Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Dimension Strings Large Ensemble

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Dimension Strings Large Ensemble

Postby idiotSavant » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm diving into building large ensembles with Dimension Strings for use with Notion.

My thought is to try to use the presets that Notion uses for, say, the Orchestral Violins and change out the SE patches in the matrices for the DS patches. Anyone have any experience with this? Is this the best practice?

Anyone have any other suggestions as to how to build ensembles to work with Notion Presets? I'd really rather not learn to write rules from scratch... But if this is the only way...

I'm rather frustrated at the moment.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Re: Dimension Strings Large Ensemble

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am

I use that approach with the VSL Solo Strings, and it works fine.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby idiotSavant » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:03 pm

wcreed51 wrote:I use that approach with the VSL Solo Strings, and it works fine.

Bill, I use it for the solo strings also, but a large ensemble seems to be a horse of another color. I'm trying to figure out the best way to use Notion with the preset ensemble groups in DS.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby idiotSavant » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:02 am

Update: I spent the weekend building large DS ensembles. Based on an approach suggested by Frieda and Bill Reed in earlier posts here, I started with the basic Notion Preset for VIPro Orchestra Strings and replaced each of the patches in the matrices with the appropriate (or at least what I thought were appropriate) Dimension Strings patches. I have 5 Vienna Ensemble instances (one for each section of strings) and there are 8 Violins I, 8 Violins II, 6 Violas, and 6 Cellos (I'm using orchestral basses since there aren't any Dimension Basses out yet). It's a huge amount of samples and takes bloody forever to load, but it seems to be working.

I'll post some samples here soon to let you hear the results.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Return to NOTION