Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Mavericks osx 10.9

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Mavericks osx 10.9

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Andree wrote:I do have problems with Notion 4 on Mavericks!
Since the upgrade, I hear crackling noise during playback. I use the latest versions of Mavericks and Notion 4 so what's wrong?

There are several possibilities, all of which for the most part are easily remedied, but without more information about your Mac and whether you are using an external digital audio and MIDI interface like the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, it is not so easy to guess, although lack of information has never been a problem for me with respect to guessing, since providing advice is like playing grand piano, where if you play enough notes very rapidly, at least one of the notes might be a keeper . . .

(1) Depending on the way you did the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), or whether you started with a new Mac that came with Mavericks installed from the factory, it is possible and in some respects likely that a few of the system parameters were set to defaults, which can cause problems . . .

You can check the primary audio configuration settings using the Mac OS X utility "Audio MIDI Setup", and since NOTION 4 (32-bit and 64-bit) generates audio at standard CD quality (44,100-Hz and 16-bits), this is one of the things to verify . . .

It also is good to check the settings for "Sound" via the "System Preferences" control panel, which you can launch from the Apple menu ("System Preferences . . ."), although there is not much to set, really . . .

One of the things that happened after I upgraded from Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) to Mavericks is that the settings for the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid reverted to the factory defaults, but since this is one of the things I check, it was easy to remedy, where the problem was that the factory default has the main stereo output going to "Analog 1-2" rather than to "Main Out 1-2", and the "Enable Core Audio Volume Controls" option was unchecked when it should have been checked, but the "Sample Rate" ("44100") parameter was correct, which was good . . .

And you need to check the NOTION 4 Preferences for Audio, which you do via the NOTION 4 Preferences control panel, of course . . .

In particular, observing that the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) with 20GB of memory and a Seagate 3TB primary drive (7,200 RPM) here in the sound isolation studio experienced a bit of "crackling", one of the things I did after a few experiments was to increase the NOTION 4 "Audio Buffer Size" to "1024 Samples", as shown in the screen capture (see above), and the reason for doing this is that I use MachFive 3 (MOTU) for certain instruments, and for those instruments MachFive 3 is heavily sampled, which in some instances maps to nearly 10,000 sample sets, since it is chromatically sampled with extensive samples for specific articulations and takes from 30 seconds to a minute to load into memory, where as an example the "F Grand 278" piano has approximately 1,300 keygroups and takes 45 seconds to load into memory, while the "Mark79" electric piano has approximately 2,500 keygroups but takes only 25 seconds to load into memory, and these are not the most heavily sampled MachFive 3 virtual instruments . . .

Generally, the logic for determining the optimal NOTION 4 "Audio Buffer Size" is based on the idea that smaller but not too small is best, but it depends on the specifics, and the strategy I use is based on doing experiments, and while "256 Samples" was fine for everything before I started using MachFive 3, once I added MachFive 3 and started using it, the optimal "Audio Buffer Size" for the system here in the sound isolation studio now is "1024 Samples", and this includes doing some experiments to ensure that ReWire 2 is happy, as are the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) applications that I use, where my primary DAW application is Digital Performer 8.05 (MOTU), noting that it usually is good practice to have all the audio buffer sizes match, although doing experiments is a good way to determine what works best . . .

And there was an update for the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid that I downloaded from the MOTU website, which probably was what reset the driver parameters to factory defaults (as explained above) . . .

(2) The amount of system memory for your Mac is very important, and when you are running everything in 64-bit mode, I recommend having at least 16GB of system memory, and this is based on checking memory usage with the Mac OS X "Activity Monitor" application which is updated for Mavericks and clearly shows that Mavericks is able to do better multicore processing and is able to use more of the available system memory, where the key bit of information is that if your Mac has 4GB or 8GB of system memory, then if possible you need to do a memory upgrade, since the additional memory will be used, at least as much as 16GB. I have not seen total memory usage above 16GB, and the highest I have seen so far is 14.75GB, but this is near enough to 16GB for me to recommend 16GB as a good value. For reference, I can increase the Mac Pro system memory to 32GB, but at present I see no need to do this, and I think that getting a faster PCI Express video card makes more sense at approximately the same cost, but everything is very peppy, so I am holding that thought . . .

