestions, specifically a diagram or explanation in words of the way you have everything connected to your computer . . .

You mentioned an Apogee ONE device, and if you have it connected to your Mac along with the MOTU UltraLite and other devices, then this is too much for me to troubleshoot without an accurate system diagram . . .

My suggestion is to use the test files from my earlier post. It is a simple Digital Performer project and a simple NOTION 4 score . . .

[NOTE: When the first test scenario is working nicely, this verifies that everything is configured correctly for ReWire 2. The second test, then focuses on discovering how to get the system configured correctly to use the MOTU UltraLite as the primary external audio and MIDI interface. Doing it this way keeps the focus on solving problems in steps in a logical and simple way . . . ]

(1) Do the test with nothing connected to your Mac other than headphones, keyboard, and mouse, in which case you will be using the factory sound hardware and Mac OS X Core Audio . . .

(2) Then as a second test, attach the MOTU UltraLite to the Mac. If you are using an external keyboard and mouse, then attach them, of course. The headphones will need to be connected to the MOTU UltraLite rather than to the Mac headphone port, since audio output will come from the MOTU UltraLite rather than from the Mac ports. Let me know what happens . . .

[NOTE: In this second test, the MOTU UltraLite is attached to your Mac, and a pair of headphones are connected to the "Phones" port in the front of the MOTU UltraLite. If you are using an external keyboard and mouse, then attach them to your Mac, of course. This is all that is attached to your Mac, and this makes it easier to discover how to configure your Mac correctly for using the MOTU UltraLite . . . ]

The MOTU UltraLite will have a driver, and it needs to be current for your Mac, and based on the advice I got from MOTU technical support when I was not hearing sounds after replacing my MOTU 828mkII with a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, it is possible that the MOTU UltraLite uses a different channel pair for "Main 1-2" . . .

Specifically, the MOTU technical support specialist told me that the easiest way to determine which pair works is to start with the 1-2 pair and then increase the numbers until you hear sound, which is what we did, and when it got to 9-10 I heard sound . . .

You can select the output, and if you have several possible output devices connected to your Mac, then there will be several choices, as you can see in the "Audio MIDI Setup" screen I posted in my previous post, where there are three output choices (Built-in Output, Built-in Line Output, Built-in Digital Output) and two Soundflower choices . . .

The MOTU UltraLite will have a specific output, and it is the one that needs to be selected if you expect to hear audio through the MOTU UltraLite . . .

SUMMARY

You need to determine how to specify that the MOTU UltraLite is the output device you want to use. Once you set the MOTU UltraLite as the output device, you will hear the sounds . . .

I can help, but I need more information, including some idea of what you have connected to your Mac . . .

Consider the following diagram of the complete system I use here in the sound isolation studio, where you will observe that there is one external digital audio and MIDI interface . . .

When you have the MOTU UltraLite connected to your Mac, you do not need the Apogee device(s) . . .

There is a scenario in which one can need to extend the functionality of the primary external digital audio and MIDI interface, and in the MOTU universe this usually is done by adding MOTU 8pre devices chained to a MOTU 828x or similar primary external digital audio and MIDI interface. There probably are other ways to connect more stuff to a Mac, but this affects the way various software needs to be configured so that applications know where to send their respective outputs and so forth. And for reference, the MOTU 8pre can be the primary device, as well, but it usually is used to add more XLR-style microphone inputs to a MOTU 828x, MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, and so forth . . .

This is the link to the Downloads page at the MOTU website, where you can download the latest drivers and other updates to MOTU hardware and software . . .

[NOTE: The current update has enhancements for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), so if you are running Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), then download and install the current drivers. The current version of Mavericks is Mac OS X 10.9.3 . . . ]

Downloads (MOTU Support)

Lots of FUN! :D
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Rubens » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:31 pm

I am using Notion since it came out, with the same ultralite. It works fine. I am only having a problem with the channels in DP that are coming by rewire with Notion, but if I will record a guitar for exemplo the audio works normally. Anyway I just realize that I don't have the last driver so I will update it and give another try. I don't use ONE and Ultralite combined, it's one or another.
About choosing the channels 9-10 in the master fader in Notion, I never needed...
Rubens

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:01 am

QUESTION: Did you download and try the simple Digital Performer 8 and NOTION 4 ReWire 2 test project?

