Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Change notes duration in one click..!!

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Change notes duration in one click..!!

Postby robe1972 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 am

Hi
I have a problem.
I have a part of Tuba with all quarter notes (1/4) and I want to change them in height notes (1/8) with height rest of course ...!
It is possible to do it with a single command or I must to change the notes one by one... :oops: ?
Thank you
robe1972

Re: Change notes duration in one click..!!

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:38 am

robe1972 wrote:Hi
I have a problem.
I have a part of Tuba with all quarter notes (1/4) and I want to change them in height notes (1/8) with height rest of course ...!
It is possible to do it with a single command or I must to change the notes one by one... :oops: ?
Thank you

You can select the notes that you want to change and then change them as a group to eighth notes (a.k.a., "quavers") . . .

Once the notes are selected, you will press the equal sign key ("=") and the press the "E" key, where the alphabetic key actually is a lowercase "e" . . .

This changes the duration of all the notes to eighths, and it also changes the duration of the rests to eighths, as well . . .

To select the notes and rests as a group, you can "lasso" them with the mouse or you can select the notes and rests individually while holding the SHIFT key or for a more selective grouping either the SHIFT key or the COMMAND key, where these are the keys for the Mac, since I do everything on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio . . .

[NOTE: You can do contiguous group selecting with the SHIFT key, and you also can do selective grouping with the SHIFT key, but it is nice to know that on the Mac the COMMAND key can be used for selective grouping. If you are doing selective grouping, it tends to be a good idea to do this in small groups, because if you click in the wrong place or whatever, all the stuff you selected individually can be come unselected, and then you have to redo the mouse clicks and so forth . . . ]

This is documented on page 10.5 of the NOTION 4 User Guide, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous!
:)

P. S. The NOTION 4 User Guide is a PDF file, and on the Mac there is a menu item for it on the Help menu. Since the Mac includes a handy utility application called Preview, which reads image and PDF files automagically, everything is easy. I am not certain how this works on a Windows machine, which might require a PDF file reader from Adobe or whatever, but the NOTION 4 User Guide is installed with NOTION 4--hence it is on your machine--no matter whether it is a Mac or a Windows machine, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby robe1972 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:35 am

Thank you for your reply but if i select a measure and use =+e don't change the value but make so:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731 ... .22.20.png
There are notes with (..)..!...can you see?
I use the Macbook Pro and the key = is up the number zero...and if i want press = i must press Shift and =.......this is a problem?
When i select a measure the measure color gray and than i press shift = e ..or =e......but change nothing...!!
Why...???
Thank's for your help..!!
robe1972

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 am

robe1972 wrote:Thank you for your reply but if i select a measure and use =+e don't change the value but make so:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731 ... .22.20.png
There are notes with (..)..!...can you see?
I use the Macbook Pro and the key = is up the number zero...and if i want press = i must press Shift and =.......this is a problem?
When i select a measure the measure color gray and than i press shift = e ..or =e......but change nothing...!!
Why...???
Thank's for your help..!!

Based on what you wrote, it appears that your Mac keyboard is not US English, in which case I have no idea what to tell you, other than to see if you can switch it to US English . . .

I recall reading about a problem with the character mapping of German language keyboards, and there was nothing anyone could do . . .

You can try contacting Notion Music Customer Service, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby robe1972 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Ok thank you
robe1972

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 pm

The parentheses that you see after you perform the "= e" command is actually giving you ghost notes. The ghost notes shortcut is supposed to be done by using the "0" key on the English keyboard. I wonder if there is a way to translate the German keyboard to an English keyboard as well.

I am sorry that you are having this issue.

You can perform a search on the Web for Keyboard language support for Windows 7, or go to Language Text settings in System preferences for Mac.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby robe1972 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:42 am

Thanks for your help, but I could change the notes one at a time with the mouse.
I don't understand why on my Macbook Pro this thing does not work, however I am very happy with my purchase. Notion is a really nice software.
robe1972

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

robe1972 wrote:Thanks for your help, but I could change the notes one at a time with the mouse.
I don't understand why on my Macbook Pro this thing does not work, however I am very happy with my purchase. Notion is a really nice software.