(3) Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) has a new feature that one can only guess is intended to make energy conscious folks "happy" or whatever, and this new feature is called "App Nap" but only applies to newer Mac computers, not to the Early 2008 Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio . . .

"App Nap" has the ability to put an application running the background and not visible on the screen to sleep, where the idea is that this conserves battery power for newer MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models, and "App Nap" is not supposed to activate when an application is generating audio, but who knows what it actually does?

Not me!

My perspective, it is that it might save enough energy over a decade to power a miniature LED flashlight for a few seconds, hence even though it does not apply to the Early 2008 Mac Pro, I disabled it for all my digital music production applications, which is done via "Get Info", as shown in the following screen capture . . .

[NOTE: The copyright notice dates need to be updated to include 2013, which is one of the things one learns to check after doing software quality control, standards and practices, configuration management, and installer programming for a while, where the primary required skills are (a) a somewhat vast metaphysically annoying attention to detail and (b) the ability to make staff meetings nearly intolerable, but only when necessary, and then only rarely needing to wander into the Spandex® dance pants and infamous rubber chicken routine . . . :P ]

(4) Another thing that can happen if you upgraded from NOTION 3 to NOTION 4 but kept NOTION 3 on your system is that NOTION 3 will use the NOTION 4 Preference for the location of the NOTION 4 bundled and expansion sounds, hence if you need to use NOTION 3, you first should set NOTION 4 to run in 32-bit mode and point it to the NOTION 3 native and bundled instruments, but the best strategy is to stop using NOTION 3 and to convert the differently named or whatever NOTION 3 native instruments to the NOTION 4 names, where so far this happens mostly with "E. Guitar", which for me is not a problem, since the only reason I have NOTION 3 is to help folks with problems involving the currently 32-bit version of Miroslav Philharmonik (IK Multimedia), and this does not involve using NOTION virtual instruments . . .

(5) If you needed to re-register any of your digital music production applications and redo the respective licensing software, then checking all the configuration parameters for those digital music production applications makes sense, as does checking at the respective websites to determine whether there are updates for Mavericks, since most of the digital music production applications other than Logic Pro 9/X (Apple) are not checked for updates automagically via Mac App Store functionality, where as an example there is an update to Digital Performer (MOTU), and you learn about this either via an email from MOTU or by checking the MOTU website for updates, and there also is an update (2.6.1) to Studio One (PreSonus) that includes updates for Mavericks . . .

THOUGHTS

This is what comes to mind at present based on not having a lot of information about your Mac and digital audio production system, which does not need to be detailed, but should include the model of your Mac; amount of system memory; and whether you are using an external digital audio and MIDI interface device like the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid; as well as which virtual instruments you are using when the "crackling" occurs . . .

And this might be a problem which is better suited to getting help from Notion Music technical support, but it is the weekend, and I might be able to provide some help if I know more about the specifics of the problem . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Admin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Are you using any VST's?

What audio driver are you using?

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andree » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Surfwhammy, thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I appreciate your help.
I have an iMac 2011 with 12 Gb of RAM as well as a Saffire pro 14 FireWire audio/midi interface, however, the crackling noise is present both with the internal and external audio interfaces.

I can't find any problems with the settings so far. I have tried to check the "prevent app nap" thing in Notion but that didn't help.

Admin, I use Miroslav Philharmonik in Notion.
Andree

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Andree wrote:Surfwhammy, thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I appreciate your help.
I have an iMac 2011 with 12 Gb of RAM as well as a Saffire pro 14 FireWire audio/midi interface, however, the crackling noise is present both with the internal and external audio interfaces.

I can't find any problems with the settings so far. I have tried to check the "prevent app nap" thing in Notion but that didn't help.

Admin, I use Miroslav Philharmonik in Notion.

Glad to help! :)

Since you are using Miroslav Philharmonik (IK Multimedia), you probably are running NOTION 4 in 32-bit mode, in which case NOTION 4 is constrained by the 32-bit application workspace with respect to memory, which on the Mac is 4GB at most, even though your iMac has 12GB of memory and is running a 64-bit operating system . . .

