Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

multi-voice real time recording

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

multi-voice real time recording

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:02 pm

I am writing for piano, I record the top part by selecting a split-point at C, then the bass with a split-point at C5.
I still don't understand how to record more than 2 voices. I tried to click 'multi-voice' and then record but the new part still gets in one of the other parts so it creates a mess. How do I record more than 2 voices one at a time in real time?
composerwithnotion3

Re: multi-voice real time recording

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:31 am

I think I am missing some information here in regards to your split points. For Bass Clef you are setting to C5, so I am guessing for Treble Clef you are setting to C3. If this is correct I am going to answer based on this information.

1. As a help to see how voices are being recorded into Notion, you can toggle Voice Colors on and off using the shortcut, "SHIFT + Command (CTRL) + V". The voice colors are as follows:

V1 = Black
V2 = Purple
V3 = Pink
V4 = Green

2. When you are real-time recording into the Treble staff and you want to be sure that all input goes into the Treble staff, set the Split point to one note below the lowest note you are going to play. Nothing will go into the Bass Clef unless you cross that point.

3. Make sure you are placing the cursor on the correct staff, whether Treble or Bass Clef before you start recording.

4. Make sure your Input Device is set to Keyboard in the MIDI Record Dialogue box.

When I follow this method, I do not get any crossover to the wrong staff. I can see when Notion changes to the different voices by looking at the Voice colors. I am not a pianist, but I played some random note mess into the score. Here is a picture of what I got in the Treble Clef. You can see that 3 voices were recorded and nothing went into the bass clef.

Random Multi Voice.png
Random Multi Voice.png (20.6 KiB) Viewed 4321 times

After that, I went to the bass clef to test and see if there was any input going into the treble clef after setting split point, and to see if there were multiple voices being recorded. This is my bass clef random output.

Bass Clef.png
Bass Clef.png (37.49 KiB) Viewed 4321 times

Here are the settings in the Record Dialogue that I am using for this test:

Settings.png
Settings.png (38.83 KiB) Viewed 4321 times

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 am

thank you so much for the detailed help, you have no idea how much I appreciate that. I will go through the info and see what happens. Cheers :D
composerwithnotion3

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 am

I think that what I want to do is actually much simpler, i.e. as a pianist learning to arrange for piano, for now, I just compose in two parts, one for the treble clef and one for the bass. Must I use different voice colours to do that? If I'd record more than 2 parts, I'd just use additional instruments with their own clefs. So my guess is that I don't really need to use voice colours for now, am I right? thanks
composerwithnotion3

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Voice colors is only a visual aid that will help you in editing. You can toggle it on and off. It is not going to effect the recording process. So no, you do not have to use it.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION