Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Tremolos

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Tremolos

Postby Bluerain » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 am

I cannot manage to hear the wright playing when entering Tremolo (for strings). Notion is playing the first note as often the Tremolo indicates and then plays only once the last note. That should be the first one and the scond one according the tempo and the tremolo speed (8, 16 or 32)
Do you have a solution?

Thank you
Bluerain

Re: Tremolos

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 am

Bluerain wrote:I cannot manage to hear the wright playing when entering Tremolo (for strings). Notion is playing the first note as often the Tremolo indicates and then plays only once the last note. That should be the first one and the scond one according the tempo and the tremolo speed (8, 16 or 32)
Do you have a solution?

Thank you

As I recall, if you are using NOTION instruments, then for some of the articulations you need to get the Expansion Sounds, which is the case for some of the articulations for strings, where a clue to this is found in a recent discussion about a type of tremolo called "shakes", which is where the clue about this particular articulation requiring the Expansion Sounds for violins or something, where the specific observation is that certain articulations are available only for the NOTION "section strings" . . .

[NOTE: This is the topic where the aforementioned information is found, along with some essentially random but oddly related thoughts that I was having at the time. However, I am not certain that this is the topic where the reference to needing the Expansion Sounds for specific instruments was mentioned, but my recollection tends to be accurate, and I definitely recall reading something about advanced functionality being provided with Expansion Sounds. Someone from Notion Music can clarify this, but I think that you need the Expansion Sounds for strings to do certain types of what I consider to be advanced articulations . . . ]

Problem getting trills/shakes right (Notion Music FORUM)

My focus here in the sound isolation studio is more on DISCO, Pop, and Heavy Metal, and "tremolo" maps to the type of effects pedal or circuit that wobbles the volume level for an electric guitar, while "vibrato" wobbles the pitch of notes, which most likely is entirely different from the uses of "tremolo" and "vibrato" in Classical, Orchestral, or Symphonic music, at least with respect to doing these things with an effects pedal, with the exception that vibrato done with fingers on the fretboard of an electric guitar is the same as the way it is done on a violin, although the specific techniques are different due to an electric guitar having frets, which for electric guitar maps to an up and down motion that essentially is like a series of tiny "string bends", since doing vibrato the way it is done on violin does not work for an electric guitar, because on violin all you need to do is to rock the fingertip of your finger back and forth to do vibrato. The other way to do vibrato on an electric guitar is to do it with a whammy bar, as is the case with a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with a two-point synchronized tremolo . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby reztes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:49 pm

You have to write the fingered tremolo using the 32th, 16th o whatever and, yes, it's a pain. ¬¬
reztes

Postby thorrild » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:23 pm

reztes wrote:You have to write the fingered tremolo using the 32th, 16th o whatever and, yes, it's a pain. ¬¬

Fortunately, when there is pain, it usually helps if you apply money: The String Techniques Bundle ($79) has true tremolo for intervals up to a fourth, plus a whole lot of other "extended" string techniques. The tremolos sound really good. If you don't want (or need) more than one string instrument, the 4 instruments are sold individually at $25 each.

Note that expansion sounds for other instrument groups do not come with tremolos. Those still have to be written out...

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Other sample libraries have tremolos, if only Notion played them!
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Return to NOTION