These are a few more questions:

(1) How many staves in your NOTION 4 score are assigned to Miroslav Philharmonik virtual instruments?

(2) Are you using any VST effect plug-ins?

(3) Are you using any other VSTi virtual instruments, for example Addictive Drums or Addictive Keys (XLN Audio), Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), or MachFive 3 (MOTU)?

THOUGHTS

The most probable explanation is that you have exceeded the virtual instrumentation and perhaps effects plug-ins that can run with no problems in a 32-bit application workspace . . .

It is important to have all the hardware and software set to use standard CD quality (44,100-Hz at 16-bits), which includes the external digital audio and MIDI interface and everything associated with CoreAudio, where the Mac OS X utility "Audio MIDI Setup" is another place where audio resolution is specified for different input and output devices . . .

[NOTE: I am listening to audio via the Mac Pro headphone output port, and this is the way it is configured in Audio MIDI Setup . . . ]

Audio MIDI Setup ~ Audio Devices

EXPERIMENT

Create a new score in NOTION 4 (32-bit) and add one VSTi virtual instrument for Miroslav Philharmonik, which is done via the following, where after clicking on the fly-out, the standalone user interface for Miroslav Philharmonik appears and you can assign a specific instrument, which for the experiment can be any instrument but just one instance . . .

Exit NOTION 4 Score Setup and then save the score, followed by writing some music notation and playing it . . .

With only one VSTi virtual instrument for the entire score, you should hear the audio clearly with no crackling or other noises . . .

Let me know the results of this experiment . . . :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Admin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:16 pm

That is a very broad question. If you are having trouble, I suggest contacting support. That way we can throroughly test through the problem that you are having and better determine what might be causing the problem.

You can reach technical support, Monday-Friday from 9-5:30 by phone or email.

The number is:

336-275-2994
or
1-866-398-2994

The email address is:

support@notionmusic.com

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andree » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Surfwhammy, thanks for your reply.

I have now tried to change the settings in the Audio Midi setup, using 2 ch. 16-bit instead of 2 ch. 24-bit, but that didn't help. I also have to say that I haven't made any changes in any settings or in the score since I used Mountain Lion, where I had no problems at all. The crackling issue started just after the Mavericks OS installation, so there must be a system problem, either in the OS or in Notion. However, I have noticed that the Miroslav interface has become very buggy, I cannot choose instruments and it behaves really strange. Is it possible that Miroslav isn't compatible with Mavericks?

Answers to your questions:

1) If you mean number of instrument tracks, that is 18 pcs.
2) No external effects, just the internal reverb.
3) No, I only use Miroslav Philharmonik.

It cannot be a RAM issue since the actual piece is using 1.24 Gb only.
Andree

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Andree wrote:Surfwhammy, thanks for your reply.

I have now tried to change the settings in the Audio Midi setup, using 2 ch. 16-bit instead of 2 ch. 24-bit, but that didn't help. I also have to say that I haven't made any changes in any settings or in the score since I used Mountain Lion, where I had no problems at all. The crackling issue started just after the Mavericks OS installation, so there must be a system problem, either in the OS or in Notion. However, I have noticed that the Miroslav interface has become very buggy, I cannot choose instruments and it behaves really strange. Is it possible that Miroslav isn't compatible with Mavericks?

Answers to your questions:

1) If you mean number of instrument tracks, that is 18 pcs.
2) No external effects, just the internal reverb.
3) No, I only use Miroslav Philharmonik.

It cannot be a RAM issue since the actual piece is using 1.24 Gb only.

I have not had any problems with any of the IK Multimedia virtual instruments and NOTION 3 or the 32-bit version of NOTION 4, but I have had a few problems with Mavericks, most or perhaps all of which have logical explanations, hence at present do not bother me, and everything is working nicely at present . . .

Do this experiment and let me know the results . . .

EXPERIMENT #1

(1) Make a copy of the NOTION 4 score that has 18 instruments, which you can do via "Save As . . . " . . .