DP8-N4-ReWire2-Surfwhammy.zip (approximately 43KB)

Rubens wrote:I am using Notion since it came out, with the same ultralite. It works fine.

Good!

Rubens wrote:About choosing the channels 9-10 in the master fader in Notion, I never needed...

Good! This did not happen with the MOTU 828mkII either, but it happens with the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid . . .

Rubens wrote:I don't use ONE and Ultralite combined, it's one or another.

Good!

Rubens wrote:Anyway I just realize that I don't have the last driver so I will update it and give another try.

Having the correct driver is important. It might not solve the problem, but it helps . . .

Remember that installing the driver update probably will reset the MOTU Audio Setup application to output the Default Stereo Output to "Analog 1 - 2", so you need to set it to "Main Out 1 - 2" . . .

Rubens wrote: I am only having a problem with the channels in DP that are coming by rewire with Notion, but if I will record a guitar for exemplo the audio works normally.

The audio generated by NOTION 4 is standard CD quality (44.1-kHz at 16-bits), and this needs to be the audio resolution for the Digital Performer project . . .

[NOTE: If you have the audio resolution for Digital Performer set to a higher value, recording a guitar or vocal with a microphone will work nicely, but you either (a) will not hear any audio from NOTION 4 or (b) the audio from NOTION 4 will be too fast, distorted, or something not good . . .]

QUESTION #1: Do you have the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 set as the output for your Mac?

[NOTE: This is important, because "Built-in ______" sends the audio somewhere else . . . ]

QUESTION #2: Which version of Mac OS X are you running?

QUESTION #3: What type of Mac are you using?

(1) Toggle the "Enable ReWire" option in NOTION 4: Close all the applications; open NOTION 4 and go to the Audio tab of NOTION 4 Preferences, and toggle the "Enable ReWire" option by unchecking it and then checking it. This will reset ReWire 2. Then quit NOTION 4; start Digital Performer, followed by starting NOTION 4; and see if this resolves the problem . . .

(2) Insert four empty measures at the start of the NOTION 4 score, and begin the song at the 1st beat of the 5th measure. Never rewind the Digital Performer transport to the 1st beat of the 1st measure . . .

On the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, rewinding Digital Performer to the 1st beat of the 1st measure in a ReWire session (ReWire 1 or ReWire 2) causes Digital Performer to crash, so I start songs a few measures later . . .

THOUGHTS

It works, so it is just a matter of determining which parameter or option is not set correctly and then setting it to the correct value . . .

Something similar happened here in the sound isolation studio once, and it took me a while to discover the problem, which was that I had a set of NOTION 3 ReWire 1 channels and a different set of NOTION 4 ReWire 2 channels . . .

I had selected a NOTION 3 ReWire 1 channel pair, but I was running NOTION 4 . . .

The problem was that there were two sets of ReWire channels for NOTION, but one was for NOTION 3 and the other was for NOTION 4, so this might be happening, which you can check by examining the Digital Performer Bundles, as explained in one of my earlier posts (see above). I solved that problem by selecting the correct NOTION 4 ReWire 2 channels . . .

EXPERIMENT

If you do not have Reason 7.1.1 (Propellerhead Software), you can download it and run it for 30 days for free. It is full featured and does everything . . .

The download file is large (approximately 3.9GB), but so what . . .

Reason 7.1.1 Download (Propellerhead Software)

This is an important experiment when troubleshooting ReWire, because (a) ReWire is a Propellerhead Software technology and everything is tested with Reason and (b) installing Reason 7.1.1 will install the current ReWire 2 infrastructure . . .

