Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

pp to not affect payback

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: pp to not affect payback

Postby G-Sun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:02 am

wcreed51 wrote:Kontakt is the player; which library is the SATB?

Kontakt library, choir
G-Sun

Postby dcd111 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:45 pm

G-Sun wrote:When altering velocity on notes, does that override the dynamics-velocities?
And, what is default dynamics/velocity? mp? mf?

Yes, manually applied or overdubbed velocities take precedence over the dynamic markings (except for chord playback using rhythm slashes, but that doesn't apply to your situation).

I believe "mf" is the default when there are no dynamic markings applied to a score. With no custom rules applied, this works out to be a velocity of 90.

These are the dynamics applied by the default rules for generic VST's (like Kontakt) if you are not using custom rules:

<dynamic dynamic="pppp" value="5" />
<dynamic dynamic="ppp" value="30" />
<dynamic dynamic="pp" value="40" />
<dynamic dynamic="p" value="60" />
<dynamic dynamic="mp" value="80" />
<dynamic dynamic="mf" value="90" />
<dynamic dynamic="f" value="100" />
<dynamic dynamic="ff" value="110" />
<dynamic dynamic="fff" value="120" />
<dynamic dynamic="ffff" value="127" />

I'm not 100% clear on what you are actually trying to do. Do you just want to be able to manually override the velocity on a note-by-note basis so it doesn't always match the written dynamic, to allow finer control and/or unmarked accents? Or do you want to change what p, mp, mf, f, etc. mean in terms of the velocity they get translated into? Or do you want one constant velocity to be output for all notes regardless of marking (maybe to apply more humanized volume changes via DAW volume automation later)?
dcd111

Postby G-Sun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Thank you very much!

Now I better understand the velocity-handling in Notion. Excellent :)

(I just need control over my velocity for playback vs. dynamics markings, typical for sections and not individual notes)
G-Sun

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:12 pm

You could set all the dynamics to 90 if you want marks entered in the score to have no effect on playback...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby G-Sun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:59 am

wcreed51 wrote:You could set all the dynamics to 90 if you want marks entered in the score to have no effect on playback...

I'll be fine with pp+3 etc. and manual changes.
Now I have a better grasp of how this works. Thanks!
G-Sun

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

G-Sun wrote:Thank you.
Looks a little messy, but it sure helps.

Can I
- enter one note velocity for all selected notes?

What velocity is grey? 100?

And what are the level-steps for eg. p to pp ?

Looks a little messy, but it sure helps.

It's not that messy because you don't have to leave it up. This is the Notion solution to create the Notation to Piano roll hybrid. It is not necessarily the final solution.

Can I
- enter one note velocity for all selected notes?

To enter the same velocity by clearing the velocity in Tools>Clear Velocities. Then use the shortcuts to move up and down through velocities by increments of 1 [Shift + Option (Alt-PC)] or 10 Option and the Up/Down arrow keys.

It looks like gray equals 102. When I go up by 10 I get 112, and when I do down by 10 I get 92.

I just used MIDI monitor on an external MIDI staff and looked at the output to the MIDI monitor to determine the velocities that are being sent. Here they are:

pppp = 5
ppp = 30
pp = 40
p = 60
mp = 80
mf = 90
f = 100
ff = 110
fff = 120
ffff = 127

Of course, these are only setup to work for the Notion built in sounds. If you want to know what your VST's are doing, you will need to either do the same thing, or look at the rule files for that particular VST that you are using if you are using a preset, or look at your own custom rule files. They will tell you at the beginning of the list.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby G-Sun » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:42 am

Admin wrote:
To enter the same velocity by clearing the velocity in Tools>Clear Velocities. Then use the shortcuts to move up and down through velocities by increments of 1 [Shift + Option (Alt-PC)] or 10 Option and the Up/Down arrow keys.

It looks like gray equals 102. When I go up by 10 I get 112, and when I do down by 10 I get 92.

