Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

LSO vs Miroslav in Notion

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

LSO vs Miroslav in Notion

Postby bcarwell » Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 am

I'm just curious- why were the LSO sounds in Notion4 substituted for the Miroslav sounds in Notion SLE ?

And what is your take on the comparative relative merits of each ? Do they have about the same articulations,
instruments, is one set drier, easier to use re keyswitching etc., etc. ?

I have the full Miroslav, and Notion SLE and just got Notion4 but have not played with either much yet. I assume
I will be able to get Miroslav to play in Notion4 as a VSTi plugin (I'm aware of the post on needing 32 bit mode,
or using JBridge, etc.) but was just wondering how the LSO is and how much gain would be had from using
Miroslav in Notion4.

Thanks for any input to this Newb.
bcarwell

Re: LSO vs Miroslav in Notion

Postby wcreed51 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 am

LSO is the standard sound set for Notion. The SLE products are reduced versions, for sound libraries that YOU supply. It's not a matter of substitution.

I don't have MP, so can't comment on comparison. You'll have to decide that for yourself. The LSO sounds will have the best integration with Notion.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby bcarwell » Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am

Ah thanks Bill for the explanation.

I assume that your comment that the LSO sounds have the best integration w/ Notion applies to the
LSO expansion sound sets as well, correct ?

And am I correct that for all the articulations in LSO that are invoked and play from conventional notation
symbols in a Notion score that you can make those same sounds play back but from
another sample library like Symphobia (assuming of course the other sample library has the corresponding
sounds) by writing scripts or rules or whatever and using the same conventional notation symbols like
crescendo, slur, staccato, etc. ?
bcarwell

Postby Brian2 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am

bcarwell wrote:Ah thanks Bill for the explanation.

I assume that your comment that the LSO sounds have the best integration w/ Notion applies to the
LSO expansion sound sets as well, correct ?

And am I correct that for all the articulations in LSO that are invoked and play from conventional notation
symbols in a Notion score that you can make those same sounds play back but from
another sample library like Symphobia (assuming of course the other sample library has the corresponding
sounds) by writing scripts or rules or whatever and using the same conventional notation symbols like
crescendo, slur, staccato, etc. ?

To clarify a bit more..

The N4 Expansion Sounds (many from the LSO, as well as other amazing musicians) - are handcrafted at the Notion Foundry :-) and fully integrate with Notion.

In addition, Notion has built in mapping for
VSL: Special Edition, Special Edition PLUS, Standard and Extended Libraries
EWQL: Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Play Edition
IK Multimedia: Miroslav Philharmonik
--.42.--
Brian2

Postby bcarwell » Mon May 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks Brian for the quick and informative information. This is VERY helpful to me in considering library acquisitions in the near future.

And I guess I am correct that for the libraries for which Notion does not have built in mapping that a
user can construct this mapping and maybe there is a tutorial(s) on how to do this.

Thanks again.
bcarwell

Postby wcreed51 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes, you can, but it's not for the feint of heart!

Also be aware that something like Symphobia doesn't map well to a notation program, as it's patches are all ensembles of instrument groups. Not that you can't do it, it's just that you won't be able to notate the individual instruments.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Mon May 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Miroslav was not bundled with Notion SLE. Users already owned it. The LSO sounds were bundled with Notion 3 and now Notion 4. We did not revert or remove anything. SLE was offered at a reduced price because it was a Sound Limited Edition for users who already had Sample Libraries and did not want to purchase our sounds. That was the only difference with SLE from the Full version of Notion 3.

Miroslav was not part of our sample library. We never took it out because it was never part of our software. If you owned it, you could use it, and you still can. Even if you upgraded to Notion 3 and now Notion 4, you were getting the LSO sound banks to go along with your previously SLE product. SLE is "Sound Limited Edition".

That was why it was cheaper when it was being offered, but we did not replace anything. You can still use Miroslav or VSL with Notion 4, and there is no offer of SLE. You just get all the sounds to go with it.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION