Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

NTempo

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

NTempo

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Is there any way to control where NTempo thinks the beats should be? Right now in 6/8 it wants to use 3 quarter note beats instead of 2 doted quarter beats. Or does it just not work in triple time?
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Re: NTempo

Postby thorrild » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Bill,

Don't leave the NTempo staff empty. Fill in with notes of the value you want to tap. If it's a compound meter like 6/8, enter 2 dotted quarters in the NTempo staff and you should be in business. In fact, you can enter whatever you like in the NTempo staff. If you are in 3/4 and only want to tap each downbeat, then fill the NTempo staff with dotted half notes.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks T, I knew you'd be the one to help.

I hadn't actually put in the NTempo staff; was just trying out the "Conductor".
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:27 pm

The Conductor, or triggering can begin after playback has been started, even when there is no NTempo staff. This is handy for auditioning sections of playback and eliminates the need for an NTempo staff if the user is never going to use it while composing a score.

Just start playback [spacebar], and begin to trigger quarter notes either by using your MIDI controller or the ASCII keyboard. It seems that quarter notes are the default playback trigger values. It is a bit confusing when you come to passages of dotted quarters against the quarter trigger, but, that might just be me since I am used to triggering an NTempo staff to read as a guide.

My suggestion is to always add an NTempo staff. It gives access to great control of ritards, accelerandos, fermatas and caesuras. Plus, you always have a conductor handy!

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION