Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion Navigation and Shortcut Questions

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion Navigation and Shortcut Questions

Postby echo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi, I am new to notion and have some questions regarding navigation and shortcuts so that I don't have to use the mouse as much. I could not find answers to these questions in the shortcuts list or the help guide.

1. Is there a way to add most dynamics and other notation without using the mouse? Such as slurs and ties. Right now I have to bring up the slur tool and then click where I want it to go with the mouse. Is there a way to do this during step entry too?

2. With staccato, highlighting notes and pressing 1 will put a staccato on the notes. How do you delete the staccato if you put it on the wrong notes. Right now I have to click on the staccato and delete it. Is there a shortcut for this?

3. When using step entry, is there a way to move down to the next instrument staff without having to click it with the mouse?

4. Is there a shortcut to "select" a note? For example, if I want to change the pitch of a note, I have to click on it first so that it changes orange. In other programs you can just use the arrow keys to move around the score, but in notion you have to click on the note first??

5. Is there a way to navigate the score with the arrow keys as described above?

6. If you want to change 2 notes in a measure to be on separate voices, is there a way to select the note and make it voice 2 or do you have to delete one of them and re enter it in voice 2.

7. Is there a way to adjust the spacing of notes within measures?

Thanks this help will be greatly appreciated.
echo

Re: Notion Navigation and Shortcut Questions

Postby thorrild » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 am

Echo,

Here are some answers:

1. You have to use the mouse to indicate where dynamics and other elements go, but there are keyboard shortcuts for lots of them: most dynamics are available by pressing the F key (the forte department) or the P key (piano). Pressing each key more than once cycles through the various levels of loud or soft dynamics. Mezzoforte is Shift-F, mezzopiano is Shift-P. Slur is Shift-S. Tie is Shift-T... Check out the Shortcuts item on the Help menu; you may want to print out that sheet and keep it handy while you work.

2. Pressing the = key twice will delete all articulations on the selected note(s).

3. No.

4. Once you have selected a note (with the mouse), you can move to the next/previous note by pressing the right-arrow or left-arrow key.

5. See answer 4.

6. You have to delete and re-enter in layer 2.

7. Note spacing is automatic, but by forcing measures on or off a system you can adjust the overall spacing of a system in page view. Look in the user guide under Force New System, Force New Page and Link To Next Measure.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby echo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks,

Is there a way to enter ties or slurs while in note entry?

When you are in edit mode and you click in a measure, there is a highlighted yellow box where your cursor was clicked. How can you navigate the score with that? The arrow keys don't move it around. Is there a way to move note by note with that?

How do you replace a note with a note of a different value? For example replacing a quarter note with 2 eighth notes.

Thanks for your help
echo

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi echo,

I hope these answers help. Thanks for the questions.

1. Is there a way to add most dynamics and other notation without using the mouse? Such as slurs and ties. Right now I have to bring up the slur tool and then click where I want it to go with the mouse. Is there a way to do this during step entry too?

No, there is not a way to enter it without the mouse. You must bring up the tools and use them. You can use the shortcuts.

2. With staccato, highlighting notes and pressing 1 will put a staccato on the notes. How do you delete the staccato if you put it on the wrong notes. Right now I have to click on the staccato and delete it. Is there a shortcut for this?

Highlight the notes you would like to affect and press " = = ". (Equal sign twice). This will remove your articulations. There is also a menu for "Clear Special" in the Edit dropdown menu. This will allow you to remove many items in a selected region of your score.

3. When using step entry, is there a way to move down to the next instrument staff without having to click it with the mouse?

No. I have been asking for this for years. I am glad others are asking these questions too.

4. Is there a shortcut to "select" a note? For example, if I want to change the pitch of a note, I have to click on it first so that it changes orange. In other programs you can just use the arrow keys to move around the score, but in notion you have to click on the note first??

You have to click on the note first, but you can navigate through the staff using the arrow keys and move the notes up and down with the arrow keys. Also, if you hold shift, you can move by half steps, thus adding accidentals.

5. Is there a way to navigate the score with the arrow keys as described above?

No.

6. If you want to change 2 notes in a measure to be on separate voices, is there a way to select the note and make it voice 2 or do you have to delete one of them and re enter it in voice 2.

Use the same arrow tool method after selecting the Voice that you want to work in. To select the Voices use, Command (CTRL) + 1,2,3, or 4. If you want to move about in Voice 4, press Command + 4, and then click the note in Voice four that you want to affect. Then you can navigate using the arrow keys, just like you did in voice 1.

7. Is there a way to adjust the spacing of notes within measures?

You can play with the formatting section of Score>Full Score Options. But, manually changing the locations is not possible. The notes throughout the score are all lined up for playback. This may change in the future, but for now it is set.

Regards,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION