Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Any way to change the time value of many notes

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Any way to change the time value of many notes

Postby posssu » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Let's say I have written few bars for a whole orchestra, all these bars contain just whole notes, but there are many of them. I suddenly decide to change these bars to 3/4.

Is there any way I could select a bunch of notes and change the time value for all of then at once? In Overture you could do this by hitting the number 2 and a dot after it and voila.

I didn't come up with anything else but just selecting a dotted half note to the music cursor and then clicking each of the notes on their corresponding places separately. Is there any faster way?

Also, same question about adding a dot to many notes at once? With staccato this seems to work by hitting 1.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Re: Any way to change the time value of many notes

Postby fabiolcati » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:28 am

+1

"Edit everything selected the way I'm asking for" will be appreciated.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Unfinished » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:02 am

+1
It would also be nice to be able to take an entire section of 4/4 and change it to 2/4. Since Notion lost the ability to place a barline within a bar this takes so much longer to split bars in two and add any necessary ties to suspended notes.
Unfinished

Postby fandango » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:07 am

Select all the notes, press = (equals) and then the note value (i.e, H for Half Note). This will change all the whole notes into half notes.

Alas, you can't then press = (equals) again and press D (to dot them). :cry:

A slight inconsistency here. I quite like the Overture method of the applying the selected value to all selected notes.
fandango

Postby posssu » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 am

fandango wrote:Select all the notes, press = (equals) and then the note value (i.e, H for Half Note). This will change all the whole notes into half notes.

Alas, you can't then press = (equals) again and press D (to dot them). :cry:

A slight inconsistency here. I quite like the Overture method of the applying the selected value to all selected notes.

Ah, thank you! This is precisely what I needed. I didn't remember it exists.

But yes, quite awkward that it doesn't work with dotting.
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby posssu » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:49 pm

I just found out a way to do this! The thing with = is that you have to enter the note value first and then hit d. So even if the notes you want to change are already 1/8-notes, you still have to hit e first and then d. This will produce dotted eighth-notes.

Good news.
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby posssu » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Any way to convert selected notes to corresponding rests? Or at least all to the rests of one kind? Tried = and SHIFT+note value - doesn't work. Any other ideas?
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Return to NOTION