Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Looping

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Looping

Postby GaryExo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:15 pm

As I'm currently engrossed in composing a work for four violins and a percussion ensemble I find myself wishing that I could set a region to loop in Notion. I don't think I would normally require this function but I'm very used to working with rhythms in Ableton Live and used to use extensive looping whilst trying things out. In my current piece I'm creating highly complex meshing of sounds and would love to be able to work in my old manner within Notion. For now I've resorted to working in both Notion and Live. I'm experimenting and creating mostly in Live then exporting MIDI clips and importing them to Notion.

Do the Notion chaps think they will include a looping function soon? You obviously feel there is much merit in what you already provide via sequencer view and looping is a rock solid standard in every sequencer available. I think it makes plenty of sense to have it within Notion.
GaryExo

Re: Looping

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 pm

There's a tutorial video on doing just that.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:45 am

Looping is available. There are two ways to do it. To see how it is done, visit this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBWuUE4CTvQ

Enjoy,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:30 pm

In this video, Josh solos the selected bars, but doesn't say what keystroke he's using to do that.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby GaryExo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks but that's of no use to me at all. What I'm wanting to do is edit whilst looping. I just tried out this method and all it allows you to do is simply play back. I still don't think there is a looped edit mode available in Notion. Am I right?

I would like a way to loop a section, have it play back continuously whilst allowing me to move notes around or insert and delete new notes.
GaryExo

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 pm

wcreed51 wrote:In this video, Josh solos the selected bars, but doesn't say what keystroke he's using to do that.

To Solo the selected bars, you just select the bars that you want to solo. You just select what you want to hear and press the spacebar. You can select sections of music by holding shift, or Command (CTRL PC), to grab multiple instruments in a score in a particular section of music.

This only works if you do not have anything soloed in the mixer. So, if it is not working for you, make sure that your instruments are not soloed or muted in the mixer.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby b13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 am

Yes, looping should be possible in Edit-Mode. I have to adjust the startingpoint and start everytime new, if i edited something, to hear and check, if it´s right.
b13

Postby b13 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 am

Untill they maybe install a lopping-feature into edit-mode you can loop in edit-mode, if you remote Notion as a Rewire-Slave from a Rewire-Host.

For me the Host has been "Ableton Live", the slave has been Notion. The looping-function of the host takes the slave with. The Host (for example "Ableton") sends Midi-clock to the slave (in this case "Notion") and remotes the slave with "Start", "Stop" "Songposition" and "Loop". You have to adjust the looping area at the host, not at Notion.

The area is able to unfit (not sync), if there are "repeats" written in the score of Notion and the sequencer (Host) has not the same number of measures as the repeated Notion-Part. (Normally Sequencer-Programms dont know written "repeats" and can´t handle them as a notation-software does.)

I also didn´t check, if there is a possibility for editing notes, while the loop goes.
b13

Postby GaryExo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am

b13 wrote:Untill they maybe install a lopping-feature into edit-mode you can loop in edit-mode, if you remote Notion as a Rewire-Slave from a Rewire-Host.

For me the Host has been "Ableton Live", the slave has been Notion. The looping-function of the host takes the slave with. The Host (for example "Ableton") sends Midi-clock to the slave (in this case "Notion") and remotes the slave with "Start", "Stop" "Songposition" and "Loop". You have to adjust the looping area at the host, not at Notion.

The area is able to unfit (not sync), if there are "repeats" written in the score of Notion and the sequencer (Host) has not the same number of measures as the repeated Notion-Part. (Normally Sequencer-Programms dont know written "repeats" and can´t handle them as a notation-software does.)

I also didn´t check, if there is a possibility for editing notes, while the loop goes.

This is exactly what I thought I should try so I did. Ableton Live wouldn't see Notion, I had no options for routing MIDI or audio with Notion which I assume is due to Live being 32 bit and Notion being 64 bit.
GaryExo

Postby b13 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:21 am

Yes, both have to be the same. If your Ableton is 32 bit, you have to start Notion in 32 bit. Then it will work.
b13

Next

Return to NOTION