Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

CSRHall;Text;Tuplets;Copy;Hairpins

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

CSRHall;Text;Tuplets;Copy;Hairpins

Postby retnev » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:22 pm

I will rather post all questions and then repost the ones that get no answer. I currently using Notion4 manual as there is seemingly no Notion3 manual.

Question 1:
CSR Hall (from install DVD) seems to create a lot of trouble with Notion. If I install it, and use it, Notion starts playing erratically. Any update on a fix ?
I dont use it now and Notion works better.

Question2:
I need to keep a lot of Notes with my scores. As I used to do it manually it is easy to just add a document to the score explaining sections in the score. I cannot find any way in notion to add extensive notes to a specific page in a score. All the text functions is basically lyrical or titles or dedications that span all pages etc.. It would be nice if I could add a text page that is available as comments on pages of the score or text boxes at specific points.
During composition it is important to be able to document motivations for passages or how and why you arrived there for later use and overall understanding at a later stage.
Is there currently anything like that built into notion, or do I need to keep separate text documents (a real organizational pain and mess)

Question3
Regarding Custom Tuplets:
Once I grouped a selection of notes into a custom tuplet (great feature btw), there is seemingly no way to get rid of the custom tuplet and just restoring the notes as original groups.
Cannot find a way to edit out the tuplet function once created.

Question4
Possible bug: I can only select what is visible in a window or absolutely the entire score. More consistent behavior would be, if I move the cursor to the RHS screen boundary it should continue highlighting pages as they come into view. At the moment it remains to highlight only what is displayed. This is uncomfortable and not practical or do I misinterpret something ?

Question5
I sometimes get the message when I load a file, that "Two Erroneous Hairpin Packets" have been removed. What did I do to create "Hairpin Packets" and what is it ?
retnev

Re: CSRHall;Text;Tuplets;Copy;Hairpins

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:36 am

Question 1:
CSR Hall (from install DVD) seems to create a lot of trouble with Notion. If I install it, and use it, Notion starts playing erratically. Any update on a fix ?
I dont use it now and Notion works better.

I would imagine that there are two possible scenarios that are occuring here.

1. You are using CSR in the 64-bit version of the Notion software using J-Bridge to host the application that only runs in 32-bit mode.

2. You are using multiple inserts of CSR which will bog down your system performance as most Reverbs will. Try running CSR on the busses in the Notion mixer and running the instruments to the busses using the sends on each individual channel. Another option that can help with system performance is to increase the audio buffer size in the Notion preferences.

To do this go to:

Notion (File PC)>Preferences>Audio

At the bottom of the Audio Preferences window, you will see a slider that allows you to increase the Audio Buffer Size. Try increasing it incrementally to see just how much of a buffer you need.

Question2:
I need to keep a lot of Notes with my scores. As I used to do it manually it is easy to just add a document to the score explaining sections in the score. I cannot find any way in notion to add extensive notes to a specific page in a score. All the text functions is basically lyrical or titles or dedications that span all pages etc.. It would be nice if I could add a text page that is available as comments on pages of the score or text boxes at specific points.
During composition it is important to be able to document motivations for passages or how and why you arrived there for later use and overall understanding at a later stage.
Is there currently anything like that built into notion, or do I need to keep separate text documents (a real organizational pain and mess)

You can add Text by pressing the "k" button on your keyboard or by going to the palette and clicking Text in the palette item called "Text".

Question3
Regarding Custom Tuplets:
Once I grouped a selection of notes into a custom tuplet (great feature btw), there is seemingly no way to get rid of the custom tuplet and just restoring the notes as original groups.
Cannot find a way to edit out the tuplet function once created.

When you want to remove a tuplet, simply highlight the notes in which a tuplet is already indicated, right-click and go to Tuplets>Remove Tuplet.

Question4
Possible bug: I can only select what is visible in a window or absolutely the entire score. More consistent behavior would be, if I move the cursor to the RHS screen boundary it should continue highlighting pages as they come into view. At the moment it remains to highlight only what is displayed. This is uncomfortable and not practical or do I misinterpret something ?

To continue highlighting, select either the measure you would like to start from, or the last measure you would like to highlight, and then scroll the score to the measure you would like to highlight to. Press and hold "Shift" and then select the measure that you would like your selection to start or end upon. You can also select groups of staves that you would like to remove from or add to your selection by pressing and holding Command (CTRL PC) and clicking those staves that you would like to add or remove.

Question5
I sometimes get the message when I load a file, that "Two Erroneous Hairpin Packets" have been removed. What did I do to create "Hairpin Packets" and what is it ?[/quote]

Usually, an erroneous hairpin packet is a hairpin that was created that was not attached to any other object in the score. Hairpins need to be connected to either dynamic markings, or ending barlines. Usually, when this error is coming up, Notion is actually fixing the broken hairpins rather than removing them. All you have to do is click OK and carry on with your composing. If you find that there are hairpins that are being removed, reinsert them, making sure that they are attached to a barline or a dynamic marking. This will solve your issue. There is no need for concern here.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION