Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Using Notion in Jazz Guitar Lessons

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Using Notion in Jazz Guitar Lessons

Postby scarter » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 pm

For the most part, the discussion of using Notion in music education focuses on conducting, but there are lots of other educational uses of Notion. I use Notion in teaching jazz guitar lessons, both private lessons at my home studio, and online correspondence lessons. Here's how I use Notion in online correspondence lessons.

I create notation files using Notion. The jazz font, new in Notion 3, looks good for the jazz materials I write. I use a third-party tool to capture a portion of the Notion screen and embed it into lesson file written in HTML, as an indication of the content of the piece:
correspondence_snip1.jpg
Correspondence Lesson in HTML
correspondence_snip1.jpg (164.02 KiB) Viewed 7141 times

The HTML lesson has a Notation File link that opens a PDF of the Notion notation. I create the PDF from within Notion by printing to the freeware CutePDFWriter. The HTML lesson also has a link to a sound file. For simple exercises, such as arpeggio studies, I create a wav file from Notion, including a simple bass part, a drum part consisting of just hi-hat on 2 an 4 for time-keeping, and the guitar part. Example:
Stella_triads_arp_asc_desc.mp3
Arpeggio study
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 549 times

The Notion guitar sound output is, to put it politely, not very guitar-like, so for sound files demonstrating more complex exercises, I record the guitar part myself. I output just bass and drums from Notion to a wav file. Then I import that wav file into n-Track Studio, and overdub the guitar part myself. I use an Edirol UA-20 USB interface to feed the guitar into the computer.
Example:
Stella_head.mp3
Notion with overdub
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 524 times
scarter

Re: Using Notion in Jazz Guitar Lessons

Postby musicman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:08 am

You have a very nice method going for creating lessons. I just purchased Notion for it's awesome notation abilities and funcionality. I often use multiple programs to get the desired result like you do.

I will be using Notion 3 to create music lessons that cover a wide variety of topics like chord construction, scale construction, rhythm methods, reading music, ear training etc.. I have many original methods that I will now have the freedom to customize them.

Just the fact that I can remove the time signature is worth the price alone. I do not need to put in funky time signatures with some type of disclaimer. Now I also have Rewire and can transpose a score including the chords which is a blessing.

Thanks for your input on how you use Notion 3. I hope to hear more from you going forward.
musicman

Postby pauldrake » Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 am

Nice inputs on that on. I guess a good notion on a jazz guitar lessons can be a good key here. Reading and trying to learn it can really make things work out for the good of your playing style in the future. I just hope that things would be okay in the long run for that one.
Last edited by pauldrake on Fri May 20, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauldrake

Postby Admin » Wed May 18, 2011 8:37 am

Excellent!!

Cheers!
-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby vintagevibes » Wed May 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Not to hijack the thread but can Notion create proper barre chord diagrams?
vintagevibes

Return to NOTION