Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

cresc for piano score is not audible

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

cresc for piano score is not audible

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 am

why do I hear a change in volume when I notate with the hairpin but I hear no difference when I notate with cresc ? and can you tweak any or both ?
composerwithnotion3

Re: cresc for piano score is not audible

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:26 pm

You should. I have set up this example and in the example, I have used "cresc." in two ways.

cresc test.notion
(46.6 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

cresc test.wav
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 272 times

1. The first crescendo works from <em>p</em> to <em>ff</em>. I done this by attaching the start of the "cresc." to the <em>p</em> and the end of the "cresc." to the <em>ff</em>. In this case, I can hear both a volume change and an articulation change.

2. The second "cresc." is open starting from a dynamic start point of <em>p</em>, but not attached, and over the time that it lasts, it increases in volume, but drops back to <em>p</em> after the duration of the "cresc.".

The first is more controlled and does not rely on a random curve based on the amount of time that passes. You get more control that way rather than in the second example.

I am guessing that you have one of two possible problems happening.

1. There are velocities set on the notes. If velocities have been mapped, dynamics have been overrided. Press the TAB key on your ASCII Keyboard to see if there are velocities on your notes. If there are, there will be colored Sequencer Overlay lines on each note. If they have not been written, the Sequencer Overlay will appear gray.

2.You have not extended the dashes for the "cresc.", but instead, you have just inserted it into the score not specifying any duration. It should look like this: cresc._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _| up to the place where you have ended the "cresc.

I have attached my .notion file for you to test with, and an audio file that displays the playback that I am getting from this test file.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:59 pm

excellent, it's all working great now. I really like the way I can now control the curve of the cresc and dim....Thanks for the really helpful reply. Cheers
composerwithnotion3

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 am

I am also learning how to use the velocity overdub feature....looks like a really impressive feature as I find it very hard to get the right dynamics with a sampled piano compared to the real thing
composerwithnotion3

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 am

Great!

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION