Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Does NOTION load a unique instance per preset?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Does NOTION load a unique instance per preset?

Postby Szurcio1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm

A quote from a competitive software forum:
"Notion seems to load up an independent Player VST for each preset, so you can end up with a ton of ARIA Players that only have 1 out of 16 presets loaded."
Is it true? That would seem like an enormous waste of CPU and RAM resources (I'm sorry, I haven't tested the Notion demo yet but I'm in the middle of trying to find an ideal notation + VST playback package).
Last edited by astinov on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to more accurately represent the inquiry.
Szurcio1

Re: Notion playback a CPU hog?

Postby Novatlan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:46 pm

Yep, but in my experience it makes little to no difference how many instances of a plugin are loaded. At least with EWQLSO it definitively doesn't on my system.
As for the built-in sounds, Notion3 is as far away from being a resource hog as possible. I never have more than 10% CPU load even on very big scores. That's absolutely great, in my opinion.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Re: Notion playback a CPU hog?

Postby piotr979 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Well, it seems to be true. I've loaded some .notion files (EastWest Platinium Orchestra presets) to reedit it for Orchestra Gold and each file opens another instance of play (although all 16 channels are used).
Same with Garritan Orchestra. When you add for example eight instruments , each one will be using separate instance of Aria engine. :(

but as Novatlan wrote, perhaps there is no big difference...
piotr979

Re: Does NOTION load a unique instance per preset?

Postby Novatlan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 pm

There may be a difference with ARIA, which I don't have.
I have observed that i.e. Stylus RMX takes looooooooots of CPU cycles - I am positive that this is a bug in Stylus.
Play! behaves very good, as does Kontakt.
At last on multi-core machines, more instances are actually good :)
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Re: Does NOTION load a unique instance per preset?

Postby astinov » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Dear Szurcio1,

In general, NOTION loads a unique instance per each individual instrument preset and a single instance loaded with multiple instruments for its Section presets. Currently, NOTION has Section presets for VSL Special Edition , but not for GPO4, hence why it loads a preset per instrument. Unlike in other software packages, NOTION allows you to very easily combine multiple libraries into one document, preserving all articulations playback etc....This approach is helpful in this situation.

In addition, you can customize your own playback and include a VSTi such as GPO4 and then further add your own keyswitches, CC changes etc, through sequencer staffs, completely unrelated to the presets.

In conclusion, the presets are provided there for your convienience, but if you dont like their setup, you could customize it to whatever you need with sequencer staffs and other tools. Check out the tutorials we have here, hopefully they will give you more information. Also, as several people here have mentioned this doesn't result in a CPU overkill. My suggestion would be to give it a try and see how it works for yourself.

Thanks, hope this helped.

Lubo Astinov

P.S. I modified the title of your post to more aqurately represent your question.
astinov

Return to NOTION