This is similar to what Admin suggested, but it uses a utility application for the Mac, since you are doing your digital music production on a MacBook Pro . . .

The reason it does not work on your MacBook Pro is that your MacBook Pro is configured to use a different native language mapping, hence the keys that are defined for US English have different uses in whatever native language your MacBook Pro is mapped. Additionally, as explained below, the SHIFT key has a virtual festival of uses in NOTION 4, and this causes pressing the SHIFT key when running NOTION 4 to direct NOTION 4 to expect something different to happen, which in turn causes the problem with the EQUAL key use in NOTION 4. The practical solution is to create a different two-key combination for use as a surrogate for the EQUAL key . . .

[NOTE: The other solution is for a new version of NOTION to have full international language support for every language used on this planet, but "Best Wishes!" on that happening, because for the most part it is vastly impractical and tends to be little more than an excellent way to waste valuable software engineering resources, especially when one realizes that most foreign language speakers understand, read, and write English better than most folks in the US . . . ]

I did a bit of research and discovered a utility application for the Mac named "KeyRemap4MacBook", and I did a quick test with the result that I think this will provide a solution . . .

[NOTE: There is a specific version for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), which is the one to use if you are running Mavericks. If this solves the problem, then consider making a donation, since this is shareware or whatever, and keeping the developer funded tends to ensure there are updates for new versions of Mac OS X . . . ]

KeyRemap4MacBook (Takayama Fumihiko)

This utility application runs on all Macs, so I downloaded and installed it on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio and then created a new keymap via "private.xml" that maps "COMMAND+2" to "EQUAL", since this is similar to what happens on your Mac . . .

[NOTE: The "private.xml" file initially is empty, but there is a sample version at the product website. This is the version I used, and it is all that is required, other than doing the "Reload XML" step as explained in the documentation. You need a text or XML editor, and TextEdit.app works nicely in plain text mode, but you want the file extension to be ".xml" rather than '.txt" when you save the modified "private.xml" file. When you press the "Reload XML" button in a later step, which is on the "Change Key" tab of KeyRemap4MacBook Preferences, you then can select the newly created keymap by checking its checkbox, and it will activate immediately. When you are finished with your NOTION 4 session, you can exit KeyRemap4MacBook or leave it running. The "<appendix> line is a bit redundant in this instance, but I left it there to show the full pattern, although it is not necessary and can be deleted . . . ]

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
   <item>
    <name>NOTION 4 Change Command+2 to Equal</name>
    <appendix>Change Command+2 to Equal</appendix>
    <identifier>private.app_notion_command2_to_equal</identifier>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_2, VK_COMMAND, KeyCode::EQUAL</autogen>
  </item>
</root>

I tested it by selecting a measure of quarter notes (a.k.a., "crotchets") and pressing the two-key combination "COMMAND+2" followed by pressing the lowercase "e" key, and this changed the quarter notes to eighth notes (a.k.a., "quavers"), hence it works on Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks) with a US English Apple Professional Keyboard . . .

Based on this experiment, I think it works, and this makes it possible to remap a two-key combination to a single key, which should work nicely when you select a two-key combination that does not interfere with any of the predefined NOTION 4 keys . . .

There is a way to limit it to a specific application, but you need to know the name of the application, which might be "NOTION", but I did not experiment with that part. Instead, I decided to select a two-key combination that I never use and that appears to have no predefined mapping in NOTION 4, where "COMMAND+2" meets these criteria . . .

Also, if you do not want KeyRemap4MacBook to be active, then you can exit it via its tiny icon at the top right of the system menu bar, which looks like a tiny square made using LED style bars . . .

Let me know if you need help modifying the "private.xml" file for KeyRemap4MacBook . . .

If you follow the directions at the website, it is not difficult to do . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I think that COMMAND+2 works when SHIFT+0 does not work, because SHIFT has a virtual festival of uses in NOTION 4, while COMMAND does not . . .

Hence, I think it is better to use COMMAND+2 for the EQUAL mapping, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby robe1972 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:09 am

Thanks for your help ...!
robe1972

Return to NOTION