Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

EWQL Dynamics

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

EWQL Dynamics

Postby gregmo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 am

Is there a way to do crescendo or decrescendo on held notes, ie, whole notes? The notes play at one volume, and don't "grow" in volume at all....I know EWQL has cross-fading samples, etc., but Notion just doesn't play them for some reason, unless I'm doing something wrong!!!
gregmo

Re: EWQL Dynamics

Postby pcartwright » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:59 am

Have you looked to see if the crossfade ewql patches are loaded? If they aren't, simply replace the static sample in Play with a crossfading one.
pcartwright

Postby gregmo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Isn't that the point of using the EWQL presets as provided in Notion4? Shouldn't they work already? I looked at the sample list that loads with the presets. It seems like 10-15 samples load for each instrument already. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for concerning the "crossfade" samples. I just want the hairpins to play. They seem to play right out of the box with VSL SE, but not with EWQL.....help, please!!!!!
gregmo

Postby Leosc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:34 pm

I suspect the problem is this: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3294
Leosc

Postby pcartwright » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 pm

gregmo wrote:Isn't that the point of using the EWQL presets as provided in Notion4? Shouldn't they work already? I looked at the sample list that loads with the presets. It seems like 10-15 samples load for each instrument already. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for concerning the "crossfade" samples. I just want the hairpins to play. They seem to play right out of the box with VSL SE, but not with EWQL.....help, please!!!!!

Well, no. I've used GPO with Notion extensively and EWQL from time to time, and there is room for improvement on how these libraries are handled "out of the box" with Notion.

Do you use EWQL with other programs or DAWs? If so, you should know that most of the EWQL samples trigger dynamic by MIDI velocity. MIDI velocity is only transmitted once per note. Obviously, this doesn't work for dynamic changes on a single note, so EWQL included cross fade samples/patches as a way to get around this limitation.

The issue with CC data is only part of the challenge. Notion, from what I can tell, doesn't load crossfade patches.

Try this:
    Load Violins I (full) in Notion
    Open the Play interface (cntrl + i)
    Change the patch in channel one from "18V Butter Legato Forte" to one of the ModXfd Violin patches and see if your crescendos/decrescendos start working.
pcartwright

Postby gregmo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 am

I just tried that. When I switch samples to one of the ModXF patches on channel one, for some reason, they don't play at all on the score. They work fine on the VST interface. So, no crescendos loaded with the presets, then when I change samples, nothing plays at all....just silence for some reason. Weird. I guess I can use VSL until it's resolved. At least, I hope they can somehow do some rules such as they did with VSL. There's just some sounds and samples I prefer with EWQL over the VSL....although VSL works with Notion much better than EWQL overall. I know the folks at Notion aren't going to please everyone, and there's always some "gripe" that someone will have....myself included....Notion is still the best out there....
gregmo

Return to NOTION