Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Best sound library for String Quartet?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Best sound library for String Quartet?

Postby carstenschnell » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 am

In my opinion there is no "best Library" but there is a very well sounding Library which is rather cheap.

look for the Xsamples Library which is also provided by soundsondemand for download.

greetinxxx

Carsten
carstenschnell

Postby Tatsu Nagao » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:52 am

wcreed51 wrote:And hopefully the tutorial on creating our own instrument rules/pre-sets will be posted soon!

+1
I have been looking forward to read the tutorial since NOTION3's release. If it makes true, I'll be able to write pre-sets for the libraries of X-Samples, Kirk Hunter, Bela D Media, Sample Modeling......
Tatsu Nagao

Postby fabiolcati » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:27 am

@ Cartsen and Tatsu.

Guessing you're XSample users, I'm interested in Xsample Chamber Ensemble too, more as they offer it 50% off until the end of this year.

What's your advice about this library, and what about using it with N3?

Best regards
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Tatsu Nagao » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Fabio,

IMHO, XSample sounds natural without much tweaking. XCE and notation softwares get along with each other. It has great variety of articulations. I feel its sound quality may lack depth a little compared with some recent libraries.
At present, N3 doesn't have a VST pre-set for XCE, so we have to use a hidden staff in order to make articulation changes (by entering keyswitches). And I can't make legato (by editing CC#68) with a N3's sequencer staff.
Tatsu Nagao

Postby posssu » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, actually LASS is really good in the solo-string-department too. Although it currently doesn't yet have more special (for a sound library) articulations, it does what it does really well. Listen to the demos on their site (audiobro.com).

Also, LASS isn't completely dry, there's a bit "stage air" in the samples, so if you need completely dry strings, then they aren't maybe for you, but if you write string quartet music, a bit of air is usually just a good thing. And I'm really talking about air, not a really long tail, so it's really not always even a problem, even if you need drier strings!

Check it out!
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby Mister HU » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 am

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience moving from Notion 2 to Notion 3: I converted a Notion 2 score with solo viola to Notion 3, but the N3 viola sounded pretty poor - pitch was very off on some notes. So I reverted that particular score part to the Notion 2 sound library.

Comments, anyone?
Mister HU

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:53 am

Tatsu Nagao wrote:Fabio,

IMHO, XSample sounds natural without much tweaking. XCE and notation softwares get along with each other. It has great variety of articulations.
At present, N3 doesn't have a VST pre-set for XCE, so we have to use a hidden staff in order to make articulation changes (by entering keyswitches). And I can't make legato (by editing CC#68) with a N3's sequencer staff.

Hi Tatsu,
thank you for your reply and your advice.
I will take care of it at shopping time.
Just, I'm afraid into gettin' in touch with keyswtches... a land that's totally unknown to me!
I feel its sound quality may lack depth a little compared with some recent libraries.

What kind of recent libraries are you talking about?
Greetings
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby Tatsu Nagao » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Fabio,

Keyswitches are notes in the score or keys on the MIDI keyboard such as C1,D1,E1. After you press the keyswitch, articulation will be changed from arco to pizz, for example.

fabiolcati wrote:What kind of recent libraries are you talking about?

Sorry, but I want to restrain myself from saying the concrete names because sometimes it could bring about a quarrel. :)
Tatsu Nagao

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Tatsu.

Tatsu Nagao wrote:Sorry, but I want to restrain myself from saying the concrete names because sometimes it could bring about a quarrel. :)

Oh, no! Not this!

Thank you for the tiny tutorial. When I'll be on a keyswitched-library maybe I'll ask for more :)

Greetings
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby arb58 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Not sure if this will help you out (maybe not what you are looking for), http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php ... tid=EW-196

I just got the Gold and another couple of items :)

You need to be quick though as it expires at midnight tonight.

P.S. Hope it is okay to post links to special offers? If not please remove and I apologize.
arb58

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION