Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Beaming

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Beaming

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi all.

What's needed to force N3 to show this beaming pattern in a 3/4 score

I_I_I_I_I_I (6 eights grouped together)

instead of I_I_I I_I_I or I_I I_I I_I ?

Greetings
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Re: Beaming

Postby robbo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:14 pm

That's a good question and a very important one.

Since there's no answer yet, I'll ask further questions about beaming, where Notion 3 seems to have a serious problem.
After using an old version of Sibelius for some years, I've tried the demo version of Notion 3 and find that it has many attractive features (not the least of which is the open and constructive attitude of the Notion team, which is a refreshing change ;) ).

But there are very basic deficiencies in Notion's notation capability, and the most glaring one is the severe limitation on where beams can be placed. The way the beam tool works is brilliant, and gives the impression that beams can be placed absolutely anywhere, which is how it should be. Unfortunately this is far from the case. They cannot go over barlines, and they cannot even connect between some of the notes within a bar, as fabiolcati points out above.

This is a very basic shortcoming, and, considering what has been achieved already, should be an easy one to rectify. I'd really like to see Notion 3 succeed, and I'd like to be able to use it someday, but unless it can be updated to a point where it can easily notate passages such as the attached example, I'm sad to say that it cannot be taken seriously as a notation program.
Attachments
Excpt2 from Zooph-2.jpg
Excpt2 from Zooph-2.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 12140 times
robbo

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:57 am

robbo wrote:That's a good question and a very important one.
But there are very basic deficiencies in Notion's notation capability, and the most glaring one is the severe limitation on where beams can be placed. The way the beam tool works is brilliant, and gives the impression that beams can be placed absolutely anywhere, which is how it should be.

Hi robbo.
Thank you for pushing the question atop.
I agree with you and hope someone will give an answer to it.
Since I'm a classical-era fan, beaming 8ths one to the next one in the same bar is enough to me. Everything else is welcome a plus :D
Paraphrasing an old National Health's tune, I can say that, at the moment, "beaming is boring" ;)
Grretings
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby astinov » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Certain beaming patterns are not yet possible in NOTION3. We will be working on correcting this in the future.

Regards,

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby robbo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 pm

astinov wrote:Certain beaming patterns are not yet possible in NOTION3. We will be working on correcting this in the future.

Hi Lubo,

Thanks for your reply. I know it's not always easy to give timeline predictions about software fixes, but I can't help but wonder how far "in the future" this might be. It doesn't sound like a priority.
I'd really like to switch to Notion, but until this basic problem is fixed (along with cross-staff beaming, an issue raised in a couple of earlier threads) there's no point in buying it as it would be useless for me. There are undoubtedly other potential customers in the same boat.

robbo
robbo

Postby robbo » Thu May 13, 2010 4:16 pm

Great news about the new classical guitar samples, and the improved beam tool; congratulations to the Notion developers on both counts!

The beaming demo video shows that the beam tool is greatly improved, and works perfectly within the bar. The one thing they forgot to demonstrate in the video is beaming across the barline, which is essential. Could we please see a demonstration of this?
robbo

Postby robbo » Tue May 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Any progress on beaming across barlines etc. as per the example in my message above?
robbo

Postby thorrild » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Dear Fabio,

Returning to your original post a bit late, I think I found an answer to your question — although I don't understand why it works:

In the Time Signature dialogue box, entering "3" for upper, "4" for lower, and "5+1" for beaming pattern, produces the result you asked for 2 years ago.

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby fabiolcati » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:09 am

This eventually ends two painful years.
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby robbo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm

thorrild wrote:Dear Fabio,

Returning to your original post a bit late, I think I found an answer to your question — although I don't understand why it works:

In the Time Signature dialogue box, entering "3" for upper, "4" for lower, and "5+1" for beaming pattern, produces the result you asked for 2 years ago.

Best,
Thorrild

Well done Thorrild, and congratulations Fabio, at last! But that's a crazily laborious solution to a straightforward requirement.

Now, about my question of two years ago: can you arrange the beams easily as in the example I posted above (done, obviously, in another notation program named after a certain composer) which is really pretty basic, or is there no interest in providing composers with this kind of essential flexibility?
robbo

Next

Return to NOTION