(2) Then delete 17 of the instruments (staves and instruments), and save the score . . .

(3) Click "Play", and listen for any crackling . . .

If there is no "crackling", then there are too many instruments in the original NOTION 4 score, but if there is "crackling", then something else is the problem . . .

This is another experiment you can do . . .

EXPERIMENT #2

(1) Visit the IK Multimedia website and download the FREE version of SampleTank . . .

(2) Install, authorize, and register SampleTank FREE . . .

(3) Point the SampleTank library to the folder where your Miroslav Philharmonik "Instruments" are located . . .

(4) Create a new NOTION 4 score and populate it with one instance of the VSTi virtual instrument version of SampleTank and select a Miroslav Philharmonik instrument . . .

(5) Save the score and press "Play", while listening for "crackling" or any other problems . . .

The reason for using SampleTank FREE is that it is the most current version of the SampleTank engine, and Miroslav Philharmonik is a visual wrapper on the SampleTank engine, plus it is a separate set of sampled sounds . . .

The sampled sounds work with SampleTank FREE, and you just need to tell SampleTank FREE where to find them, which you do via "PREFS" in the SampleTank FREE standalone user interface, as is the case with all the IK Multimedia virtual Instruments . . .

THOUGHTS

It is entirely possible that the problem is Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) . . .

So far, I have installed it three times, and it is working nicely now . . .

The first time I made a mistake in the way I partitioned a new Seagate 3TB drive and used it to clone the Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) primary hard drive, after which I removed the Mountain Lion hard drive and did the Mavericks install to the newly cloned drive, but partitioning it incorrectly caused problems, where as best as I can determine I made it a logical group or whatever maps to CoreStorage, which is the way Fusion drives are partitioned . . .

The Mac OS X "Disk Utility" cannot correct that problem, but I found how to do it after a bit of web searching, and it is done at the UNIX level via Terminal, where you get the GUID or UUID for the logical storage group and then delete it using the GUID or UUID, where these are the commands, where the first command lists the hard drives and their GUIDs or UUIDs. The second command deletes the logical volume group that is identified by the respective GUID or UUID:

(1)
Code: Select all
diskutil cs list

If there are any CoreStorage logical volume groups, this command will list them and show the identifiers, but if there are none, then this is how the Terminal output looks:

[NOTE: If there is one, and you want to delete it, then the following command does the delete, which returns the hard drive to the way it came from the factory, at least in terms of zapping the logical names, partitions, and so forth, but it does not do a full erase of all the data . . . ]

(2)
Code: Select all
diskutil cs delete <GUID or UUID>

The second time I did the same procedure but correctly formatted a second new hard drive, and this was working nicely until I decided to check all the various system parameters, during which time I changed a few of them, and then I could not login to Mavericks, and the signs before I restarted but could not login included all the applications being sluggish . . .

At present, I have two hypotheses, one of which is that the hard drive has or had a mechanical problem and the other is that I changed some key parameter that makes it impossible to login, but I have no idea what parameter that might be . . .

So, having corrected the first hard drive that I had incorrectly partitioned, I used it to clone the Mountain Lion hard drive and then did a third install of Mavericks, after which I did not mess with any of the system parameters, but before pulling the hard drive that had been working, I made copies of the Desktop and other files to another drive that I use for archiving . . .

I had to reauthorize a few applications, and I also had to download and install a new version of the iLok software, which I did not need to do the first two times, but this went quickly, and I have copies of everything I did, hence did not lose any work . . .

This was a new set of problems, and I do not recall anything about CoreStorage logical volume groups prior to Mavericks, so it might be something new associated with Mavericks and Fusion drives, but regardless I know how to work with it now, which is great . . .

One of the things I did was to disable the location stuff, and that might have been what caused the problem the second time, although this is only a guess . . .

And since I do software engineering and have done this for decades, I make plenty of copies of stuff, so if something stops working I can rollback the clock and try it another way . . .

In some respects, it can be a bit frustrating, but it is one of the ways I learn new stuff about computers; and when I was focused on Windows I kept a separate computer that I would intentionally infect with viruses to discover how to uninfect them, where infecting them was easy, since it just requires disabling anti-virus software and visiting a website that installs a virus . . .

