Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Needing advice from a guitar player

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Needing advice from a guitar player

Postby Mister HU » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi. I'm notating for acoustic guitar for the first time, and never having played the guitar, I'm wondering what the limits of fingering on the fret board are. For example, I have notated one of the strings to be on the first fret, and another string to be on the eighth. Is that too much of a stretch for the human hand? What's the general fret range that one would want to keep the fingering to?

Thanks for any advice.
Mister HU

Re: Needing advice from a guitar player

Postby Ronn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:58 am

First, try to find some on-line scores of classical guitar pieces for listening and examination. You can try some guitar periodicals that have transcriptions as well for more modern rock techniques.
You will notice that many times chords with large intervals are easier to play on guitar than certain chords that are closer in pitch range. You will also see that you will need to be selective in terms of how many notes are in a chord since some chords will be awkward to play. Find a guitar transcription of a piano piece and much will become obvious.

Last, ask a good guitarist about what you are doing.
Ronn

Postby scarter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 am

A stretch of eight frets is pretty much impossible. Six frets is a tough stretch for most guitarists.

For the interval you describe, two handed tapping would be required (a la Tuck Andress).

As Ronn pointed out, close voicings can be rough on the guitar. Classic example, Johnny Smith's version of Moonlight In Vermont:
moonlight_johnny_smith.jpg
moonlight_johnny_smith.jpg (11.92 KiB) Viewed 6416 times

These voicings are a bit difficult for most guitarists.

Here's how I voice it (different key, of course):
moonlight_sc.jpg
moonlight_sc.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 6416 times

Steve
Last edited by scarter on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarter

Postby Mister HU » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for that advice. I'll check out the links.
Mister HU

Postby sepheritoh » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:53 am

As a general rule, 4 frets are the maximum stretch for a guitarist. Even 4 frets should not be used too often, as it fatigues the hand. 4 Frets only possible for me if play the 4th by the pinky and only one note. Even 3 frets should be used less regularly, i.e. allowed, but not for too long periods and little movement allowed in that range.

Keep in mind that the frets are getting closer to each other futher up the fret board. Much easier to play it on the 12th fret and 16th, where I can play the 12th and 18th comfortably.

Another thing to keep in mind is to make use of open strings where possible. Eg. you can play any string 5th fret, except the 3rd, as the next highr as an open string, i.e. string 2/5th = string 1/open. String 3/4th = string 2/open.
sepheritoh

Postby Mister HU » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Good to know, thank you. This piece is just for my own enjoyment, so I'm not stressing over it, but as an education, I've been revising the fingering as much as I can to make it truly playable.
Mister HU

Return to NOTION