Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Hiding empty staves from score

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Hiding empty staves from score

Postby tonygardner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Hello. I am relatively new to Notion3 and would very much like to use it to make charts for my jazz combo. Our band consists of guitar, bass, vocals, drums and two saxes (alto and tenor). The charts typically include parts for everyone except for the drummer, so it's like a lead sheet, but with a couple more parts added. Recently, I was creating a chart where the saxes don't come in until the end of the tune, so I had several pages where there were only rests for the alto and tenor parts. In the interest of saving a few trees, is it possible to suppress these parts until the end? To illustrate, my desired format would be as follows:
Page 1-3:
Vocals (with guitar chords)
Bass

Page 4:
Vocals (with guitar chords)
Bass
Alto
Tenor
tonygardner

Re: Hiding empty staves from score

Postby astinov » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Tony,

Yes, although it may require you to print pages 1-3 and 4-end separately. Here's how to do this:

1. Open up Score Setup (Ctrl+T)
2. Right next to each instrument you'll se a check mark button. Un-check that and your instrument will be hidden. Do this for all instruments you want to hide.

Now when you exit score setup the staffs will be hidden.

Hope that helps.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby posssu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm

You might also get another problem when you hide few tracks: it might be possible that the tracks on the first three pages now pile up causing more notes to fit to the first three pages. And this means that the page 4 will start from a different bar than in the score with all the tracks or even disappear, since all the notes fit to the first three pages.

If this happens, just see what is the last bar on page 3 and insert a forced page turn - this will force the information on the page 4 to start from the same bar as with the "full version". Heh, I hope my explanation makes sense... and it's possible that you don't even have to do this, but it's a possibility anyway.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby astinov » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Hey guys,

Just want to add - you can force a system or Page break at any measure. Just have that in mind for layout/formatting purposes. You select the measure then right-click and choose Measure - > Force Page Break etc...

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby tonygardner » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
CONGRATULATIONS TO NOTION MUSIC!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Update 278 added this as a new feature!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Tony Gardner
New Creation Music
http://www.newcreationmusic.org