I do not collect Windows viruses, but it was a bit of FUN to discover how to remove viruses, especially since some of them were very gnarly, where as I recall one of them put a hook on the system registry such that when I removed part of a virus that was stored in the system registry, I could watch it reappear in the system registry just a few seconds after I removed it, which was as brilliant as it was surreal, but the key to solving that part of the problem was to do a Safe Boot to MS-DOS and then to zap the hooked application, which you can do in MS-DOS without it having the opportunity to hook, where discovering how to solve that "puzzle" took a few days and was grand FUN . . .

Summarizing, the way I solve problems is a combination of doing research and experiments, and if none of the experiments work, then I call technical support for the product(s), except that at least one time the AppleCare high-level technical support folks told me that whatever I did baffled them and the best strategy was to flatten the hard drive and start over from scratch--which is one of the reasons I do not like to tinker with the UNIX layer--so the idea of getting technical support is good, but occasionally there is nothing they can do, in which case you have to start all over and install everything, which is such a hassle that I make a diligent effort to avoid it . . .

Do the experiments, and let me know the results . . .

P. S. If I run the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid for 18 to 24 hours, I usually turn it OFF and then turn it back ON to clear the various audio-related buffers; and I have noticed that the audio for some websites (mostly CNN) occasionally speeds-up, and these are operating system (a.k.a., Mavericks) types of odd behaviors, so it could be that some of the new code for Mavericks has problems with your particular Mac, Intel processor, and so forth; but for me, toggling the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid is not something new, and in particular it is necessary after doing ReWire for hours at a time, hence it is not something I consider to be a problem, mostly because ReWire is a complex technology . . .

QUESTION: What happens if you run Miroslav Philharmonik by itself rather than as a virtual instrument for NOTION 4?

In other words, with no digital music production application running, start the standalone version of Miroslav Philharmonik ("Miroslav Philharmonik.app") by double-clicking it in the "Applications" folder, and see how it works. If the audio "crackles", then this eliminates NOTION 4 and any other audio applications as the cause . . .
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:43 am

Based on my experiences so far with upgrading from Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) to Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), my current recommendation is to use SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) to clone the primary Mountain Lion hard drive and then to do the Mavericks upgrade to the cloned Mountain Lion hard drive, where with SuperDuper! you can name the cloned Mountain Lion hard drive "Mavericks HD" or whatever name you find useful . . .

[NOTE: The free version of SuperDuper! clones hard drives, but I like to get the license, since it helps keep the company in business, and they provide very useful technical support when you encounter a problem, plus the license is not very expensive . . . ]

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

If you are doing this with a Mac Pro, then I also recommend removing the original Mountain Lion primary hard drive from the machine, where you keep it handy in case you need to rollback the clock . . .

For Mac mini, iMac, and MacBook models, where it is not easy to remove the primary hard drive, I like the LaCie d2 Quadra 3.0 external hard drive for doing the clone, since LaCie external drives always are designed to be bootable for the Mac, which is very important for this particular usage . . .

[NOTE: This LaCie external hard drive might be faster than the primary internal hard drive for a mac Mini, iMac, or MacBook Pro when you use the USB 3.0 interface, and it is bootable for the Mac . . . ]

2TB d2 Quadra USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (LaCie)

As noted in the postscript of my previous post, I have installed Mavericks three times, although the first time definitely was my mistake, and I am not so certain about the second time, but the third time is working nicely, and I have avoided the tendency to tinker with system parameters the third time . . .

My current plan is to zap the hard drive from the second time and then to redo it like I did the third time, since I am curious to know whether the hard drive has a mechanical problem or the odd behaviors were due to my tinkering with system parameters, since if it has a mechanical problem it is under warranty, and I can exchange it for a new hard drive . . .

This is the first time I have had to redo a Mac OS X upgrade three times, and I only had to do it two times once, and that time was due to tinkering with UNIX where I tried to change the name of the computer but apparently did something that caused such a mess that AppleCare at the highest technical level gave up after several hours and said that the only solution was to start all over . . .