[NOTE: Reason follows the ReWire rules precisely, so if you are a ReWire developer and want to ensure that your application does ReWire correctly, then you test it with Reason, but you also test it with other applications, because Reason only runs as a ReWire slave, not as a ReWire host controller. This makes testing with Reason one of the standard tests, and if a ReWire host controller cannot talk to Reason, then something is wrong with the application and the way it implements ReWire. If Digital Performer does ReWire 2 smoothly with Reason 7.1.1 when the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 is the audio output device, then this provides verification that Digital Performer is working correctly for Rewire 2; that the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 is working correctly; and that the problem is not caused by Digital Performer, MOTU UltraLite-mk3, Reason 7.1.1, or Mac OS X, which then shifts the focus to the way NOTION 4 is configured and the way the stereo audio track used to do ReWire 2 with NOTION 4 is configured . . . ]

Once you do this, ensure that the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 is the selected output device; start Digital Performer and then start Reason 7.1.1 and do something with ReWire, for example creating a stereo audio track in Digital Performer and setting its input to the Reason 7.1.1 master stereo channel pair, which will be "Reason: Mix L 1-Mix R 2 (Stereo) . . .

[NOTE: You can use one of the demo songs that comes with Reason 7.1.1 for testing, since there will be ReWire 2 output to the stereo master output pair . . . ]

These are related screens that show the various Digital Performer 8.06 "Setup" screens . . .

You also need to have the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 selected as the Mac OS X output device, which I explained in a previous post, including screen captures . . .

P. S. Another possible cause is having an instrument soloed in the NOTION 4 Mixer when that instrument is not set to send anything on a ReWire 2 channel pair. What happens is that this sets all the other instruments to mute, so you do not hear anything. Hence, another item in the 'ReWire Procedure Checklist" is to verify that the ReWire channels are not muted. I have done this a few times, and it is annoying, but since it is in the checklist, I find it after a while and then everything is good! :o
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Johnny » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:20 am

Surfwhammy wrote:On the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, rewinding Digital Performer to the 1st beat of the 1st measure in a ReWire session (ReWire 1 or ReWire 2) causes Digital Performer to crash, so I start songs a few measures later . . .

Surf, you've mentioned this issue and workaround in the Notion Forum for some time now. Have you tried to set the "Offset" in Digital Performer. This is generally used for SMTPE time-code; however, I believe it effects the timeline in all references to playback. I'm assuming you have DP-8. This feature is addressed in the manual on pages 179-180 I believe.
If your playback is not synchronized from the start of the timeline it must be quite awkward to use the playback controls and have a stable application that is synchronized with a "slave or host" application's timeline.
If the offset is correct the application won't crash when you rewind it to zero on the timeline.

,Johnny

P.s. I use Studio-One Pro, Sonar X2 and other software with "Rewire" utilizing multi-track audio and playback synchronization with none of the issues or complications you have mentioned.

:arrow:
Johnny

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 am

Johnny wrote:
Surfwhammy wrote:On the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, rewinding Digital Performer to the 1st beat of the 1st measure in a ReWire session (ReWire 1 or ReWire 2) causes Digital Performer to crash, so I start songs a few measures later . . .

Surf, you've mentioned this issue and workaround in the Notion Forum for some time now. Have you tried to set the "Offset" in Digital Performer. This is generally used for SMTPE time-code; however, I believe it effects the timeline in all references to playback. I'm assuming you have DP-8. This feature is addressed in the manual on pages 179-180 I believe.
If your playback is not synchronized from the start of the timeline it must be quite awkward to use the playback controls and have a stable application that is synchronized with a "slave or host" application's timeline.
If the offset is correct the application won't crash when you rewind it to zero on the timeline.

,Johnny

P.s. I use Studio-One Pro, Sonar X2 and other software with "Rewire" utilizing multi-track audio and playback synchronization with none of the issues or complications you have mentioned.

:arrow:

Thanks for sharing . . . :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION