Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Measures per Line

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Measures per Line

Postby echo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi,

I am new to notion and cannot figure out how to set the number of measures per line. Isn't there a way to highlight 5 measures and line break them. I want to have control over how many measures I have on each page.

Thanks
echo

Re: Measures per Line

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:24 am

Dear echo,

To change the number of measure per line go to:

Score>Full Score Options
Go to Layout
Set the Measures Per System settings

Here is a picture to help you out:

Full Score Options.png
Full Score Options.png (58.95 KiB) Viewed 35507 times

Also, you can cause your score to Force a New System. The way to handle this is:

1. Double click the measure where you would like the new system to begin.
2. Right click anywhere on the score.
3. Highlight "Measure X"
4. Click "Force New System"

Force New System.png
Force New System.png (67.47 KiB) Viewed 35507 times

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby echo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Great. Thanks for the response.
echo

Postby echo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 pm

What if the first page of music, I want 4 measures per line, but the second page, I want 5 or even more. Currently there are 4, how do I take a measure from the third page and put it back on the second page?

Thanks
echo

Postby thorrild » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:08 am

The command is called Link To Next Measure. It is described in the User Guide on page 11.26.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby echo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Yes, but when I link to next measure it moves it forward a page. I want to move a measure back a page.
echo

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:18 pm

You have to start the Link to Next Measure process by selecting the entire measure previous to the one you are linking to. In my test case, the measure was pulled back to the previous page and caused the last staff on the page to have 5 bars instead of 4.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby echo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Ok, but how do you know if it is going to move the measure to the previous page or move it up one page. I click the last measure on the page (lets say measure #8) and when I link it to next measure it will go to the next page, but I want it to stay on the current page and bring measure #9 with it to the current page. Sometimes it does this and sometimes it sends the measure to the next page. What if I want 8 measures on a single page? If you keep clicking the last measure and linking it to the next measure they just move to the next page.
echo

Postby thorrild » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 am

Hi echo,

I think you just need to work with the "Link To Next" feature a little bit and figure out how useful it is. The more you play around with it, the better you get at controlling the layout of your scores.

But in a nutshell: if you have 8 bars on two systems and you want them all on one system, you perform the "Link To Next" operation on the first 7 bars: bar 1 is linked to bar 2, which in turn is linked to bar 3, which is linked to bar 4, and so on. Only bar 8 is not linked to the next bar.

I know it might be wonderful if you could just highlight a clump of bars and say "I want you all on one system" but this can accomplish the same thing; it's just not a one-step operation.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to NOTION