Nevertheless, I know a bit more about the way things work now than I did a few weeks ago, which is fine with me, and it appears to be possible to create a "do it yourself" Fusion drive using CoreStorage logical volume groups, which is intriguing . . .

If you expect to be able to work on clocks, at some point you need to dissemble a few clocks to see how they work, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Andree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Surfwhammy, thanks for your tips. I have now tried your experiments and here are the results:

Experiment 1.
The problem starts when I listen to four instrument tracks or more, but again, before I upgraded to Mavericks I could play pieces with a lot more than 20 tracks without any problems.

Experiment 2.
The same result so there must be something wrong with Miroslav.

I also want to say that the "Apple rainbow wheel" comes up a lot more often now in Notion, compared to Mountain Lion, so I guess I have to go back to Mountain Lion
Andree

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:23 am

Andree wrote:Surfwhammy, thanks for your tips. I have now tried your experiments and here are the results:

Glad to help!
:)

Andree wrote:Experiment 1.
The problem starts when I listen to four instrument tracks or more, but again, before I upgraded to Mavericks I could play pieces with a lot more than 20 tracks without any problems.

I expected everything to be fine until at least 10 instruments, but the problem occurring beginning with 4 instruments is not expected, but it provides useful information . . .

Andree wrote:
Experiment 2.
The same result so there must be something wrong with Miroslav.

This makes sense and is consistent with the results of the first experiment . . .

Andree wrote:
I also want to say that the "Apple rainbow wheel" comes up a lot more often now in Notion, compared to Mountain Lion, so I guess I have to go back to Mountain Lion

This provides another clue . . .

THOUGHTS

As explained in more detail in my previous posts, I encountered the "Apple rainbow wheel" slowness the first two times I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) from Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), but I made some mistakes the first two times, where the first time is explained easily by the goofy way I partitioned the "Mavericks HD" primary drive, where I made it a CoreStorage logical volume group, which really was goofy, and I also tinkered with some configuration parameters, which just made it worse . . .

Everything was working nicely the second time until I tinkered with some security options and disabled "Location Services", and soon after doing that I did a restart and could not login with my primary account, but i have another account and I could login with it, but after a few minutes it got the "Apple rainbow wheel", and when I did another restart I could not login to either of the privileged user accounts, which was when I decided to do the upgrade again using another new hard drive, and this time I did the disk partition correctly and did not tinker with anything, and everything is working nicely after five days, which includes doing some digital music production work and verifying everything . . .

Based on what you are reporting and what I observed here in the sound isolation studio, two hypotheses come to mind, based in part on the fact that your Mac is newer than the Mac Pro (Early 2008) here in the sound isolation studio, hence should have fewer problems related to older hardware and so forth . . .

(1) There might be a problem with the Miroslav Philharmonik sampled sound library files, which certainly is consistent with the "Apple rainbow wheel" as a clue . . .

(2) There might be a problem with the way the Mavericks installer did any remapping of your primary hard drive, where perhaps some files were corrupted or something similar happened . . .

It is good to be able to revert to Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), if this is something you can do easily, which is case here in the sound isolation studio since I cloned the original Mountain Lion primary hard drive and used the clone to upgrade to Mavericks after physically removing the original Mountain Lion primary hard drive, hence all I need to do to revert to Mountain Lion is to swap the primary hard drives, which takes just a few minutes and is very easy to do on a Mac Pro, where it takes longer to power-down and to reboot than it does to swap the primary hard drives . . .

However, there is another experiment you can do that will provide a very useful clue . . .

EXPERIMENT #3

(1) Login to the IK Multimedia website, and go to your User Area where you will find the link to the FREE sound samples library for SampleTank FREE. This sampled sound library is approximately 500MB, as I recall, and you want to download it and copy the sampled sounds to the "Instruments" folder for SampleTank FREE, all of which will make sense when you see the files and so forth . . .

