Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

EWQLSO and Notion 4

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: EWQLSO and Notion 4

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 am

Ben,

What I am saying is that we can get the rules to work.

Here is what you have to understand:

Getting rules to work and setting up presets are two different matters. I can set up a set of rules for EWQL to my local machine and get them to work very well. But, presets are a different story. A preset has to be set up to work for everyone in a release. The problem is that EWQL changed the way that Play hosts directories after we had set up the presets a few years ago, which confused our presets and why they load strangely.

The issue has been resolved in some respects, but the updated presets have to be made. There will be EWQL support in the future.

As far as playback of your patches, I always recommend loading the Master Keyswitch. You will get all of the patches to play. But, I am noticing something in your understanding that needs to be clarified about EWQL. That is, you say, once the rules are done once, then you don't have to write them again. Which is true, but, for East West, that is not so easy.

Each instrument in East West loads with its own designated Key Switch presets in Play. These are not very adjustable. They can be adjusted slightly, but it is fairly difficult to do, in the sense that you have to use the transpose range functions to get it to happen. You can't just tell Play to set key switches to a particular range. The reason that this translates into difficulty is that this means you have to set up a rule for each instrument. (This is why the presets were done in the way that they originally were.) We set up our own Play Patch Presets. (How is that for alliteration?)

Because we had to set up our own presets, Play lost the ability to find these patches when their directory engine was changed, thus hosing our presets ability to load properly. Now, we are adding the ability to Notion where a rule can be written for an individual instrument. That should be out in the next update of Notion 4. In the past, we have only had the ability to write rules based on a single plugin id. That causes an issue with play because if the plugin id is referenced, then the rule for 18 Violins keyswitches in Play is going to also try to trigger the same Key switch rule in 6 Double Basses, which is actually a pitch in Play rather than a keyswitch. So instrument based rules are the way to go with Play Presets.

As you can see it is sort of a Catch 22 and I really understand the heartache that EWQL users have. The sounds are so great, but the interface is very difficult to work with in a multichannel setup.

These are some of the reasons that we have lost advertised support of EWQL in Notion. EWQL is available in Notion and users can set it up for themselves currently as Notion contains VST support, but the presets are all but broken. We are working on bringing it back. We have been in contact with them recently and work has begun on getting new presets for Notion. There is currently no release date set and no promise for when this may happen. So try out custom rules. Get them set up or try using the keyswitches. If you know how to use the Step-Entry mode of Notion, you can get the key-switches in very quickly. I find that it does not hinder my creative process when I am using the Key-Switch method, except in the beginning when I am trying to learn what the Key Switches are. However, the score does get a little muddled and it is not the ideal way to work, which is why we are trying to bring EWQL back into the Notion world.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm

I still remember how shocked I was upon getting EWQLO and seeing how inconsistent the Keyswitches were. Even similar instruments like flute and oboe have a different layout. Seems immensely unprofessional, and such a contrast to VSL!
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby GaryExo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Yes, Bill's right. They're all over the place. I've been exploring the keyswitches and experimenting with EWQLSO in Ableton Live but EW's implementation of them is, frankly, a mess.
GaryExo

Postby ben amato » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:47 am

Ok thanks very much for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it.
You are right, probably the best option is to use keyswitches in the meantime.
Yes the EWQL sounds are great, and I'm not going to spend on VSL right now. What a pity they make it hard for us!
So I'll hang in there until the updates, thanks for great support it makes a world of difference.
Ben
ben amato

Postby babaorum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 pm

good news, are EWQLSO Gold concerned by the redefinition or just Platinum ?
babaorum

Postby wizstudios » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm

So I've been working with Brian at Notion and they basically are saying that since PLAY has been reworked, their software does not find the EWQLSO samples when the VSTi is loaded as we all basically know by now. They do, however, say I can navigate to the samples from the error message, or from score set up. For me this is not true: I navigate to the sample I'm told cannot be found but when I click on it, the 'choose' button is greyed out. If I load a full orchestral template and click on the folders of missing articulations, some load, some don't. Woods are only half there, for instance, which, when I was on the phone with Brian, he admitted was weird. He suggested I post here in case anyone had any ideas. I would be happy to take the time to set up a template but I can't get the instruments I need loaded. Miroslav and Garritan work fine but don't sound as good to my ears and I'd like to use my premiere orchestral library. Any ideas before I open at ticket with the happy, happy folks at EW support?
wizstudios

Postby ben amato » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:49 pm

lol, good luck , i've heard many miserable tales about EW support. I'm still exploring these issues, will let you know if anything occurs to me.
ben amato

Postby ben amato » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm

for me, the samples are loading but do not get triggered as they should. You have a Play issue, I've heard of many unfortunate folk that struggle as you are.
One thing is nagging me about the Admin post above: what is it that makes someone's custom rules unique to that local machine, and not work on any machine with EWQLSO? I'm probably missing something obvious.
Apart from that I understand the issues and will use keyswitches for now.
ben amato

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 pm

ben amato wrote:One thing is nagging me about the Admin post above: what is it that makes someone's custom rules unique to that local machine, and not work on any machine with EWQLSO? I'm probably missing something obvious.
Apart from that I understand the issues and will use keyswitches for now.

Nothing holds you back from sharing Rules files. Just place other users documents into the Rules folder. As long as the score is saved in the same location as the Rules folder, you can use whoever's Rules you would like. Your rules document has to be a text document with the extension ".prules".

Share away. If people have really good ones, let me know. I would love to hear them.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ben amato » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:18 am

A question...
I want to set up a workflow where all my Play plugins are located in my DAW, so I'll be using staffs set to use the external midi (IAC ) ports.
Can you advise me on this... can I set up EWQLSO rules that apply to these staves?
thanks
Ben
ben amato

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION