Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Using Vienna in Notion 4

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Using Vienna in Notion 4

Postby idiotSavant » Thu May 15, 2014 9:03 pm

wcreed51 wrote:Why use VE? Just select VSL SE Pro instruments. You will instantiate an instance VI Pro for each staff. Much simpler...

All due respect to Bill, there are some definite advantages to using Vienna Ensemble. For example, I use VE to build sections and ensembles using Dimension Strings. I can have a staff for Violins I, for instance, that has many instruments in it (see screen shot attached). I have one instrument for each divisi group, that routes to a single bus for the Unison sound (this "instrument" is actually made up of 8 different sampled instruments in the Vienna Pro "Instrument"), soloists, etc. I assign these to different midi channels for that VE instance and then I can use the instrument assignment function in Notion to change on the same staff between Uni, Div, Solo, etc. I also have effects just on the Violins I for EQ and sound shaping.

I do this for all the main sections (each String section, Brass, Winds, Percussion, etc). I can also control panning and routing to MIR Pro more effectively this way. All of this gives you a finer granularity of control than you can get with Notion and the rather limited mixer capabilities that comes out of the box.

Granted this all comes at the expense of simplicity, but I really enjoy the tools that VE gives me for creating multiple bus subsections on each VE mixer, routing effects and interface with MIR Pro.

Violin VE.tiff
Violin VE.tiff (306.91 KiB) Viewed 30098 times
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby DaddyO » Fri May 16, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for sharing how you work WITH Vienna Ensemble. Maybe at some point later I can graduate to doing it that way. I still haven't been able to figure out why Notion 4 on my PC isn't generating a Vienna Ensemble instance when I click "Empty Ensemble." There's gotta be a reason, I just have no idea what it is.

Postby idiotSavant » Fri May 16, 2014 12:23 am

DaddyO, it does seem overwhelming at first. I remember I struggled with it for a week or so to try to figure out how to make things work. I'm on Mac, so I can't help you with your exact issue, but I do remember I had to be sure to use the button for VSL Special Edition (NOT VSL Special Edition PRO), Special Staff, Empty Ensemble. It took me a while to figure that one out.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Postby wcreed51 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:12 am

Those are advantages when using MIR and Dim strings. For SE, it's just as easy to use then as single instruments...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby DaddyO » Fri May 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Just out of curiosity, what device do you guys use for VSL to work with Second Violins sections, or other situations where the same library instrument is used more than once?

Postby wcreed51 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby DaddyO » Fri May 16, 2014 5:36 pm

So you use the transposition trick. I'm familiar with that using Cubase. How do you handle that in Notion?
I hadn't noticed the Second Violins patches in VI Pro 2 referred to by the responder in that thread. I just looked and I don't find any.

What about you, idiotSavant?

Postby idiotSavant » Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 pm

DaddyO wrote:So you use the transposition trick. I'm familiar with that using Cubase. How do you handle that in Notion?
I hadn't noticed the Second Violins patches in VI Pro 2 referred to by the responder in that thread. I just looked and I don't find any.

What about you, idiotSavant?

I use Dimension Strings. Since the samples are all of individual instruments it's not an issue.
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Previous

Return to NOTION