Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Simulating/How To Sinulate A Guitar Capo

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Simulating/How To Sinulate A Guitar Capo

Postby dleemon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:05 pm

I've read the threads on Notion's egregious lack of a guitar capo simulation. For those who need it, here's the workaround.

Best is to tell Notion you have retuned your guitar BEFORE you start tabbing, by going into Staff Settings or Score Setup, and, where it says "Tablature Setup", and typing in the actual notes that sound when you have the capo on (for example: If you're capoing up two frets, then, where it says "E2", you have to change the "E" to "F#"). NOTE: When you do this, pay attention to the octave numbers after the notes. These change at "C". So, in the capo-up-2-frets example, the "B3" string goes to "C#4". It took me forever to realize I was forgetting to change the octave and I couldn't figure out why things were sounding off.

If you have tabbed out your piece and then wish to capo up (as I did, unfortunately): Repeat the step above -- "retune" the guitar in "Tablature Setup". All the tabs will change -- don't panic. Then "Select All" and use "Transpose" in the "Tools" menu to mirror what the retuning has done (in this example, capoing/retuning up two frets = transpose up a major second) and the tabs will be back as you want them.

Would be a whole lot easier if the Notion folks just added a capo feature!
dleemon

Return to NOTION