Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Windows 8 Touch tablet and Notion 4?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Windows 8 Touch tablet and Notion 4?

Postby elerouxx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Just an update. I got my new Dell Latitude 10 tablet. I had some issues at first, and got extremely alarmed by them, but with the help of Support I reverted to a previous release of Notion, which works perfectly with the pen.

Also, in this version, the touch is, In my opinion, better supported than in current release.
elerouxx

Postby ekral » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:31 am

Hi, I have briefly tried the Notion 4 with my new ASUS Transformer Book T100TA with the new bail trail processor and I am really excited about it.

But I have to confirm that I can not do:
- selection using SHIFT key,
- insert chord using ENTER key and
- tap and hold as an alternative to right click.

But I could do double tap to select bar and then use main menu commands. And generally, there is a lot of fun and great potential :). And what is the best advantage of the windows tablet is that I can use my VST instruments and effects, offcourse I am limited by CPU, but it is not so bad. I tried the XLN Addictive drums together with DiscoDSP Corona synth and CPU load was about 20%.
ekral

Postby elerouxx » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:31 pm

An earlier build of Notion works better (build 4.0.320). It allows to select and highlight parts of the score.
It has some little disadvantages when using touch to enter notes (the 'cursor' note stays on screen on the last spot you touched) but it's just an aesthetical issue.

There's also a little trick - if you drag your finger to the sides with the selection tool, you will be able to select - if you drag up or down you enter windows 'scroll' mode instead. Once you get used to it, in my opinion it's better than a PC, where there is no way to 'drag' the score around for navigation - while in the tablet you can scroll around and use pinch-zoom with 2 fingers. Sweet...
elerouxx

Postby ekral » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 pm

elerouxx wrote:There's also a little trick - if you drag your finger to the sides with the selection tool, you will be able to select - if you drag up or down you enter windows 'scroll' mode instead.

Could you please sent detailed steps :). I can not replicate it :(
ekral

Postby elerouxx » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:58 pm

ekral wrote:
elerouxx wrote:There's also a little trick - if you drag your finger to the sides with the selection tool, you will be able to select - if you drag up or down you enter windows 'scroll' mode instead.

Could you please sent detailed steps :). I can not replicate it :(

You need to use revision 4.0.320 or 4.0.325, not 4.0.329. Also, this is on a Windows 8.1 tablet, 32-bit. May differ in other systems.

To select, you need to touch and drag your finger to the left or the right of the score. You will enter selection mode. After this you can drag your finger around to highlight what do you want to select.

If you hold and drag up or down, you will just scroll the score up or down and you won't be able to select.

Two fingers always do scrolling in any direction, or pinch-zoom.
elerouxx

Postby rstravis » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi all, my first post here. After using Notion for iPad for awhile, I finally forked over the $100 to have it on my Windows tablet too (Dell Venue 11 Pro).

Overall it works well, although I am currently banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to re-order staves.

Still, that said, I'm beginning to like this more than the competitors I've used in the past. But there's one thing they need to fix in order for it to really be tablet-friendly. The piano keyboard, for entering notes, is just way too small. If I had a 20-some-inch touch screen with a desktop it might be fine. It's passable on my touch screen laptop. But it's all-but-useless on the tablet. The ability to zoom in on the keyboard would make this the first truly touch-friendly notation editor for Windows.

Aside from that, though, I do love using it. And having both Windows and iPad versions, I can pretty much accomplish anything I used to do with Finale or MuseScore. So yeah, a big thumbs-up to Notion in general. They are doing some good work.
rstravis

Postby elerouxx » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm

Hey!

My tablet is a Dell Latitude 10 - barely slow CPU but it works well. The tablet has an active digitizer (wacom pen) and I use it for the keyboard for instance. I don't have any hopes, nor would I request that the keyboard or fretboard had the right size for touch, because the Windows tablet is such a small target, but with the pen there's no problem.

I also use Notion in combination with a macro/gesture app called StrokesPlus. Maybe you don't like the name but it's really powerful, and I managed to create some gestures pretty much similar to handwritting notation. I use this combination since my notebook was an old tablet PC (HP TC4400). You can watch the video here (very bad video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAikQD-Jyg&feature=youtu.be

I used to see a future on this. Actually, even with the notation limitations I face to do my work, I put a great effort in joining these two apps and my tablet+pen+gestures platform is pretty close to my composing notepad- dream interface. But I reckon it drew little interest from other users or developers, so it's kind of something I kept to myself.

Oh yes, to reorder staves you only have to go to Edit score settings and drag the staves around. You will figure out soon how it works - you have to drag the staff untill you see some visual feedback that you can drop the staff in its new location.
elerouxx

Previous

Return to NOTION