Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

GPO Aria and violin solo tremolo problem

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

GPO Aria and violin solo tremolo problem

Postby Owatone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi there!

First of all: I am amazed of version N3!! Really grateful!! Thanks' folks at Notion!!

Now: When I use the special created "template" for Garritan souns, I can - for instanse - use pizz. and Notion regognize it with no problem at all. That goes for a lot of expressions and techniques too. Thank you :)

But when it comes to tremolo.....well nothing happens.

I have downloaded an XML editor and looked thru the Garritan library but....hmmm......I cannot figure out a way to solve the problem. I am defenitely not a programer - he he - that's for sure :)

Can anyone help me out?

Cheers to everyone!!

PoA @ Owatone http://www.youtube.com/user/Owatunes
Owatone

Re: GPO Aria and violin solo tremolo problem

Postby astinov » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Owatone,

Thanks for your kind words. For the solo violin problem - I believe GPO has "playable" trills only on solo strings instruments. Which is unfortunate because the trills on those cannot be triggered just from notation.

Hope that helps

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Owatone » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:38 pm

astinov wrote:Hi Owatone,

Thanks for your kind words. For the solo violin problem - I believe GPO has "playable" trills only on solo strings instruments. Which is unfortunate because the trills on those cannot be triggered just from notation.

Hope that helps

Lubo Astinov

Thank you for your helpfulness!!

Greetings!

PoA
Owatone

Postby pcartwright » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Lubo,

Would it be possible to create a trill and/or tremolo for GPO's playable trills and tremolos in the same way that the Notion's bundled samples generate trills and tremolos? I really don't understand how the bundled sounds are used so I may be way off the mark, but if Notion's articulations actually MIDI notes for the Notion samples, then couldn't the ariculation rules be used for the GPO sounds?

Also, while I'm on the subject, is playback for fingered tremolos in the works? Even with Notion's bundled sounds it seems that the fingered tremolos are treated as measured tremolos. Does that make sense?
pcartwright

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:39 am

According to GPO's manual, trills and tremolos seems to be available via keyswitching (see attachment).
Why can't Notion handle it as preset rules?

Ps. You can drive +1000€ libraries from a cost effective program like N3 or N/VSE, then you need a 1000€ notation software to make a 100€ string section to trill?
Attachments
GPOManual.png
GPOManual.png (63.44 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:17 am

The section strings (which fabiolcati mentions) don't have the same playback as the solo strings. The section strings have samples that give the impression of many strings trilling at the same time (they're actually different sample files being used). The sections strings do follow trill rules quite effectively.

However, the solo strings use a basic sample and play the trill when you release the note (so all you actually do is press one key repeatedly with the keyswitch turned on to the appropriate interval and GPO does the rest), but this makes it difficult if not impossible to code in the rules file. The playable trill is nice because you can customize the speed of the trill, but again, it makes it difficult to code for in the rules file.

I'll reiterate my earlier question to Lubo:

Would it be possible to create a trill and/or tremolo for GPO's playable trills and tremolos in the same way that the Notion's bundled samples generate trills and tremolos (basically, use the MIDI sequence used by Notion files and thus bypass the playable trill feature)? I really don't understand how the bundled sounds are used so I may be way off the mark, but if Notion's articulations are actually MIDI notes for the Notion samples, then couldn't the ariculation rules be used for the GPO sounds?

Also, while I'm on the subject, is playback for fingered tremolos in the works? Even with Notion's bundled sounds it seems that the fingered tremolos are treated as measured tremolos. Does that make sense?
pcartwright

Postby astinov » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 am

Hey guys,

Yeah, the Garritan Section Strings, which this screenshot shows, are not the same as the solo Strings (unfortunately).

Now to the other question - NOTION3 doesn't generate trills - it plays a real trill - its not a MIDI sequence of two notes being alternated (that would sounds really artificial) but a real recorded trill.

As of now, you could write the trill out for the Garritan instruments. We will look into possible ways for generating 'MIDI' trills for the future.

Thanks guys, I hope that clarifies.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby pcartwright » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

That answers my questions. Thanks Lubo!
pcartwright

Return to NOTION