Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion printing crops score

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion printing crops score

Postby dcf16 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi there,

My first time trying to print from Notion. When I go to print it's zoomed in on the centre of the score and all the rest is cut off the edge of the page. I have mucked around with page size and orientation but nothing seems to fix it.

Are there any scaling options anywhere to reduce the size of the score to the page size required? I've been looking but can't find anything.

Thanks for your help.

Duncan
dcf16

Re: Notion printing crops score

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:34 am

dcf16 wrote:Hi there,

My first time trying to print from Notion. When I go to print it's zoomed in on the centre of the score and all the rest is cut off the edge of the page. I have mucked around with page size and orientation but nothing seems to fix it.

Are there any scaling options anywhere to reduce the size of the score to the page size required? I've been looking but can't find anything.

Thanks for your help.

Duncan

Check the settings for your printer driver, as well as the detailed configuration of page layout (a.k.a., "page setup") in NOTION 4 . . .

On the Mac, when you click on the "Page setup . . . " menu item in the NOTION 4 "File" menu, you have the option to specify the details for printing, including the printable area . . .

[NOTE: These are done with the 64-bit version of NOTION 4 in Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), but it is a 32-bit NOTION 4 score that I used as an example in another topic in this FORUM, hence the references to "Philharmonik" (a.k.a., "Miroslav Philharmonik), which currently is a 32-bit only VSTi virtual instrument . . .]

However, this is done based on the specific printer you have selected, which is separate from ensuring that the driver for the specific printer is correct and current . . .

Mac OS X usually checks for printer driver updates automagically, and when there are updates, it gives you the option to install the updates via the Mac OS X "Software Update . . . " system, but you can check manually for printer driver updates at the printer manufacturer's website. Windows might do something similar, but I have no way to verify that it does . . .

If you can work with PDF files, then another way to adjust printing is to print the score as a PDF file, but this also keys on the specific printer and page layout. Everything required to work with PDF files is present on the Mac, but for Windows I think you need a PDF utility program (at least for older versions of Windows), and some of the Windows PDF utilities tend to want to add stuff to your web browser, which is best avoided. You can get Adobe Acrobat, but it is not free and typically costs more than a consumer quality printer . . .

The best printing is obtained when you have the correct and current driver for your specific printer, and it usually is better to use the printer driver that matches your printer rather than a generic or standard printer driver that is not specific to your actual printer . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby tubatimberinger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Did you try adjusting the >Notation Size< ?

-t
tubatimberinger

Postby Admin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:27 am

Surfwhammy's post points out the way to change and manage print sizes and print formatting.

Does this work for you?

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dcf16 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Sorry, still no luck. I've tried everything you listed and I'm still getting pages that are zoomed into the centre of the score.

Something very buggy here, I've never had this with other Notation apps before.

I'm working with a score that someone else originally started in Musescore but then imported to Notion as an xml. When I start a new score everything seems to want to print fine until I change the page size to match my printer. Rather than scaling it just cuts off the bottom.

Is there is a way to make sure it all automatically scales?

When I print to pdf it doesn't fix it, it just puts the bottom of the first page over the top of the second page making it look a real mess.
dcf16

Postby dcf16 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Just figured it out (funny how reading the manual is the last thing I do these days!).

You can't have page view as 'continuous' when trying to print. Don't know why - works ok in that mode in Sibelius. Anyway, changing the page view has resolved my printing issues.

Thanks for your help.
dcf16

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Interesting…

Continuous View fixed it?

If you switch to continuous view and then back to pages view, does the issue stay resolved?

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION