Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

replace notes with rests

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

replace notes with rests

Postby frabato56 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Is there a way to replace a group of, for example, sixteenth notes (not contiguous) with sixteenth rests?

Thanks
frabato56

Re: replace notes with rests

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:27 am

Can you show some pictures of exactly what you want to do? I probably have some solutions for you, but I want to make sure I go down the proper rabbit hole.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby frabato56 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Can you show some pictures of exactly what you want to do?

Actually, I don't know how to do that. Do you mean take a screenshot? Can those be inserted in these posts? Anyway if someone can point me towards a tutorial or give me some quick instructions on how to do this, I would appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll explain what I'm trying to do in greater detail. I have 32 measures of sixteenth note arpeggios (F - Bb - C - D - G) the arpeggios are in a ten note pattern so 10/32 against 4/4 time. In one section I would like to copy the F's and D's and keep them in their same rhythmic location and assign those to a different instrument, so I thought if I could convert the other sixteenth notes (the Bb's, C's and G's) to sixteenth note rests, I would have what I want.

Thanks
frabato56

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Posting rests over the tops of your notes will overwrite the notes with rests. Or, you can select all of the notes you would like to use, and manually place the rests in between. Be careful not to overwrite the notes you want, but as soon as you do, you can hit undo and move the cursor back just a bit.

Another possibly faster way to handle this is to use Step-Entry Mode. You can either press the "step" icon in the transport or "Command (CTRL PC) + E".

Step Time in Transport.png
Step Time in Transport.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 11847 times

After you have entered the mode, select the rhythmic value you would like to add to the measures. Then, using your MIDI Keyboard, play the notes in the proper locations over the 32 bars. Each time you want to enter a rest, press space bar. This is a fast method of entry and you can watch the notes line up to the pre-existing notes in the other staff.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby frabato56 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Yes, step entry mode turned out to be the fastest. Thanks very much for the reply!
frabato56

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Happy to help.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:09 am

What about adding a "turn the selected notes into rests of the same value" command with shortcut?
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby dgriffee » Wed May 01, 2013 2:07 am

fabiolcati wrote:What about adding a "turn the selected notes into rests of the same value" command with shortcut?

Not exactly what you want but maybe the following would be a helpful tip:
You could use the "tacit" feature to effectively accomplish note removal as far as the sounding and preserving note durations and rhythms of remaning notes in the measure. The "tacited" notes will still appear (ghosted), but nice thing is it does not mess up the positioning of dynamic markings. When you change notes into rests, Notion moves dynamic markings around and you have to edit them back into position within the measure that has been changed, which is normal and makes good sense in terms of logic. This is not a workaround for a bug nor a flaw, this is just an advantage of using "tacit" instead of changing notes into rests when you already have something written and decide to edit out some notes, especially if you use a lot of dynamics.
dgriffee

Postby Michaeljohn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:50 am

but nice thing is it does not mess up the positioning of dynamic markings. When you change notes into rests, Notion moves dynamic markings around and you have to edit them back into position within the measure that has been changed, which is normal and makes good sense in terms of logic. This is not a workaround for a bug nor a flaw, this is just an advantage of using "tacit" instead of changing notes into rests when you already have something written and decide to edit out some

Postby frabato56 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:22 am

This tacet thing is very interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.
frabato56

Return to NOTION