Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

No Slashes

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

No Slashes

Postby SamGarnerStudios » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm unbelievably disappointed in this missing feature. Why would you even bother creating jazz chords or give us the jazz font if there are no slash notations. Huge oversight. It's not a matter of "Oh this feature would be nice to have." It's an absolute must feature. Any news on when this feature will be implemented?
SamGarnerStudios

Re: No Slashes

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:13 pm

The slash feature exists.

Select the notation that you would like to convert to slashes. Right-Click. Go to Notes>Show Rhythm as Slash.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby SamGarnerStudios » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks for the response. Slashes with stems are not what I'm talking about unfortunately. Just about every jazz chart in the world has some form of stemless slashes, it indicates comping chords or improvising.
SamGarnerStudios

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Dear SamGarnerStudios,

In the past, Notion has been very focused on playback of scores that are written in the software. Since this is not a playback feature, as Notion does not know how to improvise, this feature did not make it in. However, we are now spending more time on getting to some of the more print worthy aspects of notation.

I will submit a feature request for this feature.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dcd111 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am

Admin wrote:...
I will submit a feature request for this feature.

-Admin

Thank you, I would also like to see this notation feature.

Interesting that this issue has come up in at least three other threads recently, but I don't think it was mentioned much as an issue in the past. I'm including a link to this one http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3715&p=14407&hilit=slash#p14407 because it includes an example of how it looks in another program, and some thoughts on how it might be implemented from a user-interface standpoint.

I think the most sensible approach would be to make these slashes an alternate symbol for a quarter note rest. That way it won't require special handling by the software to ignore it during playback, it would fit into the meter of the composition, it wouldn't need to be adjusted by the user to be centered correctly on the staff, and it would automatically fit the rules of slash notation (which require one slash per beat).
dcd111

Postby carneyweb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:28 am

YES! This is exactly how it should behave.
carneyweb

Postby SamGarnerStudios » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Yes, thanks admin for putting in a request. I definitely get Notion's focus on playback, hence why it's better at it then any other notation software. But, I know many composers who also have come to love Notions simplicity, making composing much easier. I would love to see a focus on implementing a couple features here and there that really add to the power of Notion's notation side.

Thanks!
SamGarnerStudios

Postby elerouxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Admin wrote:Dear SamGarnerStudios,

... However, we are now spending more time on getting to some of the more print worthy aspects of notation...

-Admin

Party!!!!
elerouxx

Postby jazzmaestro88 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:19 am

Any updates on this?

I bought Notion for my iPad yesterday, to use on a flight. I normally use Sibelius, but the compact form factor of the tablet is exciting to me. I create charts for high profile projects, and intend to finish formatting in Sibelius using the MusicXML export feature. Not having slashes is a MAJOR hurdle. My team must be able to differentiate between rhythmic slashes and comping slashes. I don't want to rate the software on the App Store until this flaw is addressed. Documentation detailing MusicXML attribution (on which I am admittedly not an expert) is at: http://www.musicxml.com/for-developers/ ... ical-index

Thank you!
jazzmaestro88

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:17 am

Here is a screen shot of what is coming soon…

Rhythm Slashes.png
Rhythm Slashes.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 10309 times

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION