Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Slur Rules and GPO

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Slur Rules and GPO

Postby DrH » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:55 pm

1. I have taken a look at the GPO_Aria rules file and noticed that there are slur rules for strings (solo and ensemble) but not for any other instrument.

2. Why is the CC# used in GPO_Aria slur rules set to 64 when GPO uses 68 to evoke slurs?

3. Why doesn't a slur still not work when I change CC# used in GPO_Aria slur rules set to 68?

4. In short, is there a bug in the proper use of slurs with GPO instruments in any situation?

Thnx!

DrH

P.S. Is a rules file editor coming soon?
DrH

Re: Slur Rules and GPO

Postby snorlax » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:26 am

DrH wrote:1. I have taken a look at the GPO_Aria rules file and noticed that there are slur rules for strings (solo and ensemble) but not for any other instrument.

2. Why is the CC# used in GPO_Aria slur rules set to 64 when GPO uses 68 to evoke slurs?

3. Why doesn't a slur still not work when I change CC# used in GPO_Aria slur rules set to 68?

4. In short, is there a bug in the proper use of slurs with GPO instruments in any situation?

Thnx!

DrH

P.S. Is a rules file editor coming soon?

Hi...
I just snooped--the .pdef files appear to be XML, so an XML editor should work.

As to controllers...you have perhaps some incomplete information.
GPO ARIA (or Kontakt, for that matter) uses CC64 for legato in the "REGULAR" instruments.
CC68 is used for legato with the "notation" instruments only.
Notation instruments have N- in front of the name, as in N-Euphonium or some such.
So if the rules file establishes CC64 as legato, do NOT use the "notation" instruments.

Of course, all this ignores "Auto Legato" in ARIA. :D

Best strategy is to ignore the notation instruments and Auto-Legato in GPO ARIA. Use the regular GPO instruments and let NOTION handle the legato.

As long as I'm here, is it just me or is it irritating to post a reply?--I can't see the line I am writing (it's below the window's edge) and the window is making me seasick from all the jumping around.

Hope this info helps you.

Jim W.
snorlax

Postby DrH » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:54 pm

snorlax wrote:I just snooped--the .pdef files appear to be XML, so an XML editor should work.

GPO ARIA (or Kontakt, for that matter) uses CC64 for legato in the "REGULAR" instruments.
CC68 is used for legato with the "notation" instruments only.

I, too, discovered the hidden XML underpinnings but run into errors in GOP_Aria file when trying to open it with Windows 2007 XML editor.

As for CC64 as the legato trigger for non-notational configurations, I do remember that tidbit, but I still do not get a legato playback effect when I load a "regular" sound into a K2 Player VST (which I have to do because I use JABB instruments which have to be converted for use with ARIA). I will try again, however, try again just to make sure.

Thanks for your insights,

DrH

I think I recognize your handle from the Overture forum. Have you pretty much given up on Overture? Me, I basically to that point. :-)
DrH

Postby pcartwright » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 pm

snorlax wrote:Best strategy is to ignore the notation instruments and Auto-Legato in GPO ARIA. Use the regular GPO instruments and let NOTION handle the legato.

For some reason, ARIA isn't responding to the auto legato feature when used in Notion3. Has anyone else experienced this issue and/or know a good work around?
pcartwright

Postby snorlax » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:19 pm

pcartwright wrote:
snorlax wrote:Best strategy is to ignore the notation instruments and Auto-Legato in GPO ARIA. Use the regular GPO instruments and let NOTION handle the legato.

For some reason, ARIA isn't responding to the auto legato feature when used in Notion3. Has anyone else experienced this issue and/or know a good work around?

There is one fact you must know: for CC103 auto-legato to work, NOTES MUST OVERLAP by at least one tick. If they don't overlap, CC103 auto-legato will not engage. So look and see that the notes you want to slur are overlapping.

Beyond that, I will look when my schedule permits. Right now it's coming up on final exam week at my college & I am knee-deep in grading of student projects and fielding excuses. The last-minute pledges of eternal vigilance are particularly heart-rending. :D

Jim W.
snorlax

Postby pcartwright » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 pm

snorlax wrote:There is one fact you must know: for CC103 auto-legato to work, NOTES MUST OVERLAP by at least one tick. If they don't overlap, CC103 auto-legato will not engage. So look and see that the notes you want to slur are overlapping.

Thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if there is a way to make already existing notes in Notion overlap?

My guess would be to either manually extend the notes out in sequencer view or perhaps tweak a slur setting, but I haven't been able to find a way to do either. I can't find any sort of way to go back to sequencer view after the staff has been converted to notation or any sort of settings for note length, position, etc.

Sorry for being such a noob.
pcartwright

Postby snorlax » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:05 pm

pcartwright wrote:
snorlax wrote:There is one fact you must know: for CC103 auto-legato to work, NOTES MUST OVERLAP by at least one tick. If they don't overlap, CC103 auto-legato will not engage. So look and see that the notes you want to slur are overlapping.

Thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if there is a way to make already existing notes in Notion overlap?

My guess would be to either manually extend the notes out in sequencer view or perhaps tweak a slur setting, but I haven't been able to find a way to do either. I can't find any sort of way to go back to sequencer view after the staff has been converted to notation or any sort of settings for note length, position, etc.

Sorry for being such a noob.

Not to worry. In fact, I am a Notion Noob :D As soon as I get over finals, I will sort that out.

But if you need immediate results, you might heed my advice above & use regular GPO4 instruments (NOT the notation set) and CC64 legato, and let Notion sort the slurs out. I know that works! :D

Jim W.
snorlax

Postby pcartwright » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 pm

snorlax wrote:But if you need immediate results, you might heed my advice above & use regular GPO4 instruments (NOT the notation set) and CC64 legato, and let Notion sort the slurs out. I know that works! :D

Hmmm...I haven't gotten that to work either. You're not adding pedal marks are you? I've tried the standard files with slurs, and they sound pretty detache. I may try adding pedal marks and seeing how that works out for a quick fix.
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:37 am

I stand corrected. Once I installed the software from the disk (I had the demo prior), everything started working exactly as it should. I'm not sure if that was intentional with the demo, but everything is working now.
pcartwright

Postby snorlax » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:05 pm

pcartwright wrote:I stand corrected. Once I installed the software from the disk (I had the demo prior), everything started working exactly as it should. I'm not sure if that was intentional with the demo, but everything is working now.

Excellent. I couldn't duplicate the error.
One more thing I can cross off my to-do list!! :D

Jim Williams
TAFKAS
The Artist Formerly Known as Snorlax
snorlax

Next

Return to NOTION