Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Slur Rules and GPO

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Slur Rules and GPO

Postby pcartwright » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:48 am

Well... I'm experiencing the issue again. However, the legato is working on the GPO strings, but it's not working on woodwinds or brass instruments. Is anyone else having this issue?
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:14 am

I just realized that this was the issue that started the post.

So then, has anyone had any luck adjusting/editing the rules files?
pcartwright

Postby fandango » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:23 am

pcartwright wrote:Well... I'm experiencing the issue again. However, the legato is working on the GPO strings, but it's not working on woodwinds or brass instruments. Is anyone else having this issue?

Yep, same issue here.

n-Violin Plr 1 = legato NO
Violin Plr 1 = legato YES
n-SAM French Horn Plr 1 = legato NO
SAM French Horn Plr 1 = legato NO

Seems only the non-notation preset GPO strings obey the slur settings.
fandango

Postby fandango » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:51 am

Has anyone logged this as a bug yet?
fandango

Postby pcartwright » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 pm

I did a month or so ago... though I haven't received any update yet (clearly the issue is still present). Others may want to submit the bug so that the issue gets expedited.

Anyway, I have been tweaking the GPO rules file with some success to add the legato feature as well as change how some articulations are interpreted in GPO. I think GPO can handle a lot of other articulations (i.e. articulations that aren't necessarily defined in standard keyswitches) with proper adjustments to the length, porta, and other “hidden” CC variants included in GPO (especially in the stringed instruments).

If anyone would like to assist me in this endeavor, it would be much appreciated by me (and ultimately other GPO users).
pcartwright

Postby fandango » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 am

Sorry to bump this after such a long time, but it seems to me that GPO is still not doing legato in Notion for Woodwinds, etc.

If I do a measure of melody and then a measure of the same melody with a 'slur', they both sound identical and 'detached'. :?:
fandango

Postby pcartwright » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 am

Try replacing the slur rules (in the prules file for GPO) with this:

<rule>
<!-- legato-->
<if condition="under-slur" />
<cc type="note-off-prefix" controller="64" value="127" />
<duration-change amount="1.02" />
</rule>
<rule>
<!-- not legato-->
<if not-condition="under-slur" />
<cc type="note-on-prefix" controller="64" value="0" />
<duration-change amount="1" />
</rule>

I use controller 64 because I switched my instrument defaults to "standard" instead of "notation" in the ARIA player. You'll need to use a different controller for instruments using the "notation" samples, but I don't remember which controller exactly.

You don't have to include the duration change lines; I adjusted the duration to added a little extra legato to the sound (alternatively, you could leave the legato duration to one and reduce the detache duration or leave both at one).
pcartwright

Postby fandango » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 am

Hiya, thanks for that!

Do the changes have to be made for every slur in the file? (they only seem to refer to strings? there's no global slur reference in the original prules?)

Also, how did you switch to the standard instruments? I'd like to do the same.

(sorry for all the questions, I just wish this worked out-of-the-box! )
fandango

Postby pcartwright » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 am

fandango wrote:Hiya, thanks for that!

Do the changes have to be made for every slur in the file? (they only seem to refer to strings? there's no global slur reference in the original prules?)

Also, how did you switch to the standard instruments? I'd like to do the same.

(sorry for all the questions, I just wish this worked out-of-the-box! )

You should go through the custom rule documentation (found in the download section). I don’t remember how the original GPO rules are laid out (I’ve tweaked mine hundreds of times since getting Notion). There are lines of code you can use to customize how a slur is treated with each instrument with an instrument-id condition, but I would strongly urge you to look at the custom rules docs first.

As far as changing to standard instruments, you’ll find the instrument templates in a folder with the GPO rules (at least that’s the case in Windows, I’m not sure how it’s organized in the mac version). Open those flies and you should see a single staff with a loaded instrument. Open the Aria interface; change to standard notation and save the file (I would also strongly recommend making a backup of your instrument templates and your rules files). Don’t do “save as” in the instrument templates (save as doesn’t seem to work), just save over the previous file.

For rules files, I would copy the rules into a new text document (or text editor of your choice) to make adjustments. Keep both files while working on your custom rules (again, back up your default rules file). Once you’re done with your tweaking, copy your custom rules file to the GPO folder and test it out. You have to reload instruments for new rules and templates to take effect (it appears that Notion’s save state includes rules in which the instrument was loaded as well as the sample used).

In terms of working out of the box, I think GPO works pretty well with Notion3 from the get go. Part of the “issue” is that GPO is meant to have a lot of user control through CC, keyswitches, and playing techniques that’s unlike other sample libraries (in short, GPO was designed for live performance as much as it was designed for in the box composition). For example, I really can’t use (at least not efficiently) percussion instruments because a lot of different percussion instruments are included in one patch (which makes isolating them in notation form [each to its own staff] a bit difficult).
pcartwright

Previous

Return to NOTION