[NOTE: It has been a while since I did this, but I just downloaded the SampleTank FREE sampled sounds library, and it is approximately 472MB, where the following screen capture shows how it looks in the User Area, which is where the download link is located . . . ]

[NOTE: These are the contents of the SampleTank FREE Sounds archive file ("SampleTank_Free_Sounds.zip"), and you just need to copy the contents of the "Instruments" folder to the "Instruments" folder for SampleTank FREE, preferably after moving your full copy of the Miroslav Philharmonik sounds to another location to avoid any possibility of using them rather than the SampleTankFREE sounds. You do not need to use the sounds installer, and it might not work, anyway . . . ]

(2) When the SampleTank FREE sampled sounds library is installed and you have verified by running the standalone version of SampleTank FREE by itself with no other digital music production applications running (NOTION 4, DAW application, or anything else), create a new NOTION 4 score and then repeat EXPERIMENT #1, but this time use the SampleTank FREE sampled sounds library instruments rather than the Miroslav Philharmonik sampled sounds library instruments . . .

EXPECTED RESULT: You should be able to start with one instrument staff and then work upward to perhaps 20 instrument staves with no problems . . .

If this is what happens, then I think this probably isolates the problem to the Miroslav Philharmonik sampled sounds library, which probably is corrupted in one way or another; in which case you need to delete the Miroslav Philharmonik sampled sounds library; do a Disk Repair and do a Permissions Repair, followed by installing a fresh copy of the Miroslav Philharmonik sampled sounds library, which you might need to download from the IK Multimedia website, but I would start a trouble ticket with IK Multimedia technical support with the general goal being to avoid having to pay a fee to reactivate the "Sounds" download. The IK Multimedia technical support folks can do that, and I think they should. You should not need to pay to download the Miroslav Philharmonik "Sounds" in this scenario. My experience is that the IK Multimedia folks are like the Notion Music folks, and they really want everything to work, and they make a diligent effort to help folks when there are problems . . .

If you get the following message when you check the "Sounds" download for Miroslav Philharmonik in your IK Multimedia User Area, the create a trouble ticket and let IK Multimedia technical support know what is happening, so that they can help you solve the problem . . .

[NOTE: If you have the physical media (CD/DVD), then you will get this message, but you might try re-installing from the physical media first, since that might work just as well, except that instead of running the "Sounds" installer, examine the physical media and see if the files are there, in which case you only need to copy the files. As I recall, the installer for the physical media is older and might not work in newer versions of Mac OS X, hence the workaround is to copy the files, which should be in a single large folder, so you just need to copy the folder from the physical media to the "Instruments" folder of SampleTank FREE. If you need help with this, let me know, but IK Multimedia technical support can help, and they have access to more options, as well . . . ]

If the entire problem is simply a matter of the Miroslav Philharmonik sample sounds library being corrupted, then this can be corrected, but if the newly downloaded and installed SampleTank FREE sampled sounds library has the same problem, then something else is happening, in which case I think the solution requires a bit more work, which begins by reverting to Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) and then moves to doing a full backup of your Mountain Lion primary drive with SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket), since you might have some broken files, which SuperDuper! will identify, one at a time, so that you can fix each one, which basically involves uninstalling the offending application and then either (a) reinstalling it or (b) not using it, which depends on whether you actually need the application, where for example several of the Adobe applications on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio had broken frameworks, and since they were automatic update checkers and other nonsense, I just deleted them and all associated files and did not reinstall them, but Xcode and iTunes also had broken frameworks, so I removed them and then installed the current updates to both, which took a while but worked nicely (Xcode is approximately 5GB, which takes an hour or two to download, but iTunes is smaller so it downloads and installs in less time) . . .

You can do the primary hard drive cloning with the FREE version of SuperDuper!, but you need an external hard drive, of course, and it needs to be bootable, where I like LaCie external hard drives for this purpose . . .

Summarizing, I think that doing EXPERIMENT #3 will provide useful clues, and if everything works nicely with the SampleTank FREE sampled sounds library, then this tends to make it definitive that the problem is the Miroslav Philharmonik sampled sounds library, which can be corrected by reinstalling it, unless there is a different problem that affects more than just the Miroslav Philharmonik sampled sounds library . . .

The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION