Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Grace symbol

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Grace symbol

Postby erikbosio » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 am

Hy everyone, I'm Italian, so I don't really know the English name for it, but do you happen to know where I can find this symbol on Notion 4? I can't seem to find it...
Thank you!
Attachments
foto notion.jpg
foto notion.jpg (457.99 KiB) Viewed 10189 times
erikbosio

Re: Grace symbol

Postby thorrild » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:32 am

Hi erikbosio,

The English term for this ornament is a "turn."

The turn is not included among Notion's ornaments, perhaps because there would be no playback of it -- I don't know. But you can enter it into your score as an ordinary text block. Just set the font of the text to a music font containing this symbol. (Text blocks are entered by pressing K, then clicking above the note where you want the text.)

In the picture below, I changed the text font to Maestro 12pt, a font used by the Finale program. If you want the symbol to appear between two notes, then insert a few spaces before it in the text block.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
turn.tiff
turn.tiff (8.79 KiB) Viewed 10177 times
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby dcd111 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:35 am

I believe entering ' and then "ontn" will apply the turn symbol being discussed.

I don't know if it affects playback, or if it can be checked as a technique in a custom rule, I haven't been able to experiment with it. But entering apostrophe codes from the various ornaments identified in the ExpressionList file revealed this one.

For other ornaments, you can try ' and ontr, onmd, ondm, ontm, ontt, onta, ontb, onat, onbt.
dcd111

Postby thorrild » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:24 am

Hi dcd111,

Thanks for digging up these extra hidden ornaments. I have just entered each of them in a test file, and unfortunately they are not hooked up for playback. Nice to know, though, that there may be future provisions for this, as the inclusion of these ornaments, and their playback, have come up with some frequency in this forum.

Perhaps if the Admin has a moment, he/she could provide some info on how these ornaments may be included in a custom rule set, so they can be used, at least, with third-party sounds? (Or is this obvious? — I am not proficient in rule writing...)

I am including below a screen shot of all the ornaments you mentioned, with the four-letter code for each below.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
Ornaments.tiff
Ornaments.tiff (15.96 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby dcd111 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:13 am

I have not tested these specifically yet, but based on similar items in the ExpressionList that I have used in custom rules, am fairly sure these should be triggered by a rule such as this:

<if technique="xxxx" /> <!-- where xxxx is the four-letter code for the ornament such as "ontn"-->
dcd111

Postby thorrild » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:54 pm

dcd111 wrote:I have not tested these specifically yet, but based on similar items in the ExpressionList that I have used in custom rules, am fairly sure these should be triggered by a rule such as this:

<if technique="xxxx" /> <!-- where xxxx is the four-letter code for the ornament such as "ontn"-->

dcd111,

I have tested the ornaments for playback with Notion's own sound set, and they are not hooked up. I have submitted a feature request, hoping that this can be added at some point in the future. For now, it's nice to know that you can at least have them appear in your score without fiddling around with text blocks and other people's music fonts. Since these four-letter codes are difficult to remember, I've printed out my own screenshot of them all and keep the sheet as a reference with some other Notion papers.

I have tested the ornaments with GPO and Miroslav, and there is no playback with those libraries either. This may be where pcartwright comes in... ;)

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby dcd111 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 am

Although the playback of Notion sounds may not be affected by this symbol, I have confirmed that technique="ontn" can be triggered by a Custom rule for notes with the turn symbol applied.

The problem is that you can't generate a series of notes to replace one note in the custom rules. So this would only be useful for instruments that have a keyswitch for a particular ornament that will play the appropriate series of notes automatically. I don't think Miroslav has that type of "articulation" available, but some other libraries might (Era Medieval Legends has some mordents available for certain instruments via keyswitch, for example).

Or, instruments that allow scripting, such as Kontakt-based instruments, might be capable of being programmed to play a turn or similar ornament. The Custom rule in Notion could generate a keyswitch, and then a script would have to be written to recognize that keyswitch and generate the appropriate series of notes. This will be difficult because you can't really output the duration of the note to the script using Notion custom rules (you can check a range of durations in the rules, but that's not well-suited to this purpose), so it may not be possible for the script to 'know" when to cut the original played note short and for what duration to play the additional notes.
dcd111

Postby fzd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:54 am

dcd111 wrote:I have not tested these specifically yet, but based on similar items in the ExpressionList that I have used in custom rules, am fairly sure these should be triggered by a rule such as this:

Thank you to everyone, it responds to my expectations !
Solo, Orchestral & Chamber Strings complete, Dimension Strings, Full instruments
EWQLSO & Choirs
2 x Mac Mavericks, RAM : 32 GB & 16 GB
Notion 4

http://www.francois-zawadzki-delissen.com
fzd

Return to NOTION