Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Weird issue printing on an HP 3540

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Weird issue printing on an HP 3540

Postby elerouxx » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:22 pm

My 10 year-old Epson printer died and I got a replacement form HP - a deskjet 3540 series, pretty cool printer.

But my happiness didn't last. To my BIG surprise, I couldn't get a score properly printed from Notion! How could this be possible? Is it possible there's something wrong in the Notion side?

The picture below shows a print I did to a PDF file (via Adobe PDF) and then used Adobe to print to the printer.
The score at the right was printed directly from Notion. All bars (repetition, double bars, simple bars) seem scaled up!

print_notion.jpg
print_notion.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

What can I do? I found no settings in the printer software that fixes this. I am using Windows 7 64 bit and Notion 4.0.329 32-bit. The only workaround is to print to PDF instead of printing from Notion.
elerouxx

Re: Weird issue printing on an HP 3540

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:04 pm

What are the Print Settings you are using? That is really strange.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weird issue printing on an HP 3540

Postby elerouxx » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:56 am

Admin wrote:What are the Print Settings you are using? That is really strange.

-Admin

Totally agree on that. Really strange. And after all the carefull research I did before buying this printer, the last thing I expected was this.

I'm trying every setting of the printer driver, and so far nothing I did gave me the expected wysiwyg print (except of course printing to PDF AND then printing to the printer).

I tried:
Borderless printing on or off
Print on both sides automatically on or off
Max DPI on or off
Preserve Layout on or off (used with duplex printing *)
Draft, normal or best quality
HP Real Life Technologies on or off (havent figured out what is this)

The driver hasn't any settings about scaling up or down the printout, except that it allows to print a booklet (say, 2 or 4 document pages per printed sheet) but I also get the big bars when printing this way.

The printer has duplex capabilities and for that matter the upper and lower margins get a little bigger, so sometimes the printer has to scale down the document. Maybe it has something to do with this particular feature (since nobody has reported this before).

I contacted support, he suggested me to contact HP for a PostScript driver. I got no answer so far. From my experience, these deskjet printers don't use PostScript but probably HPGL.

The issue remains a mistery.
elerouxx

Return to NOTION