I just used MIDI monitor on an external MIDI staff and looked at the output to the MIDI monitor to determine the velocities that are being sent. Here they are:

pppp = 5
ppp = 30
pp = 40
p = 60
mp = 80
mf = 90
f = 100
ff = 110
fff = 120
ffff = 127

Of course, these are only setup to work for the Notion built in sounds. If you want to know what your VST's are doing, you will need to either do the same thing, or look at the rule files for that particular VST that you are using if you are using a preset, or look at your own custom rule files. They will tell you at the beginning of the list.

-Admin

Thank you very much for your helpful reply!
This is excellent info.
So, grey is 102 that equals f,
that means pp+4 is right then.
Well, knowing this, I'll find my way :)
G-Sun

Postby dcd111 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:59 am

As I understand it, gray just means that no manual velocity has been applied, and that the velocity will therefore be defined by the applied dynamic marking. It doesn't correspond with a particular velocity value or a particular dynamic marking.

The manual isn't always as detailed as I would like, but it actually explains the gray velocity bar pretty well on Page 3.15:

NOTION version 4.0 Help Guide wrote:You will notice that those bars may have different colors or they may just be grey. Grey bars take their dynamics and velocity information from the score. Colored bars represent custom or recorded velocity and override score dynamics in playback. The color of the bars can go from blue to red with blue being low in velocity and high being red.

Although it does start from the equivalent of 102 when you use the arrow keys to apply a manual velocity, gray doesn't mean "102" or "f". Gray means that since no manual velocity has been applied by the user, the velocity of this note will be processed by the applicable rules and dynamic markings in the score. Tweaks to the dynamic markings themselves will be processed by the rules using the tweaked marking, but this is not a velocity override, this is a dynamic override, and you'll see that the bar remains gray.

So, there's a hierarchy of what overrides what. With no dynamic marking and a gray velocity, the generic ruleset (assuming we're still talking about a generic VST like Kontakt) will apply "mf", which by default is 90. With a dynamic marking and a gray velocity, the generic ruleset will apply the dynamic marking, according to the velocity map I posted earlier. With a tweaked dynamic marking and a gray velocity, the generic ruleset will apply the tweaked dynamic marking to the velocity map. However, with any color other than gray, the manually adjusted or overdubbed velocity value will be applied directly and the dynamic markings and associated velocity map will be ignored.

The velocity interpretation process for generic VST's is what I identified earlier in the thread, with the Generic.prules velocity map I posted being applied (assuming you're not using a custom ruleset or a Notion built-in preset for supported plugins like Miroslav Philharmonik or VSL, which have their own default rulesets).

Also note that if you don't like the Alt+arrow method to adjust velocity, you can use Tools/Randomize Events from the top menu to apply a specific velocity to mass-selected notes. Just click Note Velocity and enter the same maximum and minimum velocity, and that value will be applied to all selected notes (the bars will change color accordingly if you are viewing the sequencer overlay).
dcd111

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:44 am

dcd111 wrote:As I understand it, gray just means that no manual velocity has been applied, and that the velocity will therefore be defined by the applied dynamic marking. It doesn't correspond with a particular velocity value or a particular dynamic marking.

That is correct dcd111. Gray is how to determine that no velocity has been assigned and that Dynamics using Expression will work on that section of notation. However, Notion's default dynamic is mf, and 102 is directly in that range.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby G-Sun » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:46 am

dcd111 wrote:Also note that if you don't like the Alt+arrow method to adjust velocity, you can use Tools/Randomize Events from the top menu to apply a specific velocity to mass-selected notes. Just click Note Velocity and enter the same maximum and minimum velocity, and that value will be applied to all selected notes (the bars will change color accordingly if you are viewing the sequencer overlay).

Thanks, that's a nice tip!

if default grey is 90 or 102.. well if admin checked the midi output, then I guess 102 is right.
But 90, as default mf seems more correct..
G-Sun

Previous

Return to NOTION