Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

show the keys played on keyboard

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

show the keys played on keyboard

Postby babaorum » Wed May 01, 2013 2:17 am

Hello,

Is there a way to show the keys played on the virtual keyboard during a playback in Notion ?
If not, is this features planed for a future release ?

Baba
babaorum

Re: show the keys played on keyboard

Postby wcreed51 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:20 am

Why?
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 am

The "Player Piano" functionality is not in and is not planned to be released. It will only eat up system resources in video output. What are the reasons for wanting this functionality?

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby babaorum » Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 am

I'm not a pianist (I'm guitarist for the beginning), I want to learn a piano staff and if the notes would be appeared on the virtual keyboard it could be a great help.
babaorum

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 pm

babaorum wrote:I'm not a pianist (I'm guitarist for the beginning), I want to learn a piano staff and if the notes would be appeared on the virtual keyboard it could be a great help.

I agree with everyone else that having the NOTION 4 keyboard "playing along" makes no sense and, as noted, consumes resources that are best used elsewhere, but there is a way to do it, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:

Specifically, there are several VSTi virtual instruments that have keyboards, and as best as I can determine all of them will "play along" based on the MIDI information sent from NOTION 3 and NOTION 4, where the strategy requires that the VSTi virtual instrument has a standalone user interface, which they usually do, and this is the case with Addictive Keys (XLN Audio), MachFive 3 (MOTU), Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), and all the IK Multimedia virtual instruments (although at present the IK Multimedia virtual instruments are 32-bit only, but you can run NOTION 3, since it is 32-bit, or you can run the 32-bit version of NOTION 4). The other VSTi virtual instruments are 64-bit and as I recall some or all of them have 32-bit versions, as well . . .

You can download SampleTank FREE (IK Multimedia) and its corresponding sample sound demo library at the IK Multimedia website and use it with NOTION 3 or the 32-bit version of NOTION 4 . . .

SampleTank (IK Multimedia)

There is a FREE version of Addictive Keys and it is a studio grand piano. Kontakt 5 has a FREE player with sampled sounds, as well . . .

[NOTE: XLN Audio also has a FREE version of Addictive Drums, which is very nice, and I used it for a while but then upgraded to the full version . . . ]

Additive Keys Studio Grand (XLN Audio)

Kontakt 5 FREE Player (Native Instruments)

The way it works is that you enter the notes on the corresponding staff in your NOTION score for the respective VSTi virtual keyboard, but when you start playback you will click on the NOTION Mixer, which causes it to display, and then you click at the top of the respective channel or "track" in the NOTION Mixer for the VSTi virtual keyboard in the area that looks like label and shows the name you specified for the VSTi virtual instrument, which causes the standalone user interface for the VSTi virtual instrument to be displayed, at which time you will see the keys playing the notes in the NOTION score . . .

SampleTank and MachFive 3 have the best keyboards for being able to see what is being played, but there is no FREE version of MachFive 3 . . .

MachFive 3 is is excellent, and it has extensively sampled sound libraries, so it is not practical to have a FREE version hence try SampleTank or one of the other virtual keyboards that have FREE demo versions, really . . .

Really!

My primary instruments are electric guitar and electric bass, and it is useful to know that standard guitar music notation is shown an octave higher than it actually is, since Middle C on a guitar at standard tuning is the 1st fret on the high-pitch "b" string, but the guitar staff is relative, and it shows Middle C as being the 3rd fret on the low-pitch "A" string, which is wrong or goofy, depending on one's perspective, and the problem with using relative staves is that it gives people a skewed sense of musical reality, at least until they discover what is happening . . .

However, there are merits to using relative staves, and since I learned soprano treble staff notes as a child, which is the only staff that makes sense to me, I do everything using a soprano treble staff, since I can set the staff to play its note from 1 to 2 octaves higher or lower, as well as at different smaller intervals, although I limit the transformations to 1 or 2 octaves lower . . .

Once you study a piano keyboard for a while, you will observe that there are 12 notes and 8 or so octaves, and this is the way I do everything, since it is mathematically and geometrically elegant, plus it is vastly easier to understand and remember . . .

A piano keyboard is linear, but the strings of a guitar essentially are six (6) stacked piano keyboards offset at a combination of regular intervals with the exception of the high-pitch "G" and "b" string interval, which is nice for chords and some types of scales but otherwise is just weird, but so what . . .

So what!

Explained another way, a piano keyboard is like a one-string guitar, where each key on the piano is like a fret on the guitar, but instead of being logarithmically spaced like guitar frets, the keys of a piano are spaced differently to make it easier to play . . .

So, if you stack six (6) pianos and offset each piano by the same interval as the respective guitar strings, then you have the piano equivalent of a guitar, where for example E4 (the E above Middle C, where Middle C is C4) will be in the same vertical line with the A4 of the piano directly on top of it, and the piano on top of the second piano will align to D5, and so forth . . .

The advantage of having a piano or keyboard is that chords make a lot more sense when you see how they are played on a piano or keyboard, since as noted a piano is like a one-string guitar, except that you can play a lot of notes simultaneously, which you cannot do on on guitar . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby babaorum » Wed May 01, 2013 2:11 pm

thanks for that way , I have Kontakt 5.

It could be just an option, if this is a resources pb. All VSTis do that, I doubt about that consumes a lot of CPU ...
babaorum

Return to NOTION