Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Unable to use N3 as Rewire slave

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Unable to use N3 as Rewire slave

Postby ericsandmeyer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Total noob on the whole re-wire thing but I read the manual and watched Lubo's good video on setting up rewire. I cannot do it for some reason. When I choose "devices" menu item in Cubase, N3 is not on the list as it should be.

I did verify that rewire is enabled in the pref. dialogue in N3. I then did quit N3, started Cubase first, looked under devices, etc.

Lubo said on the video something about "both applications have to be 32 bit." What does this mean and how can you tell if something is "32 bit" or whatever?

Here's everything I know about my system.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 on MacbookPro with 2 Gb RAM
Cubase 5.1
N3 with latest updates as of 11/12/09

eta: I also tried it with Logic 8. It also cannot see N3 as a rewireable app.
ericsandmeyer

Re: Unable to use N3 as Rewire slave

Postby Novatlan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:23 am

You may need to install ReWire first from the Propellerhead website.
The download is located at http://www.propellerheads.se/download/f ... _7_Mac.zip
I don't know why no Audio software says this in the manual^^Happened to me with lots of applications.
Try installing this.

I am curious wether or not you will get ReWire to work in Logic. I do not, despite many, many, many attempts :(
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby ericsandmeyer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:11 am

Novatlan wrote:You may need to install ReWire first from the Propellerhead website.
The download is located at http://www.propellerheads.se/download/f ... _7_Mac.zip
I don't know why no Audio software says this in the manual^^Happened to me with lots of applications.
Try installing this.

I am curious wether or not you will get ReWire to work in Logic. I do not, despite many, many, many attempts :(

Thanks for sending me the link to the driver! I installed it, launched Cubase and saw a little bit of progress. The devices menu now show two rewire aux selections. However, neither of them are N3. I went into N3 preferences, unchecked enable rewire, quit N3, relaunched N3, put the checkbox back on enable rewire, quit N3 again, launched Cubase, still no N3 in the rewire options. Same exact story in Logic.

Is this because of that 32 bit thing?
ericsandmeyer

Postby Novatlan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:59 pm

I actually don't know wether or not this has anything to do with ReWire.
But we'll try it step by step: Open the Notion3 bundle. In the frameworks folder you should find NotionRewire.bundle. Move this to :Library:Application Support:Propellerhead Software
Then N3 should show up in Notion.
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
Novatlan

Postby ericsandmeyer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Novatlan wrote:I actually don't know wether or not this has anything to do with ReWire.
But we'll try it step by step: Open the Notion3 bundle. In the frameworks folder you should find NotionRewire.bundle. Move this to :Library:Application Support:Propellerhead Software
Then N3 should show up in Notion.

That file doesn't appear there. A spotlight search for the filename showed no results. Perhaps that's my problem?
ericsandmeyer

Postby Novatlan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:12 pm

It may be at another place in the Notion application. Right now I don't have any Notion near me, so I can't find out.

You will never find these files via spotlight because they are inside an .app, where Spotlight does not look :)
Novatlan

Postby ericsandmeyer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Novatlan wrote:It may be at another place in the Notion application. Right now I don't have any Notion near me, so I can't find out.

You will never find these files via spotlight because they are inside an .app, where Spotlight does not look :)

I went through every directory and subdirectory in the package as well as in the library directory as well. Nothing there. I guess it's going to be a support call...
ericsandmeyer

Postby Novatlan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:35 am

Ok, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
I misremembered the folders.

The file NotionDevice.bundle should be in the MacOS folder inside the Notion application bundle.
This file has to be copied (make a copy, do not move it) to
root:Library:Application Support:Propellerhead Software:ReWire

Try this and dutifully report back :) We _will_ get the beast and if it is the last I do!!!
Novatlan

Postby ericsandmeyer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:46 am

That's it! The file was called something different from what you initially guessed, but I took a gamble on a different file...I think it was called notionaudio.bundle or something else.

But when I moved it to the directory and launched my DAW Notion was on the rewire list!

Thank you, o great and mighty Novatian! I am in your debt.

And the developers can read this and say, "See? These forums eliminate support calls!" (Except they'd be wrong because I still have to call them about my Kontakt problem...)

Thanks again!

E
ericsandmeyer

Postby Novatlan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:07 pm

You're welcome :)
Glad to be of service. I, too think that forums are a great way of users helping other users and eliminating countless support calls.
Novatlan

Return to NOTION